R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Protek Life Receiver battery

Hi guys i have a kyosho st-rr truggy with ace servos i powered them with a stickman 6v 2500mah ...But is very heavy...My friend/pitman said me to put a lipo 7.4v but i dont want lipo and regulators..And now i see amain brings a new protek life receiver 6.6volt 1700mah battery...Is it good?
Thanks
the_winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_winner View Post
Hi guys i have a kyosho st-rr truggy with ace servos i powered them with a stickman 6v 2500mah ...But is very heavy...My friend/pitman said me to put a lipo 7.4v but i dont want lipo and regulators..And now i see amain brings a new protek life receiver 6.6volt 1700mah battery...Is it good?
Thanks
its looks good im going to have to give it a try. im going to order on this week
Old 03-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks
It's good and safe. You do need a charger that charges LiFe though.
Who8mySandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default life

I have ran the lipo bat. with reg. for a couple of yrs now in bug and trug. and have spent a lot of moon dust on regs. that have failed. I have heard good things about the life bat. I would like to try them myself, but don't they take a specific charger. I haven't done my research yet. Currently I have 2 Ice chargers and read somewhere they won't work. Hate to spend another $100-200 on another charger.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Tech Addict

im use the venom pro charge and it will charge LiFe batts
Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Tech Regular

I will try too this Life batt..but it will fit at the kyosho st-rr radio box?? I have the turnigy acuccel-6 charger(venom charger,imax b6,xcellorin b6,GT A6,route 246 kyosho,team losi lipo charger all are shame with the turnigy) which charge Life packs... My friend with buggy he put a lipo but he spend a lot at regulator so he will have not failure...
How much this protek will last? 50 minutes can hold?
the_winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

A lifE can be run down to a little lower voltage then a lipo so a 1450mah life should give as much run time as a 2000mah lipo way more then the best nimh reciever pack and life's get better as u use without needing to be cycled like a nimh to get peak performance.....in 2yrs life will be the standard in reciever batterys IMO or hv servo's
RCP Customs-RC Juice
rkhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristyn View Post
Currently I have 2 Ice chargers and read somewhere they won't work. Hate to spend another $100-200 on another charger.
LiFe batteries charge at a different voltage than LiPo. LiPo is 7.4v, LiFe is 6.6v. (don't need a regulator for LiFe receiver packs) The ICE doesn't have software for LiFe.
motomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just switched to Lipo and picked up this charger:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Charger-6S-5A

Works great and is also LiFe compatible. Fan is loud as all get out but I can live with that.

I plan to pick up a LiFe rx pack to try - anyone know of a good low voltage warning system to use with these? Something like a led that can be checked with a quick glance?

I have the ebay low voltage buzzer on the way for my box. Is there anything similiar for Life low voltage warnings?
HiVoltg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks
I run that protek life hump pack and its alittle smaller then that stickman you are running but on many cars you will have to charge it in the cars battery box because you may have to take the box apart to get in in there in the first place ( like the stickman).
I personally only run LIFE receiver packs now. It has Almost all of Lipo's advantages and then some with none of its disadvantages.for me regular voltage servo's already over perform so I dont need more voltage. One thing I really like about LIFE is the way it doesnt loss voltage just sitting around. If you charged it last week its good to go today.Once it becomes more popular it will probably be the standard for receiver packs so yes its good.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just bought a couple for Silver State I'll let you know how it goes. So far I like them. They are a little tight but did fit in my radio boxes.

I'm using this charger.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-6A-50W
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Made by intellec and they will only fit a kyosho,sx8 anything will a large receiver box .

will not fit losi,odonnell,rc8b,D8 etc .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

they fit in the mp9 and STrr radio boxes.....I just ordered 2 of them tonight.
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Same batt w/o the protek mark up. the hump will fit rc8b and the stick pack fits mugen and xray.

http://www.rc-toro.com/index.php?cPa...a107f1ab7fffb4
Werks Racing
Eagle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Made by intellec and they will only fit a kyosho,sx8 anything will a large receiver box .

will not fit losi,odonnell,rc8b,D8 etc .
The protek LiFe hump pack fits in my old RC8T and my new RC8T CE. The RC8T CE has the same radio tray as the RC8B so I'm not sure why it wouldn't fit the RC8B.
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote