R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 04-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up Sidewinder ESC Waterproof!

I just got off the phone with Castle's awesome tech support after questioning them about the water-resisting abilities of their Sidewinder ESC (which I just ordered). It turns out that, as I've read in other forums, the Sidewinder is "Highly Water Resistant." Basically what that means is that you can run it through water, but they don't say that for legal reasons. The guy I talked to said that they coat the circuit board in military-spec silicone sealant. That allows you to run it through freshwater just fine, and that it works perfectly for running through puddles, mud, and dirt with your truck. However, because saltwater is more conductive than freshwater, weird things happen when you run it through/under saltwater (i.e. it shorts out and breaks). Bottom line is, the Sidewinder is good to go in your truck if you want to run through the mud worry-free, and "go out and have some fun!" (Quoted from the tech support guy) .
G33Kster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

They coat all of their ESCs making them "water resistant". Like you said, for legal reasons they can't advertise that, which means if you fry it they will not cover it from water damage.
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

is that the same with the mmp
blakelenk521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
They coat all of their ESCs making them "water resistant". Like you said, for legal reasons they can't advertise that, which means if you fry it they will not cover it from water damage.
This is true, however the guy assured me that it would be perfectly safe for puddles and mud, so I don't feel too concerned about the occasional splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakelenk521 View Post
is that the same with the mmp
Not sure, but that would be interesting to know. You can call up CC and ask them, they're really nice people (# is on their site). Report back if you do
Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I also emailed CC and this is the response I got back:

All of our car systems have their circuit boards dipped in Silicon Conformal Coating. This is an electrical waterproofing product with a military specification to 100 ft in salt water. However, it is a very thin coating and does not electrically insulate the components on the circuit board. The stuff would waterproof an iPod to 100 ft but with the amount of current running through an ESC, in water electricity can jump between components in ways it is not supposed to. The reason we donít electrically insulate the board is that anything that electrically insulates also thermally insulates so if we electrically insulate the ESC it will overheat.

What this means is that the ESC can handle moisture, splashing through puddles and wet grass etc. However, if you go through a puddle that submerges the ESC it will fail. If the ESC is submerged, it will not be covered under warranty.

--
Bernie Wolfard
Product Support
Castle Creations
235 S Kansas Ave
Olathe, KS 66061
913-390-6939 Ext 123
Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I ran my MMP through too deep a puddle after forgetting it was not water proof (previous ESC was). After that the car would not run at all, but luckily after drying, it was fine. There may be a coating, but as stated, it must be extremely thin since when I took the ESC apart I could not see any visible sort of coating.
Eric Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Sidewinder 5700kv combo

had the cc sidewinder combo for over a year now and drove it hard all winter in my scx10, never had an issue but, I always worried about the water deal, anyway I was looking around trying to find a way to water proof my sidewinder esc and came across this forum, so I gave the cc sidewinder the old deep mud and under water test, no bags, balloons or silicone, 4 lipos of thick mud and under water rips, i'm happy and think its a pretty great product for a decent price thumbs up castle
Madscx10freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tyrrell View Post
.....There may be a coating, but as stated, it must be extremely thin since when I took the ESC apart I could not see any visible sort of coating.

Its thin enough that its more of a tint than a coating. If you ever see an older one, you'll notice a color diff. Its due to this coating.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Has anyone successfully increased the waterproofness of any of these ESCs?

I'm getting a mamba micro pro (considered a sidewinder micro that looks easyish to waterproof) for my mini-t which will be a offroad basher but it is going to get wet on occasion, one of the places i run is right next to a permanent bog and there's a perfect bit where you can see a natural corner to drive round, but if you get it wrong, you're in the bog.. my old cobra went in it hundreds of times lol
Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skree View Post
Has anyone successfully increased the waterproofness of any of these ESCs?

I'm getting a mamba micro pro (considered a sidewinder micro that looks easyish to waterproof) for my mini-t which will be a offroad basher but it is going to get wet on occasion, one of the places i run is right next to a permanent bog and there's a perfect bit where you can see a natural corner to drive round, but if you get it wrong, you're in the bog.. my old cobra went in it hundreds of times lol
Should be even easier with the Sidewinder Micro, since it's just a heat-shrunk PCB...
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Sponsored Links