R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Like Tree5Likes

Old 11-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #1741
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
The caps should help the ESC running alittle cooler. They smooth out the voltages, and give the extra little bit of current when the load spikes.

Shawn
thanks bro..
bt what i meant the location of the caps and the esc...
the caps were place right next to the esc or more accurately, leaning on the esc..so to roll out any possibility of heat transfer from the caps to the esc, i relocated the caps...

bt could the caps produce and transfer that much heat to the esc?

FYI, i know im really new to this hobby and some might be annoyed by the newbie question..i've read razzor post several times and many other post to gain as much knowledge as possible..bt to me,advise and comment through experience is much more then any manual...

thanks for being patient and answering/repeating all of the newbie question...appreciate it...

Last edited by Heqal; 11-27-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Heqal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #1742
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heqal View Post
thanks bro..
bt what i meant the location of the caps and the esc...
the caps were place right next to the esc or more accurately, leaning on the esc..so to roll out any possibility of heat transfer from the caps to the esc, i relocated the caps...

The caps shouldnt get hot at all. If they are getting warm then they are internally shorting out, and thats not good. As for location, I have always had mine shoo-goo'ed to the ESC, or right next to my Servo. Depending on car, without any problems.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #1743
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heqal View Post
Make a run with the caps away from the ESC, feel if they are warm, if not, it is impossible that they contribute to the heat of the ESC.....
Old 11-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #1744
Tech Adept

Can I use the 120A esc to run 2 13.5T motors connected in parallel? Using maybe a 3 cell Lipo?

The limits for the esc on a motor turn is 5.5T (from HW website) which is about 6000kv. A single 13.5T motor is only less than 3000kv if you see what I mean???
Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #1745
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
Can I use the 120A esc to run 2 13.5T motors connected in parallel? Using maybe a 3 cell Lipo?

The limits for the esc on a motor turn is 5.5T (from HW website) which is about 6000kv. A single 13.5T motor is only less than 3000kv if you see what I mean???
methematically yeah....But HW's benchmark is based on a 2S lipo setup.

But c'mon, just do it man!
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:16 AM   #1746
Tech Elite

Quote:

2 cell lipo anything below a 10.5T anything above a 3 cell is ok.
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #1747
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Angelo,

WOuld HW release a software developer kit?
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #1748
Tech Elite

A power capacitor bank is used to smooth out ripple current so that the average voltage to the ESC is close to the battery voltage.The less ripple current the less heat generated . The more ripple current filtered is dependant on the surface area of the cap also know as the capacity of the cap in mf or f or uf and the lower interanl resistance.

The capacitor bank not only protects the ESC electronics, but will also increase's the RPM available during stabs of throttle.

Spikes are filtered out by suppressors (also known as voltage clamps) and radio interference is filtered out by decoupling caps all mounted on the board .

Low internal resistant caps also known as Low ESR are the best but can also be large in size .The bigger the cap the better but you can also have two smaller caps in parrallel to double there size.

Caps will only get hot when either the battery is shorted ,the esc components are short or two phases are shorted as i know one customer had some issues with the caps getting hot and quickly found out that he had shorted the phases when soldering the motor wires onto the motor tags .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
Old 11-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #1749
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
Angelo,

WOuld HW release a software developer kit?
We wish lol hahahaha.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:34 AM   #1750
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
A power capacitor bank is used to smooth out ripple current so that the average voltage to the ESC is close to the battery voltage.The less ripple current the less heat generated . The more ripple current filtered is dependant on the surface area of the cap also know as the capacity of the cap in mf or f or uf and the lower interanl resistance.

The capacitor bank not only protects the ESC electronics, but will also increase's the RPM available during stabs of throttle.

Spikes are filtered out by suppressors (also known as voltage clamps) and radio interference is filtered out by decoupling caps all mounted on the board .

Low internal resistant caps also known as Low ESR are the best but can also be large in size .The bigger the cap the better but you can also have two smaller caps in parrallel to double there size.

Caps will only get hot when either the battery is shorted ,the esc components are short or two phases are shorted as i know one customer had some issues with the caps getting hot and quickly found out that he had shorted the phases when soldering the motor wires onto the motor tags .
thanks for the explanation...
n thanks to the other comment guys...

as far i kno,there werent any shortage bt ill surely recheck it...
n when tuned down the setting...
Old 11-28-2010, 03:40 AM   #1751
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

what is the software to use now for stock class racing 10.5? HW or speed passion software?
ronaldo-1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #1752
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
We wish lol hahahaha.

COB, will you asked michael , about the ESC Rpm Log Firmware,
............so long.........

Source

Last edited by irgo; 11-28-2010 at 01:17 PM.
irgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #1753
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

As far as i know you can never run 2 brushless motors with 1 brushless controller sinse it's the controller that takes care of the commutation and not the motor as in a brushed setup...
snabbgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #1754
Tech Addict

which setting will be faster, 'higher end of rpm' or 'lower' ...? assume that timing at before 'boost start rpm' range is remain same... but fdr is vary for reach a maximum speed at the same point...

and the answer i want to relate with motor temp which assuming the same motor... at the same 85'c, which one is faster, lower or higher rpm...?

thanc for help..
zamrioo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #1755
Tech Elite

Hi Guys

I received an email from a customer having his turbo settings coming in and out all the time .now he found the issue to be the low voltage cut off of the lipo as he had set it to 3.4v and made changes to 3.0v and problem was gone .

Now good quality Grade A lipos can have a low voltage cut off of 3.0v without any damage being donw to the battery .This will all depend on the quality of your cells plus the demands of your motor.

many factors

min voltage cut off for the lipo is 3000mv which is the same as 3.0v

min voltage cut off for the lifep04 is 2300mv which is the same as 2.3v

But the turbo function has alot to do with your battery and how much punch it can generate to run the turbo.Dont forget more power more current .