Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Radio for Many applications

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Best Radio for Many applications

I have done many searches and have not really seen a good answer for my radio questions. So here are my questions.

I have several cars Slash, Rustler VXL, M18 with brushless, and TC4. I expect to add more of the years. The TC4 is a roller at the moment, but looking to put a Castle 5700 in it. My son and I just play around, no racing anytime soon. The training mode on the Slash is too slow for my boy, but around the neighborhood, the full speed is too fast. Also, the TC4 will probably see multiple purposes, like drift and high speed runs. I would like to be sure the controllers I get or upgrade to can serve our needs. Long range, end point adjustments, and model memory.

Our running places, are around the neighborhood, which is short range, a a park with very big fields where the cars can get a good distance away, and parking lots where we run around fast and get speed runs in. Here too, the distances can get pretty far.

Questions.

1. Which 2.4GHz radio actually gets good range? The Airtronics MX-3 Sport claims >1000ft. Can it do this? I have seen that Spectrum claims similar, but many report only a few hundred feet of distance for range. In particular the DX3S is what I wonder about (I do know that the telemetry is only a few 100ft). Most of the range questions on the board deal with track racing that is close range.

2. Can a controller have the same RX setup for different users? For instance, the Slash setup for me at full power, a setting for my son, and then a supper slow setting for other kids? Do the MX-3 Sport or the Spectrum support this?

3. Can a RX be bound into memory for multiple radios? So if I have 2 radios, can both radios be bound to the car without having to rebind each time a different radio is to control it?

4. Do both the Specturm and Airtronics RX have fail safes built in?

Thanks for the help,
Bill
Old 11-25-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I cant say anything about the mx3, but a 3pks, 4pk, Helios, Ex1UR, Mars R, m8, m11 , all have the ability to have multiple settings for the same car. I've got the KO ex1ur, and I think it's got a 22 or 25 model memory. More cars than I"ll ever own at one time, but I could have 5 different profiles for the same car, say one for a small track, large track, slippery track, oval , etc....

A good radio is alot of money up front, but well worth the investment. I'd suggest spending a couple hours on here researching different radios ( read the threads of actual owners) , and then hit up the local hobby shop.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can not have a receiver bound to 2 transmitters at the same time. You will have to rebind each time you want to switch transmitters.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

The Airtronics do have a real range of over 1000ft, but that's with direct line of sight with no other radios operating in the area. Also that's with the transmitter elevated up high like on the racing stand not from ground level.

The system has built-in throttle fail safe.

The Sport only has 10 model memory so you're limited 10 different profiles or models. The MX-3FG has 18 model memory.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for the information.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default dx3s

I just bought a dx3s I run 6 cars dirt, onroad, monster,mini t even a sandrail dragster I have good sight and still haven't been able to go outside my range of sight/control. Plus comes with 2 receivers and can do dsm2 now all for a great price.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I can't stress how important it is to have a good radio, after all, it is radio-controlled cars. That's half of what this is!

In the end, it all comes down to preference.

My favorite radio is the MX-3FG right now. I don't think I'll ever be able to use the M11s fully, and I don't really like the Spektrum stuff at all...

Futabas are great, but I just love the look and feel of the MX-3... I have the synthesized 75MHz version, and now the 2.4GHz FG...
Old 11-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Just picked up a M11 2.4 for 215otd from hobbypeople cant beat that deal i dont think.