Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Rise Up Against AMBrc's Overpriced Transponders!!!  Stop The Madness!!! >

Rise Up Against AMBrc's Overpriced Transponders!!! Stop The Madness!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rise Up Against AMBrc's Overpriced Transponders!!! Stop The Madness!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Questions??

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
If you think $90 is bad, think of it as a track owner. The AMB decoder is $3,000, the loop is $200, the house transponder charging rack is $600 and every house transponder is $135. So, with 20 house transponders the total cost would be $6,500 to get a nice AMB transponder system. Really nothing you can do. If you get the I-LAP one everybody will have to buy a new transponder and racers will complain.
A lot of people have said the the I-LAP transponder is compatible with AMBrc stuff... Do you know if that true? Cause you suggested that they don't work together, and that would suck!

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If the rumor I heard is true, guys buying the cheaper MRT PTX will be pissed when RC4 makes it way into decoders...

And I both agree and disagree, AMB came up with a solid system, that damn near lasts forever, then they packaged it well, and as a result it just works.

It's true they are not cheap, but overall if you weigh up value based on it's life and use, it's not 'that' bad.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

Questions??

Originally Posted by Bishop
If the rumor I heard is true, guys buying the cheaper MRT PTX will be pissed when RC4 makes it way into decoders...

And I both agree and disagree, AMB came up with a solid system, that damn near lasts forever, then they packaged it well, and as a result it just works.

It's true they are not cheap, but overall if you weigh up value based on it's life and use, it's not 'that' bad.
Whats this "RC4" thing everyone is talking about?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MotoRider42HC
A lot of people have said the the I-LAP transponder is compatible with AMBrc stuff... Do you know if that true? Cause you suggested that they don't work together, and that would suck!

Thanks!
Example:

An AMB transponder won't work with an ILap decoder and an ILap transponder won't work with an AMB decoder.

The thing is, is that it doesn't cost AMB more than $500-$1,000 to make the transponder system, and we are paying $3,000+ for it. But they had the system first and put a patent pending sticker on it so nobody could copy it and now we are stuck with them basically.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
Example:

An AMB transponder won't work with an ILap decoder and an ILap transponder won't work with an AMB decoder.

The thing is, is that it doesn't cost AMB more than $500-$1,000 to make the transponder system, and we are paying $3,000+ for it. But they had the system first and put a patent pending sticker on it so nobody could copy it and now we are stuck with them basically.
Until someone in China decides to copy it and sell it for dirt cheap. I'm still surprised no one over there has ripped off their transponders......

I agree $100+ is too much to pay. I'll keep using the track ones until someone comes out with a cheap ($30 or less) clone.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Lightbulb No donkeys were harmed in this post

Thanks!

Two totally different systems! MyLaps uses a magnet loop that can be buried in the track, or above it supported by a bridge.

I-Lap, is an infared system that needs a bridge to support the reciever sensors... it has to phyically see the transponders... Not compatible at all!!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

im not rich, i actually dont make much at all but if your doing this hobby $100 purchase is normal, yes it sucks if you run many classes but i have 3 my self
Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use AMB because it works..all the others that I have tried just have to many problems, so IMHO $65 for a POS is a bigger waist of money..Unions are NOT the problem..easy to blame..

Last edited by Fas1; 03-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Never had issues with mine, but ya way to damned expensive.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
Two totally different systems! MyLaps uses a magnet loop that can be buried in the track, or above it supported by a bridge.

I-Lap, is an infared system that needs a bridge to support the reciever sensors... it has to phyically see the transponders... Not compatible at all!!
I don't know about the IR thing, here: http://www.rclapcounter.com/

And: http://www.rclapcounter.com/page1/page1.html

Their website suggests it is fully compatible, and for only $35!!!

I don't know... what do you think?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

I race full size dirt modifieds and we paid 170.00 for our transponder this weekend.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Lightbulb

I-LapRC Race Timing System

Supplying Accurate and Affordable RC Race Timing Hardware to Thousands of Customers Worldwide Since 2004.

Works with any and all scale RC vehicles.
Mini-Z up to 1/4 scale, and even a version for Go-Karts.
Works with most AMB™ compatible race timing software.
Each transponder has a unique seven digit ID number.
Unlimited number of vehicles can be on the track at once.
High Frequency signals eliminate any and all interference.
Expandable to a 24 foot wide track lane.
Fully powered by your computer's USB port with no buried wires for
ultimate portability.
I don't know
about the IR thing, here: http://www.rclapcounter.com/

And: http://www.rclapcounter.com/page1/page1.html

Their website suggests it is fully compatible, and for only $35!!!

I don't know... what do you think?
Obviously!! Like all you're posts... we're trying to tell you.. but YOU don't listen.

The post above is from the link you posted... NO WHERE does it say it is compatible with an AMB system. Do a search for once! The manufacture of I-Lap is on this board... Ask him.. he'll tell you.

Its not what I think.. Its what I know!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Whats this "RC4" thing everyone is talking about?
Let me get this straight. You start a thread to bash a product, and you didnt research the product? So typical.

Listening to you, you sound more like a basher, less like a racer. So of course spending 100 bucks on a transponder sound crazy. But racers will spend 500 on a motor, 150 for each servo, so 100 for a transponder isnt that bad.

Also, the MRT is a great option which i would encourage people to use. But if you researched at all, you would have already known about them. You also would have known about the i-lap system, and you would know it is not compatible at all with AMBRC systems.

Lastly, your union bashing is uncalled for. Unions have nothing to do with the fact that AMB, or Mylaps has ever part of their transponder patented. They protected there design, and they have the right to charge what they feel is the right price. It has nothing to do with unions, but i wouldnt expect you to understand that.

Funny thing is, Artist come up with the designs, Engineers have to figure out how to make the Artists design work. So, if you want to be a designer, you went into the wrong field.

And a last bit of fact. You chevy and ford. The parts that make up those cars are made in china. Some assembly is done in the US, but most is done in Mexico, and Canada. That was done because parts are cheaper to produce and have a high rate of failure which in turn requires service visits at dealerships. Dealerships bread and butter is its Service department. If cars do not require service, then dealerships lose money.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bigedmond
Let me get this straight. You start a thread to bash a product, and you didnt research the product? So typical.

Listening to you, you sound more like a basher, less like a racer. So of course spending 100 bucks on a transponder sound crazy. But racers will spend 500 on a motor, 150 for each servo, so 100 for a transponder isnt that bad.

Lastly, your union bashing is uncalled for. Unions have nothing to do with the fact that AMB, or Mylaps has ever part of their transponder patented. They protected there design, and they have the right to charge what they feel is the right price. It has nothing to do with unions, but i wouldnt expect you to understand that.

Funny thing is, Artist come up with the designs, Engineers have to figure out how to make the Artists design work. So, if you want to be a designer, you went into the wrong field.

And a last bit of fact. You chevy and ford. The parts that make up those cars are made in china. Some assembly is done in the US, but most is done in Mexico, and Canada. That was done because parts are cheaper to produce and have a high rate of failure which in turn requires service visits at dealerships. Dealerships bread and butter is its Service department. If cars do not require service, then dealerships lose money.
Well, I don't agree with you too much. First, I have been to races, and looking at all those expensive cars makes me want to laugh. Nothing about those overpriced recievers, ESCs, motors and transponders makes them any better than the cheap(er) ones. Now, I am not saying go get an off-brand version, but seriously. While I was marshalling, I saw so many high-dollar vehicles break down, yet, not one stock Slash VXL broke.

I was able to blow past all but two of the 40 racers I practicied with, and I have a stock vehicle. Those other two, had maybe better tires, but thats it. I have a stock motor, stock tires, etc... I even hit the wall mabe 10 times while I was still playing with the throttle endpoint & expo, and no issues whatsoever.

Second, I'm not an idiot, I know those (real) cars' parts are from other countries, but at least some of the money comes back to America. Also, I utilize a local mechanic who is a good friend, so I get good deals, and help out the local economy.

Third, engineering is an art form. You have no idea how much creativity it takes to look at something, or draw something, then turn it into a working 3D computer model. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7MGxmNCTv0 Those are just reverse-engineered products, and no amount of instructions could tell you how to do it, its art.

Also, unions do cause problems. Corporates do too. Thats life, get over it.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Questions??

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
I-LapRC Race Timing System

Supplying Accurate and Affordable RC Race Timing Hardware to Thousands of Customers Worldwide Since 2004.

Works with any and all scale RC vehicles.
Mini-Z up to 1/4 scale, and even a version for Go-Karts.
Each transponder has a unique seven digit ID number.
Unlimited number of vehicles can be on the track at once.
High Frequency signals eliminate any and all interference.
Expandable to a 24 foot wide track lane.
Fully powered by your computer's USB port with no buried wires for
ultimate portability.

Obviously!! Like all you're posts... we're trying to tell you.. but YOU don't listen.

The post above is from the link you posted... NO WHERE does it say it is compatible with an AMB system. Do a search for once! The manufacture of I-Lap is on this board... Ask him.. he'll tell you.

Its not what I think.. Its what I know!
But it says:

Thats why I am confused...

I am trying to learn, but when I got conflicting info, you can't yell at me for trying to re-question it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.