Wiki Posts
Search

new amb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:10 AM
sac
Tech Regular

Thumbs down

MYLAPS/AMB should find a way to lower the price of the decoder and transponders,not increase.

This is why system's like the I-LAP infered lap counter's are starting to become more and more popular.Track owners are starting to wake up and realize you DO NOT need a MYLAPS/AMB system to have a successful track.The ones that say ,"the big races only use AMB's" again who cares ,that is a very small percentage of drivers,compared to club drivers.These days it come down to money ,I-LAP transponder $38 compared to $115 or more for a AMB.Plus the cost of the system its self.I-LAP about $500-$800 for a complete system w/track pt. or $3500+ for a AMB .For a system that just counts laps.

And for the racers who say "i won't run at a track that doesn't use AMB" ,get a life and you are not the die hard racer you think you are!! a real racer,races no matter what lap counter is being used.THEY JUST WANT TO RACE!!

sac

Last edited by sac; 12-05-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Nobody cares if the new transponder works with the old
system. The concern is that AMB is getting ready to obsolete the old transponders, which we have invested in to the tune of hundreds of dollars, by dropping support for the old decoders. They are offering deals on upgrades to the new system, which will not use the old transponder. There is your clue. They are definitely planning to move on.

If they were just upgrading, the old transponders would work with the new system. I don't need the race director to know my esc is 125 *F
So I shouldn't bother buying the old style AMB transponders then? I've been looking for some used ones to get started in racing. Maybe I'll wait....
Old 12-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

I know a few people who do programming, and they have all said, making the software is not expensive, just time consuming, the electronics are not that expensive either. One friend told me he could have a software system up and running in about 40-80 hours worth of labor, including testing. Most of the companies want to be "paid for their time" which I dont have a problem with, but all the small clubs across the nation cannot afford a $500-$1000 software and $3500 AMB system. Spark software is like $1000 last time I checked.

As long as there is high priced systems, there will always be the cheaper alternative...

We will see when this all shakes down and what MyLaps will do with the older RC2 stuff. It may become like when it first came out, AMB20 is not compatible. Once the new system comes online in Feb, it may run a year after that, then they will change the protocol again, and the older DP transponders wont work..
Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Initiate

I hear rumor MRT developing a decoder for MRT and AMBrc transponders with advanced features at affordable price anyone else know about a new system?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

reall effective way to lower the price on the new 1 is for every1 to not buy it.

then they'll just make the new 1 'not compatible' with old systems. give and take. i-lap, hmm, never heard of it.

R
Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 AM
sac
Tech Regular

ultegrasti

The I-LAP infered lap counting system,there website www.rclapcounter.com is the BEST alternative to a MYLAPS/AMB system .It uses a infered transponder instead of a radio frequency transponder like the AMB.Both are accurate,but are not compatible with each other.They both use the same lap counting software,its just the hardware is different.A I-LAP system minus the software can start between $500-$700 for the whole system w/ track set of transponders.MYLAPS/AMB will start at around $3500+ minus software.Software can range from free to over $600 depending on company.We use LAPS FREE(yes its a free program) lap counting software on our I-LAP system the past two season.It has worked FLAWLESS the whole time.With MYLAPS/AMB doing a price increase after the first of the year.New track owners should take i hard look into the I-LAP system,it is worth the money and the owner Craig has great customer service if needed.

sac
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hmm, good info. there's a track/club where i'm movin that needs help and 1 area is in the lap counting dept. somethin to chew on for sure. thx

R
Old 12-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RC4 decoder is backwards compatible with rc3 transponders. You will just miss out on some new items, such as tempature, voltage etc.. Main benefit on new transponders is CarID, so one transpondernumber but for 4 of 5 cars. Latest number is your car ID, so no worries

some info: http://www.rcbigscaleforum.nl/images...Y_BENEFITS.pdf
Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Tech Adept

As a test at the weekend, 5 of the new PT's were used at the weekend running on a AMBrc decoder and worked perfectly.

HTH
Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Again, nobody cares about the new pt working with an older system. I'm sure it's flawless.

I worry about the old pt working with the new system...
Old 12-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Seems to be a bit of a gray area.....I have read where the hybrid RC4 and RC2 transponders will work with RC2 and RC3 decoders. Also read where the future RC4 transponder (non-hybrid?) will only work only with the RC4 and RC3decoder (assuming the RC3 firmware is updated to RC4 protocol). Have not read yet where the RC2 transponder will work with the new RC4 decoder.

So assuming the future RC4 transponder is not backwards compatible makes sense that the RC2 is not forward compatible.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well,

I guess no one followed the link I posted on page 1.

I have copy/pasted it for everyone off of the MY Laps site. To me it looks like the RC4 Decoder is backwards complatible.

The RC4 Decoder has the following advantages:
• Supports the new RC4 communication protocol
• More reliable
o More sensitive signal detection due to optimized digital receivers
o Double hit rate for RC4 Transponders
• More features
o Ambient temperature upload * / **
o Transponder operating voltage upload **
o Supports Car ID Transponders **
o Supports Loop trigger functionality
o Many more…
• Fully backwards compatible with current MYLAPS RC2 Transponder (formerly known as AMBrc-
DP transponder)
Old 12-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

I sent a email to them asking if the older transponders will work with the new rc4 system, so i'll have to wait until i hear back from them.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Myself and a couple friends attended the iHobby Expo in Chicago in October. We spoke with AMB there about their new system. The new decoder is 100% backwards compatible with our current transponders. He did however claim that it would not work with the MRT clones. He didn't elaborate on that, but if I had to guess it probably just means that the new system will block or ignore the 20 preset numbers that are available on the MRT transponders. I would guess that if you had your personal number cloned, that your clone transponders will still work. Again this is just a guess on my part. I just don't see how the system could possibly identify a true personal clone.

The new system does offer some neat features. The decoder is capable of connecting to an internet connection and uploading lap times in real-time to their website. So you can run some practice and go back to your pit, log-on, and view your stats. I believe this can be done without the use of their software, but of course their are added benefits if you do so. However as I recall their software is and additional $1320. I know...big shock.

Though the system does offer a few cool perks I still think it is FAR too expensive. They kept telling us how they could offer a $1000 discount if we were to trade in our old decoder. Thats all fine and good, but it just isn't worth $2k to add a few online features. Features that could easily be built into 3rd party software such as RCScoringPro and used with existing systems.

One thing that really cracked me up is that the guy we were talking with, who I'm pretty certain is the owner, seemed somewhat stumped as to why they aren't selling many transponders. We flat out told him that they were just too expensive, and he went into some speech about how manufacturing costs have driven up the price. Personally I think that is a total line of crap. I see no way possible that those things could possibly have more than a few dollars worth of parts and labor in them. If they do, I think he should look for someone else to do the manufacturing.

Anyway, I hope this puts some of your fears to rest.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by avrcguy
He did however claim that it would not work with the MRT clones. He didn't elaborate on that, but if I had to guess it probably just means that the new system will block or ignore the 20 preset numbers that are available on the MRT transponders. I would guess that if you had your personal number cloned, that your clone transponders will still work. Again this is just a guess on my part. I just don't see how the system could possibly identify a true personal clone.

Anyway, I hope this puts some of your fears to rest.

Not doubting you... but I don't believe any of that!!

First off, there are 21 transponders, inside of all MRT PTX's.

Second, technically all the transponders numbers in them are are clones (there are no made up numbers in them). I can tell you for a fact, the first 10 numbers in all of them were cloned from house transponders!

So if the PTX's aren't going to work... cant see how PT's (mylaps rc2) transponders would work... and thats not what Mylaps is claiming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.