Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADDING larger wires to LIPO batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default ADDING larger wires to LIPO batteries?

How difficult would it be to add larger wires to a LIPO battery? I'm thinking of using a reciever pack lipo that would be the perfect size for a crawler and want to know how difficult it would be to open it up and re solder on some larger wires for deans connectors.
Any issues or tips if it's possible would be greatly appreciated. Surely theres an electrical guro here that would know.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Depends on the lipo, If the main power wires are directly attached to the cell tabs, its a matter of the right soldering equip - some tabs are copper and some are zinc - copper is easy, zinc requires a special solder and flux, both of which are corrosive and make toxic fumes.

Some lipos have small pcb inside where main power wires originate - another case that should be fairly easy to handle.

Usually these rcvr pacs have a low C rating and won't be much good for running a motor, but I don't know about a crawlers amp demand.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I did opened no. of Lipo's. Some of them does not made it possible to direct solder. The wires link are seal using welding equiptment. This is to prevent heat from spoiling the terminals.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Depends on the lipo, If the main power wires are directly attached to the cell tabs, its a matter of the right soldering equip - some tabs are copper and some are zinc - copper is easy, zinc requires a special solder and flux, both of which are corrosive and make toxic fumes.

Some lipos have small pcb inside where main power wires originate - another case that should be fairly easy to handle.

Usually these rcvr pacs have a low C rating and won't be much good for running a motor, but I don't know about a crawlers amp demand.
aluminum tabs, zinc solder/flux is necessary...

if the tabs have already been tinned, you can soulder on them with no special equipment
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

My bad, alum tabs...

An good luck even if they are tinned not using the right stuff. I've tried and the stuff won't wet anything thats had reg solder on it, at least it wouldn't for me. Maybe with fresh wire....
Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I'v never had a problem as long as there is some solder still on the batt tabs
Old 01-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Lord

I've only tried it once (the next time I had the correct flux and solder) and what was there wouldn't wet the wire or even begin to stick.