LiPo info

Old 03-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LiPo info

I am buying new servos for my 1/8 buggy and figured I may as well upgrade to LiPo batteries (servo's I am looking at recomend LiPo batteries)
I know nothing about them so is there a thread somewhere or a site that I can read that will teach me?
The ones I am looking at are different in 2 ways, one has a balance plug? (what is it and what does it do) and is labeled as 8C, what does that mean?
The other one is no balance plug and labeled as 3C
Also it advises I use a voltage regulator, any recomendations on that front?

Thanks for all and any advise.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Balance plug is used by a balancing charger or an external balancer to balance voltage in the individual lipo's cells. Lipo can be damaged by overcharging or overdischarging. If cells start balanced you're less likely to overdischarge a cell relative to the others. I've used lipos both with and without and the ones with a balance connector last longer since they can be balanced.

The C is the lipo's discharge rating. A amount of amps a lipo can discharge is its capacity (mah)/1000 x C rating. So a 2000mah 10C lipo can discharge 2000/1000 x 10 = 20amps. As long as the lipo you pick can supply your servos, its fine. For your use, C rating is not paramount like it wouild be if it was teh power source for an electric MT or TC.

Here's a little reading about lipo -

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Duster, I will have a read of that at home tonight.