R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 02-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #3271
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default DATA LOGGER FINDINGS

Hi all I raced at Maritime in Kent over the weekend and used the data logger for the first time....

Interesting results and a useful tool.

Turns out with my gearing the motor was 'topping out (13.5) at 45,000 RPM and was holding it for around a second, so we started adding more gearing until the logger read an instantaneous top out. with a 6.77:1 FDR the sweet spot was found for the straight and the infield punch was not affected at all, the only other adjustment made from the previous settings was to raise the Boost Start to 2000 and Iwill play more with that setting in future runs.

I believe that Ihave more power to gain from additional gearing but I ran out of runs. Final run testing temps were around 140F, car was very quick but the car was handling oddly (due to the driver) and I hope that someone with a better driving abilities will find the readings useful.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #3272
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry2blost View Post
Hi all I raced at Maritime in Kent over the weekend and used the data logger for the first time....

Interesting results and a useful tool.

Turns out with my gearing the motor was 'topping out (13.5) at 45,000 RPM and was holding it for around a second, so we started adding more gearing until the logger read an instantaneous top out. with a 6.77:1 FDR the sweet spot was found for the straight and the infield punch was not affected at all, the only other adjustment made from the previous settings was to raise the Boost Start to 2000 and Iwill play more with that setting in future runs.

I believe that Ihave more power to gain from additional gearing but I ran out of runs. Final run testing temps were around 140F, car was very quick but the car was handling oddly (due to the driver) and I hope that someone with a better driving abilities will find the readings useful.
I was at the same meeting, and like you played around with setting every run. Interestingly, my setting were very different to yours. I'm at work atm but will try and post my settings tonight. I do remember FDR was 6.48, DRRS was set at 4 and start revs was 5000, the car was very fast and smooth and coming off at about 60c, it was also easy to drive.

Hope you ankle is ok, felt for you.
terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #3273
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Just download the 110119, they come with it.
Told you, I'm stoopid

thanks much

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #3274
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh View Post
I was at the same meeting, and like you played around with setting every run. Interestingly, my setting were very different to yours. I'm at work atm but will try and post my settings tonight. I do remember FDR was 6.48, DRRS was set at 4 and start revs was 5000, the car was very fast and smooth and coming off at about 60c, it was also easy to drive.

Hope you ankle is ok, felt for you.
Thanks Terry, yeah it is up like a balloon, bloody track markers lol.

Think I am gradually getting down to the 6.5's just trying to make a workable 'reason' why it needs to using the logger.
On my settings was very point and squirt was struggling more with on power understeer than settings I think as was able to keep up with Ian in the Final but he just had more steering hence more speed around the corners, may just be a shortcoming of the Sakura Sport. As I have added so much rear end grip to try to tame the backside and now struggling with on power understeer, way I drive tends to be very aggresive so like using power in the corners, maybe a little too early but it's been 15 years and I don't think that I will be able to retrain myself out of that one

But please get the figures posted as the more we have up here the better we can get to 'know' the Xtreme Stock.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #3275
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Not entirely accurate....

Boost start RPM is the point at which the dynamic timing on the motor comes into effect, Timing ACC is the rate at which the BOOST (Non Turbo) is added, BOOST TIMING is the amount of NON Turbo Timing.

The TURBO is affected by the application of FULL THROTTLE/DELAY/TURBO SLOPE.

Hit full throttle in the infield, meet the delay then the ESC is going to dump the Turbo on regardless of where the dynamic timing is actually at.

The two need to be balanced to allow correct usage of the software.

BOOST = Non Turbo Dynamic timing.
TURBO = The Additional timing added when the (Turbo) parameters set have ALL been met.

So to adjust (Non Turbo BOOST) you need to be adjusting BOOST TIMING, START RPM & TIMING ACC.

To adjust the TURBO (Additional Timing) you need to be adjusting TURBO TIMING, TURBO SLOPE & TURBO DELAY.

DDRS (4) 9
Boost Timing (9) 40 (NON TURBO DYNAMIC TIMING)
Turbo Slope (10) 18 (RATE AT WHICH ADDITIONAL TIMING IS ADDED/0.1ms)
Turbo Timing (12) 18 (AMOUNT OF TURBO ADDITIONAL TIMING TO BE ADDED)
Start RPM (13) 1000 (POINT AT WHICH NON TURBO BOOST RAMP BEGINS)
Turbo Delay (14) 0.3sec (TIME FULL TROTTLE MUST BE HELD BEFORE TURBO ADDITIONAL TIMING IS ADDED)
Timing Acc (15) 100 (NUMBER OF RPM IN MOTOR FOR EACH ADDITIONAL DEGREE OF NON TURBO TIMING TO BE ADDED)
No wonder people are complaining about the latest FW and the corresponding additional instruction pdf.

I'm glad you posted this. You make it a lot clearer than the explanation or lack thereof in the PDF on the HW site.

So what's the answer to the original question asked by reconrc?

Quote:
also i noticed there is no boost start rpm and boost timing - why is that?

TB-03, M-03, M-04,M-05, TT-01, DF-03ra, TRF201, SCX10, Stampede
.---------------------------------------------------------------------
tdunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #3276
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrc View Post
hello, I have just loaded the new 110119 on my esc. it is for the ver.2 60a xerun esc running a 13.5t for shortcourse racing. is this ok, also i noticed there is no boost start rpm and boost timing - why is that?
Try reflashing the firmware and remember to do it TWICE each time, I know I labour this point and have done for over a year but you NEED to do it TWICE as in earlier firmwares there were some gaps in the information flashed over, I have always done it twice and have NEVER had ANY issues at all. So for the sake of an additional 30 seconds of waiting JUST DO IT TWICE

Think of it as a 'Just in case' attitude.......
Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #3277
Tech Regular

@ cherry

The FDR i used seemed to be about right for the motor I used, an old SP 13.5 V1, I imagine you were useing a Hobbywing so it is more than possible that it would require a different FDR anyway. I can only go on what it feels like on the track, be nice to try something like your data logging gear, if only to prove what I feel is correct or not.

