R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Like Tree5Likes

Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #1756
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default need more brakes

Running a Xtreme Stock ESC.

I've noticed that I do not get very good brakes if I go from power directly to brakes (like when jumping in off-road for instance). If I hesitated at neutral, then go full brakes, I get full brakes. It's creating some issues on our new track that I am struggling to resolve. Does anyone else notice this issue or is there a setting I'm missing that needs to be adjusted? I do not run any drag brake and have the initial brake set to max (40%).

Seems that I'm only getting 40% brake if I go to full brake directly from an on-power setting.

CSR
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #1757
Tech Elite

Hi guys once again

just some news from hobbywing .

I have been told by michael that it is better to use data loggers whcih are more accurate like eagle racing etc then for us to implement the logger in our own software .

On another note we have some exciting news as of early 2011 Hobbywing will start a new project which will bring there ever so popular brushless technology into a new range of servo's

Servo's that are on the list will be the ever so low profile digital servo at 6-9kg brushless for on road and off road electric cars .will feature 24 bit technology ,metal gears,brushless high torque motors etc .

we will also have a 13kg and 20 kg digital for on road and off road 1/8th scale purposes .

From what you have seen from hobbywing in recent times with there ever popular but also very reliable esc's you will also see in there servo range .

Time to give the big boys of the servo companies a lillte bit of a shake .

ill keep you all informed
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #1758
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Seems a bit of a cop out on the rpm logger, saying it's better to buy something else is a confusing sort of self defeating principle, it would have been nice to have a rpm log 'without' having to buy something else.

As to new servos, well they may have come a bit late on that front, Savox seem to be the current king of budget priced servos, but it will be interesting to see what HW comes up with.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #1759
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Seems a bit of a cop out on the rpm logger, saying it's better to buy something else is a confusing sort of self defeating principle, it would have been nice to have a rpm log 'without' having to buy something else.

As to new servos, well they may have come a bit late on that front, Savox seem to be the current king of budget priced servos, but it will be interesting to see what HW comes up with.

As for the data logger sorry to dissapoint but maybe in the future we might implement it but for now no data logger to many other projects to take care of at this moment.

As for the servo's being late and that savox is the king of budget priced servos? Id like you to guess which servo brand had the most failures at the world titles in pattaya thailand .can you guess ? im sure you already know the answer.
As for HV servos there is no such servo under the servo height of 49mm and all car servos dont exceed 41mm ,you didnt mention this or asked but i thought id give you the info anyway .

anything else you would like to know please do not hesitate to ask .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 AM   #1760
Tech Initiate

Good news on the low-pro servos, nice to have more choice. 25 spline Futaba horn compatible, I presume?

I raced my Xerun 60A (518 software iirc) yesterday with a Losi 17.5 in a rather overweight TA05R (>1500g when the limit is 1350g) - I'd been wondering why I was lacking power in the previous meeting, had maxed out my settings to no avail. I finally noticed my problem - the sensor wire was out of the ESC!

Plugged it in, and it was a missile! Turbo delay 0.2sec, FDR about 5, small-ish indoor carpet track. Motor temps, about 60 deg C. I might go up a bit in FDR for a bit more instant acceleration, but no complaints here - just wish I was a better driver!
colmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #1761
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Xerun 17.5 bl motor

hi guys,

just want any feedback or more info on any anyone who has tried the Xerun 17.5 motor from HW combined with the 518 HW software on there TC. only nfo from HW site is that the xerun 17.5 has 1900KV. nothing else like suggested gearing...etc

thanx in advance.
TRF4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #1762
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I don't often comment on such things but I have to agree with this... if Duratrax can manage to put some basic logging (max rpm, max current etc) in their new range of BL ESC's I am sure HW can do SOMETHING...

Besides having an external data-logger adds extra weight, wires and just general inconvience

I have only one more RC thing on my bucket list and I will keep racing (and probably coming last) till its done.
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #1763
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Hi guys,

I'm new to this entire brushless thing, so please excuse me if I should ask stupid questions.

I just deceided to upgrade my old 12th scale (4cell / 19 t) setup to a brushless system.
I bought a HW EzRun 60A ESC and a CS-Electronic 10.5 t motor.

I instelled everything, did the setup and it seems to be working quite well.
The only thing that seems weird to me is, that the ESC has a considerable lag when I punch the throttle. It takes bit until the LED goes from red to green (full throttle) and i would imagine that this makes a 12th scale difficult to drive.

I played around with the timing and punch.
My current settings are : #9 for punch and 15 timing

Is there anything I'm doing wrong.

The next question is, can I change the firmware or software on the ESC, lets say for a stock program?

Your help is very much appreciated.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #1764
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new to this entire brushless thing, so please excuse me if I should ask stupid questions.

I just deceided to upgrade my old 12th scale (4cell / 19 t) setup to a brushless system.

The only thing that seems weird to me is, that the ESC has a considerable lag when I punch the throttle. It takes bit until the LED goes from red to green (full throttle) and i would imagine that this makes a 12th scale difficult to drive.

The next question is, can I change the firmware or software on the ESC, lets say for a stock program?

EZRun? NOt XERun?

That will be your problem there. The EZRun is a cheap sensorless system and has no throttle feel or response compared to the sensored XERun.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #1765
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by csracing View Post
Running a Xtreme Stock ESC. I've noticed that I do not get very good brakes if I go from power directly to brakes (like when jumping in off-road for instance) ...
I do not run any drag brake and have the initial brake set to max (40%).
Why don't you try with drag brake force? Just the bare minimum that you can get away with ... 5%???
Old 11-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #1766
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
Why don't you try with drag brake force? Just the bare minimum that you can get away with ... 5%???
I've tried running as much as 20% drag brake but it makes no difference. Power to full brake is much less brake force than power to neutral, then to full brake. Doesn't make any sense..
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #1767
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi guys,

Is the problem the physical pickup, or the LED pickup physical pickup could be because the system is sensorless, tall gearing, lipo not delivering, LED is slow, could be the transmitter setting.

ezrun isnt cheap, just sensorless.

You aint messin wit my dougie..
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #1768
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL1031 View Post
Is the problem the physical pickup, or the LED pickup physical pickup could be because the system is sensorless, tall gearing, lipo not delivering, LED is slow, could be the transmitter setting.

ezrun isnt cheap, just sensorless.
Good info
Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #1769
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hi guys,

ezrun is known like the computer's plug and play modules it is not cheap just easier to use.It is a sensorless unit .

Sensored units are good for take off purposes give more torque at take off as the esc knows where the rotor is stationed at any given time so it will send 100% power to a single phase were the sensorless unit will split the power to two phases as it doesnt know where the rotor is at any give time .

Your problem could be anything from lipo ,to transmitter .

No the ezrun series the software cannot be updated .
Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #1770
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just an idea but do u have the reverse strength at 100%? not sure why but it helped on my brakes even though u are running forward only.

What have you got the brakes set at?? if you but the brakes on 100% with no initial brakes do u have the same issue? thats what i have and it has too much brakes.. just change the EPA-b to adjust it..

If u wanna run initial brakes though I am no help...

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by csracing View Post
Running a Xtreme Stock ESC.

I've noticed that I do not get very good brakes if I go from power directly to brakes (like when jumping in off-road for instance). If I hesitated at neutral, then go full brakes, I get full brakes. It's creating some issues on our new track that I am struggling to resolve. Does anyone else notice this issue or is there a setting I'm missing that needs to be adjusted? I do not run any drag brake and have the initial brake set to max (40%).

Seems that I'm only getting 40% brake if I go to full brake directly from an on-power setting.

CSR
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote