Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
helios ex10, lost 10ft range? >

helios ex10, lost 10ft range?

helios ex10, lost 10ft range?

Old 02-07-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default helios ex10, lost 10ft range?

huh? i bought a used ex10 a while back, it has the spectrum pro module and it ran great. only issue was it had the module antenna mod done on it and the antenna was flopping around on top getting caught on everything. with psycho coming up i wanted to avoid any issues so i decided to shorten the antenna tube and just have a little nub sticking out of the top for a cap. i removed the antenna and hinge, pulled out the wire, pushed the wire in then cut off the end of the antenna tube and used it for the cap on top. sweet. took it to the track last night and when my 1/18 took off on me as i was walking up the stand i thought maybe there was an issue. i started a range test on my 1/8th scale and would loose signal about 10ft away. not good. after swapping out radios and driving the car with another spectrum it had to be the tx, the one i had just messed with, great. got home and found the removed parts and inside the tube was a 1" piece of wire on a brass clip. it had snapped off inside when i puuled out the antenna wire. so i checked google and found a thread in the uk or somewhere where a guy had done something similar and just spliced the end of the antenna about 1 inch and exposed the second layer of plastic wire inside. i pulled out the wire, spliced off about 1/4 inch of the grey wire. under that there is a metallic mesh that covers the white wire underneath. spliced that off too so now the antenna goes from grey to white. set the truck down on the driveway and started to walk away, it worked as far as about 100ft. this morning i spliced another 3/4 of the wire and did the test and had range as far as i could see the wheels moving. very easy fix to someone who may have accidentally cut or broken their antenna on the spectrum pro module.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

yup, took it to the track today and it worked flawlessly.