For anyone else that might be interested, it was a carpet track, 30m x 14m, some tight infield sections and the rest fast and flowing, and the car was an Xray T3'11

SW - 0119 stock
2 - Drag brake - 10%
4 - DRRS - 4
5 - Brake Strenght - 100%
6 - Reverse Brake - 100%
7 - Initial Brake - 40%
9 - Boost Timing - #31 / 30
10 - Turbo Slope - #4 / 18
12 - Turbo Timing - #31 / 30
13 - Start Revs - 5000
14 - Turbo Delay - 0.2sec
15 - Timing ACC - 500

I did have the start revs at 2000 and ACC set to 400, but felt that this was bringing the timing in too quickly on the sweepers and pushing the car. By setting the start revs to come in later, and increasing the ACC to 500, this calmed things down enough to make the car more controllable meaning I could hold a tighter line in the sweepers. I have also found that the higher number DRRS used, the more aggresive the car becomes, dont think I have ever liked it above 5.

One thing I will say is that different track layouts and driving styles do require different setups (car & ESC), what works for me might not work for someone else, although the principles are the same.

I'm really liking 119 now, at first I preferred 1224. Just goes to prove that you need to work on settings to get the best from them.

Cherry, if your there this Thursday, can you bring me a Hobbywing 13.5 please mate, want to give one a try and see how it goes
Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #3278
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I've never had to flash my 120a esc twice! It took the 110119 on the first time as far as I know. Ran it yesterday on a smallish carpet track against 17.5s. My 21.5 had no problem running them down or pulling away from them. Now there's talk of making the 21.5 class a "no timing" class. That's ok! I'll just run my 21.5 with the 17.5s. Shouldn't be a problem!
Oh, I almost forgot. I thought I was going to burn up my motor & esc yesterday. The motor come of at 105F & the esc was 85F.
OH THE HUMANITY!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #3279
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (99%+)
Default Hobbywing 120A 1s esc

Has any one tried one of these in for WGT or 1/12?
http://www.hobbyhot.com/xerun-blue-b...d-pr-2699.html

Are they as good as the 2s Hobbywing Esc's? Is there somewhere in the US I can get one?
Traxxas Slash(x2), 4x4 Slash VXL, Vendetta SC/ST
Axial SCX10, Axial Yeti, G-Made/AX10, Losi Micro Crawler, Sakura D3 CS(x2)
pettyeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #3280
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyeagles View Post
Has any one tried one of these in for WGT or 1/12?
http://www.hobbyhot.com/xerun-blue-b...d-pr-2699.html

Are they as good as the 2s Hobbywing Esc's? Is there somewhere in the US I can get one?
There getting popular in the UK, I know a few guys running them in 1/12th, and they fast.....! Can't help you with setup as I'm not running one......... yet
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #3281
Tech Rookie

Hi all,
What is the best software for a MOD 7,5 motor?
What is the difference between 205_MOD and 323a_m (could not find it directly back in the other treads)?
Thanks
kusal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #3282
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmooth View Post
[COLOR="Red"]I've never had to flash my 120a esc twice! It took the 110119 on the first time as far as I know.
True, the twice Flashing is for the Past Firmware, and since The Latest LCD Firmware and V2 Firmware SuperCharge, the twice Flashing is log gone.
we also find if we go back to the Previous Version Firmware, The Flashing error apear when we want to go back to SuperCharge Version Firmware, and must be do it twice again, but after that don't have to do it twice again.

But for Precaution, if you had error message when flashing please do it again, do not turned off esc/Program be patient until "Finish Successful".
Old 02-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #3283
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Try reflashing the firmware and remember to do it TWICE each time, I know I labour this point and have done for over a year but you NEED to do it TWICE as in earlier firmwares there were some gaps in the information flashed over, I have always done it twice and have NEVER had ANY issues at all. So for the sake of an additional 30 seconds of waiting JUST DO IT TWICE

Think of it as a 'Just in case' attitude.......
I have already upgraded the firmware on my programming card and ESC twice each time many times, but for some reason the "BOOST START RPM" and "BOOST TIMING ACC" are not adjustable - they are blank but say 1000rpm and 50rpm/deg respectively. Is there another reason why? Not sure what I'm doing wrong - any advice?
reconrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #3284
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrc View Post
I have already upgraded the firmware on my programming card and ESC twice each time many times, but for some reason the "BOOST START RPM" and "BOOST TIMING ACC" are not adjustable - they are blank but say 1000rpm and 50rpm/deg respectively. Is there another reason why? Not sure what I'm doing wrong - any advice?
This happenned to me too and is mentioned a few pages back now I think. Make sure you are loading 110119 STOCK version rather than 110119MOD. From what I saw, the MOD doesn't allow you to modify the Start RPM and Boost Timing ACC.

Hope this helps, it did it for me.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #3285
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
This happenned to me too and is mentioned a few pages back now I think. Make sure you are loading 110119 STOCK version rather than 110119MOD. From what I saw, the MOD doesn't allow you to modify the Start RPM and Boost Timing ACC.

Hope this helps, it did it for me.
Thank you very much clittle, you are right. The loaded firmware was 119110MOD so I uploaded 110119STOCK twice () and now Start RPM and Boost Timing ACC are adjustable. Once again thanks to all who helped me.

Now any advice on what settings to run for SC10 racing with 13.5t? Or just run everything max until temp and speed is fine/in good balance?
reconrc is offline   Reply With Quote