R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #3256
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 847
Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)
Default Cobra need help

Hey i had my first race meet racing my xray t3.Now my question is what can i change to get some more topend.Through the turns and etc its perfect but through the straight im being overtaken every single lap.

Here are the settings of my speedy
Hobby wing 120amp esc
motor is speedpassion 17.5
Software is stock 518
Boost-8
Turbo Level-7
start rpm- 3000
turbo delay- -1
FDR- 5.29
shano83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #3257
Tech Elite
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shano83 View Post
Hey i had my first race meet racing my xray t3.Now my question is what can i change to get some more topend.Through the turns and etc its perfect but through the straight im being overtaken every single lap.

Here are the settings of my speedy
Hobby wing 120amp esc
motor is speedpassion 17.5
Software is stock 518
Boost-8
Turbo Level-7
start rpm- 3000
turbo delay- -1
FDR- 5.29
start rpm shane.....try 4500 or 6000 mate...will be less punchy but the speed will be up on the straight...so try that first and maybe slightly overgeared....i was running 5.49.. go down a tooth or 2........looking at your fastest lap time that could be it....
__________________
David Randall

AWESOMATIX A800 ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
TEAM XRAY X116 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #3258
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 847
Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade072 View Post
start rpm shane.....try 4500 or 6000 mate...will be less punchy but the speed will be up on the straight...so try that first and maybe slightly overgeared....i was running 5.49.. go down a tooth or 2........looking at your fastest lap time that could be it....
Cheers dave ill give it ago.Are you running ball diff or gear diff?
I ran ball diff today as i didnt have the 50mm drive shafts but have ordered them.I have got a gear diff.I am going to run the gear diff as i have had enough of the problems with the ball diff.I rebuilt it last night and by qualifier 3 it was shagged
shano83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #3259
Tech Elite
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shano83 View Post
Cheers dave ill give it ago.Are you running ball diff or gear diff?
I ran ball diff today as i didnt have the 50mm drive shafts but have ordered them.I have got a gear diff.I am going to run the gear diff as i have had enough of the problems with the ball diff.I rebuilt it last night and by qualifier 3 it was shagged
not a problem shane....was running a gear diff all day mate....check your thrust...thats what happened to me the first time i ran my ball diff....so i got myself both ceramic balls and thrust from arena...diff still smooth as......but if you run a gear diff...get the new v2 orings, gaskets and shims.......oh and 1000 wt oil i use losi...

and try the esc settings and go from there...
__________________
David Randall

AWESOMATIX A800 ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
TEAM XRAY X116 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #3260
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 847
Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade072 View Post
not a problem shane....was running a gear diff all day mate....check your thrust...thats what happened to me the first time i ran my ball diff....so i got myself both ceramic balls and thrust from arena...diff still smooth as......but if you run a gear diff...get the new v2 orings, gaskets and shims.......oh and 1000 wt oil i use losi...

and try the esc settings and go from there...
Cheers dave.Yeah im gonna give up on the ball diff and run gear diff.I bought antonis old one of reece and it has all v2 gaskets and etc
shano83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #3261
Tech Addict
 
venom54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Aspendale
Posts: 576
Default More Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by shano83 View Post
Hey i had my first race meet racing my xray t3.Now my question is what can i change to get some more topend.Through the turns and etc its perfect but through the straight im being overtaken every single lap.

Here are the settings of my speedy
Hobby wing 120amp esc
motor is speedpassion 17.5
Software is stock 518
Boost-8
Turbo Level-7
start rpm- 3000
turbo delay- -1
FDR- 5.29
New software setup and tests on a XERUN-120A-1S ESC running the new 110119 stock software in 21.5 Touring car class. This info might be a good stating point!

Results for Sunday night 19/02/11 at a local track SERCCC (Melbourne Australia) on a flowing track setup. Three speed portions and four tight/hairpins sections. New set up on ESC only.

Car - XRAY T3 2011
FDR - 4.91 (To low for 17.5)(better at 5.5 and up)
MOTOR - SP21.5 V3 SET TO ZERO DEGREE TIMING (Second motor used, first was fried due to incorrect settings)(blame the pit dude (me))
BATTERY USED - YUNTONG 5000 40C
TYRES - Sweep 30 pre mounts.
RADIO - Futaba 2PL
BODY - HPI MAZDA 6
CAR SETUP - Kit standard with a change to droop on rear, more droop.

