Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Which Speed Controllers For This Motor? Big Newb! >

Which Speed Controllers For This Motor? Big Newb!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Speed Controllers For This Motor? Big Newb!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which Speed Controllers For This Motor? Big Newb!

Hi, I'm not sure which speed controllers go with this fan motor,
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6632

If it says that the power is 252W or 16 amps then is that the max power it can handle safely and do I need speed controllers that are in the 15 to 18 amp range for safe efficiency?

Like would this be a good one?
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6456&Product_Name=Hobbyk ing_SS_Series_15-18A_ESC

Or maybe these are better?
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4218&Product_Name=TURNIG Y_Sentry_18amp_Speed_Controller

hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6233&Product_Name=TURNIG Y_8-15A_UBEC_for_Lipoly

I have this speed controller already but it's 25 amps so I'm worried about frying something.
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2167

Also is this battery good for the motor,
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9267

If I understand it correctly you're suppose to multiply the constant discharge which is "30C" by 2.65 for that battery and then that gives me about 80 amps constant, If I get a speed controller at 15 to 18 amps then will it safely handle the constant 80 amps or does it not matter if it's higher?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mecky
Hi, I'm not sure which speed controllers go with this fan motor,
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6632

If it says that the power is 252W or 16 amps then is that the max power it can handle safely and do I need speed controllers that are in the 15 to 18 amp range for safe efficiency?

Like would this be a good one?
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6456&Product_Name=Hobbyk ing_SS_Series_15-18A_ESC

Or maybe these are better?
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4218&Product_Name=TURNIG Y_Sentry_18amp_Speed_Controller

hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6233&Product_Name=TURNIG Y_8-15A_UBEC_for_Lipoly

I have this speed controller already but it's 25 amps so I'm worried about frying something.
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2167

Also is this battery good for the motor,
hobbycity. com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9267

If I understand it correctly you're suppose to multiply the constant discharge which is "30C" by 2.65 for that battery and then that gives me about 80 amps constant, If I get a speed controller at 15 to 18 amps then will it safely handle the constant 80 amps or does it not matter if it's higher?

Thanks!
You will always want the battery to be able to handle more Amps then the Speed Control will take. Basically it means the battery can give up to a that amount of amps, and will give the speed controller what it wants up to that point.