Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin rs with 1/8 motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Tekin rs with 1/8 motor

Can this combo work or is the motor drawing to many amps for it to work. I suppose it would would with a motor that only draw the amount of amps as the speedo can take. I saw a video of someones car with this and I might do it if it works without burning up my tekin rs.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would not try it myself. The RS/RSpro has a 11.1V maximum. Most 8th setups need a MINIMUM 2 HP, or around 1500 Watts. This would put you around 135 Amps with 3s lipo. I dont see any 10th scale ESC lasting long with that kind of current. It could be done with a very mild motor and light buggy, but it would not be very fast at all.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It will work but depends on how much battery you plan on using. Guys are using the RS and RS Pro in 4wd SC trucks without issues but only on 2s lipos.

I wouldn't recommend going with anything larger than that or in anything any heavier as you will run into problems I'm sure.

Tekin RS is rated for use on up to a 5 turn 36mm can motor the Novak 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 HV motors are 35.8 mm can motors and that is what are being used in the 4WD SC's. The RS Pro has no motor limit and I'm pretty sure it would handle about anything motor-wise but the battery size would be a limiting factor. Specs taken from Tekin site are that the RS is rated for 104 amps and the RS Pro is rated for 208 amps.

Lightweight applications on low cell counts would be fine but start bumping up the weight or adding more cells and you'll surely fry the ESC.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I mis-read the question! I thought you asked if it would work in a 1/8th scale, but you asked if it would work for a 1/8th size motor.

In this case I agree with the above. In something like a SC truck, the RSpro should be fine.
Most of the 8th size motors are lower Kv than 10th. This means you will need a very low(numerically) gear ratio, or higher voltage to achieve good speed. With a 3s limit voltage is limited, and lower gear ratios will produce high current draw.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

RS Pro would work if you disconnected For bec.Pro and Rx8 are basically the same speed control (same number of fets) just tweaks for 8th scale( heat sinks and fan) Would I recommend it .....HECK NO but can be done.For the price just buy an rx8