SETTINGS USED ARE LISTED BELOW ARE THE NEW SETTINGS FROM 19/02/11.

1 = 1
2 = 0%
3 = 3.4V
4 = 9
5 = 100%
6 = 25%
7 = 0%
8 = 6%
9 = 35
10 = 24
11 = ENABLED
12 = 24
13 = 3000
14 = 0.3SEC
15= 750

Results were great acceleration and very good top end. Motor temps stayed around 55 degree.

More setups to follow. Hope these setup options will be of help to all.

Cheers

Ren
__________________
Play hard but be nice to your parents!
VBC RACING|ASSOCIATED|XRAY|TEAM POWERS|THUNDER TIGER|HOBBYWING|HPI|WTF FANS|ORION AND MORE IN STORE.
145 COMO PARADE EAST 3195 PARKDALE VICTORIA AUSTRALIA.
www.rabhobbies.com.au
venom54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #3262
Tech Master
 
Benzaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,967
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Mixed results from my runs today but still ended the club meet with the Tq and Win. We have a new lay out so everyone was playing it safe and trying to get through the day in one piece. I Initially tried my zero turbo set up and ran a 0.19 cons run all be it around 0.6 a lap slower than my quickest of the day. I should have added some more pinion and dropped the timing acc which worked during practice after the meet but decided to play it safe and went back to some 518ish settings and had everyone catching me by the main's as they turned everything up. Still heaps of potential in these settings but i was not in the mood to blow anything up today as one of my pit buddies fried a Duo2 and Novak Kinetic.

Mi4CX
FDR 5.6
Duo2 17.5 with 1 tick of timing
DRRS 4
Boost 44
Turbo slope 18
Start RPM 5000
Turbo 24
Delay 0.2
Timing Acc 350
__________________
AERCCC - ARCR - RRCSA

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #3263
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 847
Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Mixed results from my runs today but still ended the club meet with the Tq and Win. We have a new lay out so everyone was playing it safe and trying to get through the day in one piece. I Initially tried my zero turbo set up and ran a 0.19 cons run all be it around 0.6 a lap slower than my quickest of the day. I should have added some more pinion and dropped the timing acc which worked during practice after the meet but decided to play it safe and went back to some 518ish settings and had everyone catching me by the main's as they turned everything up. Still heaps of potential in these settings but i was not in the mood to blow anything up today as one of my pit buddies fried a Duo2 and Novak Kinetic.

Mi4CX
FDR 5.6
Duo2 17.5 with 1 tick of timing
DRRS 4
Boost 44
Turbo slope 18
Start RPM 5000
Turbo 24
Delay 0.2
Timing Acc 350
Hey benzah what software you running on the speedy
shano83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #3264
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Mixed results from my runs today but still ended the club meet with the Tq and Win. We have a new lay out so everyone was playing it safe and trying to get through the day in one piece. I Initially tried my zero turbo set up and ran a 0.19 cons run all be it around 0.6 a lap slower than my quickest of the day. I should have added some more pinion and dropped the timing acc which worked during practice after the meet but decided to play it safe and went back to some 518ish settings and had everyone catching me by the main's as they turned everything up. Still heaps of potential in these settings but i was not in the mood to blow anything up today as one of my pit buddies fried a Duo2 and Novak Kinetic.

Mi4CX
FDR 5.6
Duo2 17.5 with 1 tick of timing
DRRS 4
Boost 44
Turbo slope 18
Start RPM 5000
Turbo 24
Delay 0.2
Timing Acc 350

Do you find much difference between using a DRRS setting of 4 as opposed to the max setting of 9 ?

