R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #5101
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
Did you notice a difference between say 9 DDRS and 1 or 4 DDRS?

DDRS is the only setting that is a little hazy for me. I know it is punch but how does the esc do that? Is it frequency or something else? and is it at full throttle or also when i squeeze the trigger slowly? For how long / distance will it be?

In my pro10 i have punch at 1 or 2 as i don't want to have punch out of slow corners. I always roll on the throttle for the first meter or two so i didn't think it was of much use. I never tried anything else to be honest so that is why i want to understand it a little more.

Acceleration wise it can hold it's own against other brands but a little more understanding of how it works is interesting as well.
I can tell the difference mainly when running 1/12 17.5. When I have the DDRS at 9, I can spin the wheels off the car, and drift thru the corners. When I put the DDRS at 6-7, I have lots of rip, but dont spin the rear wheels out of the corners. I change it with grip levels, low grip, low DDRS, high grip, high DDRS. Also, A nice side effect of running a lower DDRS, is towards the end of the race, other racers have lost alot of power, my lap times are more consistant.

I dont know how it actually works, I have heard its a current limiting setting, which prevents the motor from making to much torque, which causes the wheel spin.

I had my WGT car out for its maiden race today, and reduced the DDRS to a 7. I am going to have to work on the setup though, as I was almost 8 tenths off pace of the TQ (per lap). Normally I am around 3-4 tenths off his pace.

Shawn
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #5102
Tech Master

Thanks for the info. If DDRS is like you say it is then it should come in handy.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #5103
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irri Tant View Post
so if it's not showing rpm it has max torques
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
Yes. SlowerOne is completely right with regards to his motor theory. Thats why Pro10 cars are faster then most nitro cars. They have better torque at low RPM, allowing the car to accelerate faster.

Shawn.
As Shawn says... Not only do Pro-10 (and TCs for that matter!) have more torque, but they weigh a lot less too. With the latest cells and motors, and some speedo timing, our TCs at our largest tracks can now do the same speed as nitros - over 70mph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I've highlighted a sentance here just to clarify one point (as I understand it)...
119STOCK does exactly as described above in terms of Turbo. If the delay is met, then it puts it in.
211STOCK is a bit different, in that the delay and full boost have to be met before it adds the turbo timing. In which case 211 avoids dumping in too much timing in, too early... which makes it a little smoother.

HiH
Ed
Ed, if that's the case then that does explain why the HW is so smooth. It's a clever piece of programming that would ensure that the adjustments one makes actually work better. Perhaps someone could confirm this is how it works? Thanks.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #5104
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi all,

Anyone using Hobbywing Xerun 120A v2 esc with Nosram sensored motors? If u do, is the motor or ESC working fine without issues?

I hv a Nosram Dragon 9.5t motor connected and it seems that everytime after i full throttle, the green LEDs on the ESC will start blinking and stay that way even after i let go of the throttle. The motor and ESC are not hot btw. I have also turned off the turbo function on the ESC. I'm using the 211 software on the ESC and the firmware in the LCD program box is v1.07 119.

I hope anyone who uses this combo can help or give any input, short of me changing the ESC or motor. Thanks!!
kamenkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #5105
Tech Initiate

To be fair, HobbyWing made their name and reputation on being cheap with little customer service and that is why most of us on the forum have HobbyWing ESC's, theat was their niche. You could buy 2 HW for the price of the idenitcal SpeedPassion, but you paid your money and made your choice. If you wanted customer service you bought the SP and if you want to take your chances then buy the HW.

This forum used to be about racers helping each other, who were happy to share advice because they were on to a good thing. Now the ESC's are almost the same price as SP, so what is the point? Its almost becoming like Nosram and LRP!

It wasn't so long ago when Cherry was posting links to eBay sellers in HK giving the best deals on HW products, and would have been saying go to GiantCod to get a Justock for a little over 30.

I'm not usually one to have a moan but trying to cut low margin sellers out of the market is disrespectful to the sellers who built the HW brand.
Rocking Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #5106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
As Shawn says... Not only do Pro-10 (and TCs for that matter!) have more torque, but they weigh a lot less too. With the latest cells and motors, and some speedo timing, our TCs at our largest tracks can now do the same speed as nitros - over 70mph!
Drawing comparisons recently has become hard, yes electric is fast, but the why hurts a little, yes they do weigh a lot less, but also electric has reached a situation now where it's unlimited motor size (mod) and/or almost unlimited fuel reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocking Donkey View Post
I'm not usually one to have a moan but trying to cut low margin sellers out of the market is disrespectful to the sellers who built the HW brand.
Yep, I also find it a bit rough to bag who really built the brand, yeah it's a good product etc, but seriously a direct from China brand does not build the rep it's now got without the HK marketing and selling arm, to be honest if I ever saw the HK market and sellers get frozen out, and prices go up because of that, I'd switch brands...
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331

Last edited by Bishop; 05-23-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #5107
Tech Adept

Quote:
To be fair, HobbyWing made their name and reputation on being cheap with little customer service and that is why most of us on the forum have HobbyWing ESC's, theat was their niche. You could buy 2 HW for the price of the idenitcal SpeedPassion, but you paid your money and made your choice. If you wanted customer service you bought the SP and if you want to take your chances then buy the HW.

