Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
A common question. Which motor for my truck? >

A common question. Which motor for my truck?

A common question. Which motor for my truck?

Old 03-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default A common question. Which motor for my truck?

I was hoping for some help in choosing a motor for my track. The car will only be use in racing on the track (bashing will be very limited and 99% of the time on the track anyway).

SC10, stock bar RPM bumper and suspension arms.

Large open track, loose, fast, average jumps (designed for 1:8th buggy and truggy). One large gap that the stock RTR setups can't make, and therefore lose 5 seconds a lap scrambling up the leading face of the landing jump.

I will need good top end.

No rule restrictions... Yet.

I was looking at a 13.5 or 10.5 turn brushless, because I don't want to go insane, however would like to know of the motors which only have a kV rating which would be similar (eg Mamba Max 4600/5700). Is there a way to calculate the similarlarity?

My thinking is I would be wise to go for something like the Tekin RS with a 13.5 and use the programming and gearing to give me the top end I need but still have it controlable in the mickey mouse stuff.

So far my choices have been.
Novak Havoc Sport Spec Combo 13.5T
Novak Havoc Pro + 13.5/10.5T
Novak GTB + 13.5/10.5T
Castle Creations Sidewinder
Associated Ai Brushless ESC/X11 motor Short course mod
Tekin RS 10.5 Sensored Brushless System
Mamba max + 4600/5700kV

Of the ESC's mantioned, which have the advance programming that I have heard the Tekin has.

Most of these I can pick up for $200-$350AUS as a combo.
I would be willing to look at separate motro/ESC's if you suggest they are best bought individually.

I realise there are a lot of choices there, but I want one that is close to the top of the line. Yet be able to keep the temps in line, and not melt the car on my first run. Am I being realistic in this request?