Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5200mah lipo getting up to 5560mah+??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 5200mah lipo getting up to 5560mah+??

I have a Trinity EP 5200mah 35c 2s lipo charging on a Thunder AC6 charger (one of the many variations of the hong kong balancing chargers). I just charged my battery and was worried and switched it off because it was still going even though it had put 5560 mah back into the pack. I checked several times and it never read beyond 4.2v on either cell and was in the constant voltage phase of the charge, but should i be concerned that it is putting that much back in the battery? The charger has a capacity cut-off that I can use, but if it's ok to put that much back in the battery, then I'm all for it

side note, i went to the LVC on my novak havoc spec esc which is at 6.25v on the previous run.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My Hyperion charger has a 120% capacity safety shut down, but thats a lot of extra mah on a 5000+mah lipo and I wouldn't let it go that far. I have seen many that report their lipos takes more than rated capacity and guess the manufacturer is just conservative about the capacity. I've never run into that with any of mine though and I've never read an explanation for why this happens either.

As long as its not getting hot, not swelling, don't think it's being damaged. You let it get into the CV part of the charge, so all cells should be at max voltage. I'd take a bout 10% extra ans call it good and have the charger shut oif off. This may be temporary - as you get some cycles on it, this may go away or the extra amount will decrease.

Did a little checking into this and it seems this is an under rating prob (if thats a prob...). Some guys have pulled soft cased lipos apart that were taking more than the rated capacity and found labels inside on the cells (its usually stamped on the lipo cells) that were higher - like an advertised 5000mah having cells saying 6000mah. Not a bad situation to be in......

Last edited by Duster_360; 11-30-2009 at 05:08 PM.