R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #5086
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Craig W Send a message via Skype™ to Craig W

The club were I race is 50% Hobbywing products and another I vistit is 80% Hobbywing Products

Think at BRCA Clubmans there was about 50% Hobbywing product racing
Craig W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #5087
Tech Adept

A few days ago I wrote here about my new Xtreme stock having almost no brakes at all, while with the Xerun 60A I have to reduce the ATL on the radio to 45% to have the same effect on brakes.
Can someone tell if the Xtreme stock is built this way, or it MAY have a problem?

Due to space restraints, I find it hard to install either Xerun (60A or 120A, they have the same bigger footprint) inside the Thunder Tiger SB-5 1/5th scale racing bike, while the Xtreme stock fits nicely, including the fan. I am running a Nosram 17.5T (equivalent to X11), have set forward brake 100%, reverse 100%, and of course when setting it up, my radio is at 100% ATL. Also, due to class restrictions, I run no front brake.

KP-Designs KP10e 1/5 rc bike, Kyosho Lazer ZX-5, HPI Baja SS, Xray T1 FK05, Venom GPV1 1/8 rc bike, Anderson M5 Cross 1/5 rc bike, TT SB-5 1/5 rc bike

Last edited by steliosh; 05-22-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spellling!
steliosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #5088
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
The club were I race is 50% Hobbywing products and another I vistit is 80% Hobbywing Products

Think at BRCA Clubmans there was about 50% Hobbywing product racing
Craig please read my post properly i have no dout that hobbywing is large in the club scene but what i was talking about is Hobby stores not clubs.We need support in the uk and thats what stuart can deliver online stores dont want to support the customer but just sell to them thats all, all the rest is left to stuart who hasn't even sold the product to the customer so why should it be left on stuarts back to sort out an issue when he hasn't made a penny think about it is it fair?

we need the product in the stores were the customer can walk in and talk face to face with a rep and get the customer service he or she deserves.
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #5089
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
A few days ago I wrote here about my new Xtreme stock having almost no brakes at all, while with the Xerun 60A I have to reduce the ATL on the radio to 45% to have the same effect on brakes.
Can someone tell if the Xtreme stock is built this way, or it MAY have a problem?

Due to space restraints, I find it hard to install either Xerun (60A or 120A, they have the same bigger footprint) inside the Thunder Tiger SB-5 1/5th scale racing bike, while the Xtreme stock fits nicely, including the fan. I am running a Nosram 17.5T (equivalent to X11), have set forward brake 100%, reverse 100%, and of course when setting it up, my radio is at 100% ATL. Also, due to class restrictions, I run no front brake.
What firmware are you using? 211? let us know.
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
Old 05-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #5090
Tech Adept

yes, Angelo, 211.
I am familiar with upgrading firmwares since the early days (two Xerun 60A's and a 120A later...)
I also have all the earlier versions, and I can "downgrade" if needed...
Edit: I also use 211 in the xerun 60A, in my other bike (KP10), with a Trinity Duo2 17.5T motor and exactly the same gearing.
I have not switched motors, though.

KP-Designs KP10e 1/5 rc bike, Kyosho Lazer ZX-5, HPI Baja SS, Xray T1 FK05, Venom GPV1 1/8 rc bike, Anderson M5 Cross 1/5 rc bike, TT SB-5 1/5 rc bike
Old 05-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #5091
Tech Adept

These are my settings on both speedo's:

drag brake 10%
ddrs level 5
brakeforce 100%
rev. force 100%
initial brake: Drag
neutral 6%
Boost 50,
slope 18,
turbo 20,
start rpm 3000,
delay 0.2,
timing acc 150

Old 05-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #5092
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

anyone mind posting the link to the page of shared set ups?

You aint messin wit my dougie..
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #5093
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Requesting if Hobbywing could incorporate traction control in the next software upgrade. Basically sense when motor rpm spikes up and control it.

Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #5094
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Craig please read my post properly i have no dout that hobbywing is large in the club scene but what i was talking about is Hobby stores not clubs.We need support in the uk and thats what stuart can deliver online stores dont want to support the customer but just sell to them thats all, all the rest is left to stuart who hasn't even sold the product to the customer so why should it be left on stuarts back to sort out an issue when he hasn't made a penny think about it is it fair?

we need the product in the stores were the customer can walk in and talk face to face with a rep and get the customer service he or she deserves.
At UK retail Price of 74.95 this is the breakdown......

VAT 12.95
Shipping etc 4.95
Markup for Model Shop 14.50

Costs due to these 32.50

Racers in Exile takes around 5.00 for wholesale produce and has to spend hours on phone supporting all the people we supply as well as all the people Giantcod supply due to them knowing nothing about the product and not really caring once the unit is sold. They have even in the past referred people to me for warranty work.