This forum used to be about racers helping each other, who were happy to share advice because they were on to a good thing. Now the ESC's are almost the same price as SP, so what is the point? Its almost becoming like Nosram and LRP!

It wasn't so long ago when Cherry was posting links to eBay sellers in HK giving the best deals on HW products, and would have been saying go to GiantCod to get a Justock for a little over 30.

+1

Your post pretty much sums up my opinion of this forum and Cherry and Cobra racings attitude to it. I have now switched back to Speed Passion and Tekin as I buy it from my LHS so deal with him. Giant cod are a great company with good customer service in my opinion and were selling Hobbywing products long before Racers in Exile.
Quit frankly a new racer joining this forum would be put off buying from Hobbwing after reading there comments.
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #5108
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

is it possible if running boost timing below 20 & turbo timing below 10 ?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #5109
Tech Elite

Quote:

No direspect to you whatsover but now we have listened to you now take the time to listen to me

The price of the esc's is not the same as sp never has been never will be and to say cutting out low margin sellers is disrespectful thats were you are wrong to .Low Margin sellers are disrespecting the brand and devalueing the brand at the same time .

Do you know how many complaints i deal with everyday about these sellers who don't support the customer in tech support and after sales service do you know how many complaints hobbywing gets from customers this is not from retail stores but from the end users who buy off these guys .So were is the support from the online low margin seller ?Please let me know so i can contact them.

The work load i have everyday actually take me 18 hours a day to complete.

Pricing isn't going up at all the service and the support is only going to get better thats all .

All im trying to do is create and build buying channels that the end user can get not only a good price for a product but also get the support they deserve when something goes wrong and not passing the buck to someone else.

So i understand your point but please respect and understand our stance as well.

thank you for your time .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #5110
Tech Regular

To be fair,
Service is so America.
If we cann choose between 2 of the same products but 1 is double the price...?
But with the expensive 1 you get service..thats just cooked air people.
Why do you need service on a ESC..? Just wire it the right way, drive it and make the right adjustments. If its broke 99/100 its your own fault, just buy a new one.

Service is so funny.
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #5111
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
To be fair,
Service is so America.
If we cann choose between 2 of the same products but 1 is double the price...?
But with the expensive 1 you get service..thats just cooked air people.
Why do you need service on a ESC..? Just wire it the right way, drive it and make the right adjustments. If its broke 99/100 its your own fault, just buy a new one.

Service is so funny.
Tell that to the 50 odd dead speedos I have sitting in my store room less than a quarter of which we actually sold, UK customers expect sterling customer service and repair, but don't want to pay for it. We have been replacing ESC's from various 'sellers' and no most people don't blame themselves, the most common 'fault' is THAT IT JUST STOPPED WORKING, when it had blatently been overtimed, too hot a motor or generally abused but no it just stopped working. So no people dont blame themselves and buy another they expect a replacement and they can be quite nasty about it too.

On another note, slightlty lighter I may say, all my exams and assignments are done I have returned from my trips abroad and am free to talk, Inventory is low due to stock sitting in Model shops on sale or return but this will change in the very near future as I am in the process of re mortgaging my house to sink into Hobbywing Product.
Anyone else willing to bet their home on the product?

Even lighter note.......

Very fast settings (Crap driver/setup) for Adur as follows
518STOCK
3000RPM
Boost Max
Turbo Max
Setting 15 -5 to -6
HW 13.5 T
Gearing around 6.545:1
Stoopid quick everywhere easy to setup easy to work out I love 518.

pm me for my cell number as the divert from landline has 'issues'.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #5112
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Interesting to note your settings for Adur Cherry.

In 21.5 turn at the STCC Adur, a Hobbywing was right on the pace, and its the reason I have just ordered an Xtreme stock!!!

Would you change those settings much for a 21.5 Speed Passion V3 motor and would they be a good starting point?

Cheers
T
www.akularacing.co.uk
Toblerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #5113
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblerone View Post
Interesting to note your settings for Adur Cherry.

In 21.5 turn at the STCC Adur, a Hobbywing was right on the pace, and its the reason I have just ordered an Xtreme stock!!!

Would you change those settings much for a 21.5 Speed Passion V3 motor and would they be a good starting point?

Cheers
T
Would probably just gear it up a bit more maybe 6ish??little less maybe, but always remember that the HW motors like to rev, they are not a torquey motor they are free revving, so let them rev and don't forget to turn on the thermal protection to protect the motor as when they rev they can get a bit warm.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #5114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

haters go burn yourselves
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #5115
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
haters go burn yourselves
1.5 years with the same Xerun 120A, still going strong..!
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote