Old 02-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #2911
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptek View Post
No you want the averige rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Actually, the rpm value you want is the rpm on the slowest corner of the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Agreed. If I don't know what RPMs I'm at coming out of the corners, I don't know where to set my boost start (other than guessing and trial and error, which isn't as scientific as I'd like). The RPM window for the small infield straights will give a good starting point for the boost ramp.
My own experience in 1/12 scale racing (and I understand this is really different then 2S lipo in 1/10 scale) is that if I ramp up to fast, it only gives me more heat, and not acceleration. A motor with a certain roll-out/FDR can only deliver a certain amount of power compared to the weight he needs to move forward, so with a to high boost ramp, you might reach the physical possibilities of your motor....

But if I take the point of view you guys have, I can imagine you would like a rpm log....
Old 02-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #2912
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
My own experience in 1/12 scale racing (and I understand this is really different then 2S lipo in 1/10 scale) is that if I ramp up to fast, it only gives me more heat, and not acceleration. A motor with a certain roll-out/FDR can only deliver a certain amount of power compared to the weight he needs to move forward, so with a to high boost ramp, you might reach the physical possibilities of your motor....

But if I take the point of view you guys have, I can imagine you would like a rpm log....
Yes but you want the RPM range for the infield and there you make that the infield is good.
This will not make that the RPM will ramp up to fast.
As you have a max rpm of 30000 and a averige RPM of 12000 than you don't let your end RPM go to 30000.
Take a window were you have the best result with the averige RPM like start 6000 start and 16000 end RPM.
Thab let the Turbo kick in when you need extra top speed. So look till were your car stops accelarating withoud turbo and let the turbo just before that point kick in.

This works the best on larger tracks. On smaller tracks I use a Turbo delay of 0 and a higher start RPM. this works great on smalller indoor tracks. one smoothe accelaration as result with the best infield speed.

As you use a big rpm window with a low timing you will get more power and you can gear much heavier than with a narrow RPM range and a high timing.
This will also cause more heat.

My motor never becomes above the 70C. Most of the times indoor it is about 60 or even colder.
Still I win my races.
toptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #2913
CFR
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
I'm looking foward to getting the Novak data logger installed so I can see what revs I'm actually running at round the various parts of the track.
now I wonder were you got that from

have fun and post your findings
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #2914
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Maybe this?

Syndrome your on the right track and it affects only the American Customer .

99% of all manufacturers program using the same method ( as i believe after all my research it is a generic way only owned by the microproccessor manufacturer )so it looks like the American customers are at the loss here as it seems you guys will be restricted to run only one brand of esc and only one brand only for the future if the manufacturer has there way .

I think it's a cowardly and petty act of a way to protect a product as your killing competition in a small knit rc community which in the end could destroy any company with a massive customer backlash .Customers are the most important in a business which includes customer service they are the ones who pay our bills and put the food on our tables without the customer we have nothing no matter how good your product is .

My belief is improve your product to make it better than others and not use petty ways to kill competition .Killing competition will also kill our electric r/c industry and competition.But i guess Americans will have fair play now on the race track by using only one manufacturers product.Thats like telling me if you want to drive a car in hollywood you must drive a hummer or you cannot drive on our roads.pathetic i say

enough said .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #2915
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wont be any Castle products in my house.
mc4798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #2916
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post

now, you all seem get what i meant,
Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #2917
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Syndrome your on the right track and it affects only the American Customer .

99% of all manufacturers program using the same method ( as i believe after all my research it is a generic way only owned by the microproccessor manufacturer )so it looks like the American customers are at the loss here as it seems you guys will be restricted to run only one brand of esc and only one brand only for the future if the manufacturer has there way .

I think it's a cowardly and petty act of a way to protect a product as your killing competition in a small knit rc community which in the end could destroy any company with a massive customer backlash .Customers are the most important in a business which includes customer service they are the ones who pay our bills and put the food on our tables without the customer we have nothing no matter how good your product is .

My belief is improve your product to make it better than others and not use petty ways to kill competition .Killing competition will also kill our electric r/c industry and competition.But i guess Americans will have fair play now on the race track by using only one manufacturers product.Thats like telling me if you want to drive a car in hollywood you must drive a hummer or you cannot drive on our roads.pathetic i say

enough said .
So, is the issue patent infringement? Can't Hobbywing just pay the patent holder royalties and call it a day?

This reminds me of the Chinese company that attempted to steal Team Durango's buggy design, package it and sell it as their own. (no pun intended)
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #2918
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san. View Post
So, is the issue patent infringement? Can't Hobbywing just pay the patent holder royalties and call it a day?

This reminds me of the Chinese company that attempted to steal Team Durango's buggy design, package it and sell it as their own. (no pun intended)
It would seem that CC doesn't like the idea of Hobbywing entering the US market in a big way and are playing the legal threat card. Strange when most ESC manufacturers program their ESC's the same way so the threat should be aimed at all ESC manufacturers

They obviously see HW as a large threat ... possibly on pricing
Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #2919
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
It would seem that CC doesn't like the idea of Hobbywing entering the US market in a big way and are playing the legal threat card. Strange when most ESC manufacturers program their ESC's the same way so the threat should be aimed at all ESC manufacturers

They obviously see HW as a large threat ... possibly on pricing
Or possibly just performance.
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #2920
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
Or possibly just performance.
Without a doubt
mc4798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #2921
Tech Rookie

Maybe they should just change the method of programming to use Bluetooth or NFC (near field communication) rather than a physical connection as described in the patent... This would introduce very little extra cost, be technologically superior and best of all, because I've just mentioned it on an open forum - no-one can patent this method of RC speedo programming and it would be open for all manufacturers... As a lot of modern PC's and laptops already include Bluetooth, you might not even need a separate programming box...
Graham Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #2922
Tech Apprentice

Good idea!
i can definately see myself conecting my Android phone to my speedo and do all the adjustments from the driver stands as well as log all the info in realtime right to my pocket
snabbgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #2923
Tech Regular

+1 would be great to be able to program with my phone (android here)
Hatebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:34 AM   #2924
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Oliver View Post
Maybe they should just change the method of programming to use Bluetooth or NFC (near field communication) rather than a physical connection as described in the patent... This would introduce very little extra cost, be technologically superior and best of all, because I've just mentioned it on an open forum - no-one can patent this method of RC speedo programming and it would be open for all manufacturers... As a lot of modern PC's and laptops already include Bluetooth, you might not even need a separate programming box...
To late. copied from redrc:

Speed Passion are also represented on the Schumacher stand as they are the British importer and their latest offering is a phone app for Android or iPhone that gives a graphical interface with which to adjust the entire range of parameters on their ESC through built in Bluetooth connectivity. The ESC shown is just a prototype to show the app in action but it is planned in future to equip their range of speed controllers with bluetooth to enable this type of adjustment.

http://www.redrc.net/2011/02/toy-fair-2011-schumacher/
Old 02-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #2925
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityboy View Post
To late. copied from redrc:

Speed Passion are also represented on the Schumacher stand as they are the British importer and their latest offering is a phone app for Android or iPhone that gives a graphical interface with which to adjust the entire range of parameters on their ESC through built in Bluetooth connectivity. The ESC shown is just a prototype to show the app in action but it is planned in future to equip their range of speed controllers with bluetooth to enable this type of adjustment.

http://www.redrc.net/2011/02/toy-fair-2011-schumacher/
Who knows ... SP also promised a micro wave system that claimed we would never need to have batteries in our cars ever again ... haven't seen that system yet either