I take the time to help out individuals both here and on the phone and I am getting fed up with doing it for nothing.

I would like to mention a conversation with one of the UK's more famous and friendly retailers who we supply, "so we only make 15 from an ESC, with Speedpassion we get at least double that".

Ask Rob at Giantcod if you can borrow his laptop at a race meeting to update your ESC? Ask him to exchange units that have blown up? The main reason we have low stock levels is because we sell to the trade and have to keep a large portion of our stock tied up to cover the replacement of units.

Go buy from GC, I know you all hate paying VAT but unfortunately it is a fact of life when shops supply / support them GC does none of this and does not support the racers with help advice and a point of contact.

I am happy to stop trying to spread the brand and leave you all to the tender mercies of HK sellers and sites like GC where you are on your own.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #5095
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irri Tant View Post
so if it's not showing rpm it has max torques
Yes. SlowerOne is completely right with regards to his motor theory. Thats why Pro10 cars are faster then most nitro cars. They have better torque at low RPM, allowing the car to accelerate faster.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #5096
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Requesting if Hobbywing could incorporate traction control in the next software upgrade. Basically sense when motor rpm spikes up and control it.

Thanks.
You can "Kinda" control this with the DDRS Value. If you are spinning your wheels coming out of the corner, lower the DDRS a notch.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #5097
Tech Elite

I recieved a phone call this morning from Greg Fisher and an email from our friends in Thailand that the owner and operator of Rc City Thailand Mr P art passed away yesterday .If some of you dont know rc city it was the rc centre of this years TITC race .

From all of us from the hobbywing family and rc industry we send our condolenses to Mr P arts family and we hope that his family can continue to run rc city as we know that was Mr P Art dream to finish building a state of the art rc centre were all could enjoy the friendships that r/c brings .

Rest in Peace and may god be with you .

with maximum respect Angelo
Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #5098
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the tip. I'm already running DRRS at 7, two steps below default.

I've seen esc with true traction control. Just hoping Hobbywing can give that upgrade.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #5099
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
You can "Kinda" control this with the DDRS Value. If you are spinning your wheels coming out of the corner, lower the DDRS a notch.

Shawn.

Did you notice a difference between say 9 DDRS and 1 or 4 DDRS?

DDRS is the only setting that is a little hazy for me. I know it is punch but how does the esc do that? Is it frequency or something else? and is it at full throttle or also when i squeeze the trigger slowly? For how long / distance will it be?

In my pro10 i have punch at 1 or 2 as i don't want to have punch out of slow corners. I always roll on the throttle for the first meter or two so i didn't think it was of much use. I never tried anything else to be honest so that is why i want to understand it a little more.

Acceleration wise it can hold it's own against other brands but a little more understanding of how it works is interesting as well.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #5100
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
You thought wrong...

Sensored means that the speedo can be told where the rotor is, but it cannot be told how the fluctuating interaction of the magnetic fields is. When the speedo knows where the rotor is, it can tell you angle and speed.

Knowing angle means the speedo can work out when to fire the coils in relation to the instructions you gave it in the programming box. If you told it to increase the timing by one degree per 200 rpm (boost), the speedo will do just that. As it knows what the rpm is, it will deliver one degree every 200 rpm, and if it doesn't see the rpm, it doesn't deliver the timing.

However, when you tell it to put in turbo after X seconds at a rate of XX degrees per seconds, this has no relation to revs - it just does it. So, if the motor has achieved 70% of the boost revs when the turbo comes in, that can be too much timing, causing a poor interaction of the magnetic fields, and thus the motor stops accelerating and just generates heat. That is why turbo is so useless on short tracks, because it comes in when you tell it to, and not when the motor can accept it.

ALWAYS use gear ratio, boost and boost 'timing' (200, 250, 300, etc.) to tune the car on the infield. ONLY if the car is at full speed 2/3 the way down the straight is it useful to use turbo. It's like it was in the old BR days - spring type and pressure, brush type, magnet strength and gear ratio all had to be right for the car to be fast.

If you only use boost, then you are right, once you have found the right settings to get the car to accelerate fast, it will always do that. The problem comes when you throw in turbo, as that is not related to motor speed and that's when the heat problems start. HTH
I've highlighted a sentance here just to clarify one point (as I understand it)...
119STOCK does exactly as described above in terms of Turbo. If the delay is met, then it puts it in.
211STOCK is a bit different, in that the delay and full boost have to be met before it adds the turbo timing. In which case 211 avoids dumping in too much timing in, too early... which makes it a little smoother.

HiH
Ed