My current settings are:

TB-03
FDR 7:00:1 (5.77 or 6.00 when my pinions arrive)
Xerun 17.5 (2300kv)
DRRS 9
Boost 32
Turbo slope 18
Start RPM 4000
Turbo 24
Delay 0.3
Timing Acc 350

Cheers.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------

TB-03, M-03, M-04,M-05, TT-01, DF-03ra, TRF201, SCX10, Stampede
.---------------------------------------------------------------------
tdunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #3265
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 517
Default

Just installed the 120A HW ESC with SP 4.5 motor. Also, installed 119 firmware. Want to know what is the good starting for ESC setting with 4.5 SP motor. And What should be the gear ratio for T3 with 4.5? Thanks
ioxqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #3266
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioxqq View Post
Just installed the 120A HW ESC with SP 4.5 motor. Also, installed 119 firmware. Want to know what is the good starting for ESC setting with 4.5 SP motor. And What should be the gear ratio for T3 with 4.5? Thanks

I hope you installed the MOD software. Running 119Stock with a mod motor might make things alittle hot.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #3267
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 81
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

hello, I have just loaded the new 110119 on my esc. it is for the ver.2 60a xerun esc running a 13.5t for shortcourse racing. is this ok, also i noticed there is no boost start rpm and boost timing - why is that?

Last edited by reconrc; 02-20-2011 at 08:36 PM.
reconrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #3268
Tech Elite
 
Jack2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,377
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
I hope you installed the MOD software. Running 119Stock with a mod motor might make things alittle hot.

I'm a bloody long way from a expert but i'm running 224stock with a 5.5 SP motor. running no boost. with 20 deg turbo, so far seems to be working okay
__________________
Schumacher Mi4CX
Mugen MTX & MRX

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #3269
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 95
Default

Original Post removed due to misleading information.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------

TB-03, M-03, M-04,M-05, TT-01, DF-03ra, TRF201, SCX10, Stampede
.---------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by tdunster; 02-21-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Incorrect information
tdunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #3270
Tech Addict
 
cherry2blost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 713
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunster View Post
The HW 60a ESC is fine for running a 13.5t according to the HW instructions.

You can find instructions about settings here:
http://www.hobbywing.com/upload/manu...e_20110125.pdf


Note: the settings for off-road are at the end of the document.

Your other questions about boost start ....and so on

The Boost is applied dynamically throughout the rev range. Therefore you don't need a start RPM setting.

The Turbo is additional timing applied when the throttle is held at its maximum on your transmitter / Radio.

Thus, it is the Turbo Boost Start RPM which you can set to start at a specific RPM.

cheers.

Not entirely accurate....

Boost start RPM is the point at which the dynamic timing on the motor comes into effect, Timing ACC is the rate at which the BOOST (Non Turbo) is added, BOOST TIMING is the amount of NON Turbo Timing.

The TURBO is affected by the application of FULL THROTTLE/DELAY/TURBO SLOPE.

Hit full throttle in the infield, meet the delay then the ESC is going to dump the Turbo on regardless of where the dynamic timing is actually at.

The two need to be balanced to allow correct usage of the software.

BOOST = Non Turbo Dynamic timing.
TURBO = The Additional timing added when the (Turbo) parameters set have ALL been met.

So to adjust (Non Turbo BOOST) you need to be adjusting BOOST TIMING, START RPM & TIMING ACC.

To adjust the TURBO (Additional Timing) you need to be adjusting TURBO TIMING, TURBO SLOPE & TURBO DELAY.

DDRS (4) 9
Boost Timing (9) 40 (NON TURBO DYNAMIC TIMING)
Turbo Slope (10) 18 (RATE AT WHICH ADDITIONAL TIMING IS ADDED/0.1ms)
Turbo Timing (12) 18 (AMOUNT OF TURBO ADDITIONAL TIMING TO BE ADDED)
Start RPM (13) 1000 (POINT AT WHICH NON TURBO BOOST RAMP BEGINS)
Turbo Delay (14) 0.3sec (TIME FULL TROTTLE MUST BE HELD BEFORE TURBO ADDITIONAL TIMING IS ADDED)
Timing Acc (15) 100 (NUMBER OF RPM IN MOTOR FOR EACH ADDITIONAL DEGREE OF NON TURBO TIMING TO BE ADDED)
__________________
Tamiya TA05 Ver II, Hobbywing 13.5T, KO PROPO PDS-2501 ICS, Eagle Racing 6000 65C LiPo, Hobbywing XTREME STOCK 518/213) Sanwa/Airtronics MT4 2.4G Radio.
www.racersinexile.org.uk | 'Official Certified' UK/Euro Importer for the Hobbywing XERUN Series Equipment We ship the world !!!| Quote code 'cherry' for 10% discount on our Web Store.
cherry2blost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (1 members and 9 guests)
va.racer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:15 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0