Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba 2pl 2.4 vs. Airtronics MX-Sport vs. Airtronics MX-3 FHSS

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Exclamation Futaba 2pl 2.4 vs. Airtronics MX-Sport vs. Airtronics MX-3 FHSS

So a friend of mine wants a new radio. He was eyeing the MX-Sport but I told him that as awesome as it seemed, not having end point adjustments took away from it. Then I found the Futaba 2pl 2.4 which has the same features + end point adjustment (and cheaper receivers) for less money. He seemed interested but really wanted to stick to Airtronics if he could (he really likes Airtronics). So today I got the thanksgiving weekend sale ad from Hobbypeople and there is the MX-3FG FHSS-2 system for $99.99. Ideally...that would be the one to go with right? I currently have an MX-3 FHSS and love it. Had a regular FM mx-3 before that...great radio and has all the features I need as racer (and basher too i guess). What are your guys's thoughts?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I too had the same problem last week and I was going to purchase the Airtronlcs MX for $129 at Tower Hobbies. Went to my Hobbytown (they wanted $147 out the door a good price) and look at long and hard at the Airtronics it had many great features but the one feature that I consider a must have is a Dual rate steering control Futaba has it it's a thumb conrol like the old Magnum JR one of my favorite radio's. Sometimes when racing conditions change the car has too much steering or not enough it is so nice to be able to adjust the steering rate on the fly. So I went with the Futaba
2pl and it was cheaper. I found a coupon on line for $15 off on orders of 150 more so I bought a Late model 1/8th scale body and a set of tires with shipping it was under $150. Tower has the 2pl for $89

I was very impressed on how well a budget 2.4 performed and would recomend the Futaba highly.
I also tried servo's from Hobbypartz (995 combo pack) 2 high torque high speed digital metal gear servo's 208 oz of torque @6v. These servo's work well fast stong and worth th the price $18 a pair. I would highly recomend these servo's.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Tech Addict

At $99 the MX-3FG is a no brainer, it comes with D/R AND curves AND 3rd channel so you could control car lights etc. The MX-3FG is better than the 2PL hands down, I have both. Heck the nice LCD on the Sanwa alone is worth the extra cost over the 2PL when it's not on sale. The shark fin antenna looks cool too. The 2PL just looks wierd with no antenna but still has the antenna base.

I might get another MX-3FG during the sale just for the receiver lol.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PaPeRo
At $99 the MX-3FG is a no brainer, it comes with D/R AND curves AND 3rd channel so you could control car lights etc. The MX-3FG is better than the 2PL hands down, I have both. Heck the nice LCD on the Sanwa alone is worth the extra cost over the 2PL when it's not on sale. The shark fin antenna looks cool too. The 2PL just looks wierd with no antenna but still has the antenna base.

I might get another MX-3FG during the sale just for the receiver lol.
yeah i really wish the FHSS receivers were cheaper
Old 11-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default MX-Sport 2.4 EPA

I have read both that the Airtronics MX-Sport has EPA, and that it doesn't have EPA I can't find anything official either way. Now that they are out, can someone clarify whether or not it they have End Point Adjustments?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Sport definitely has EPA. I own it, and it's awesome. You won't find more features on a radio for that price.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
The Sport definitely has EPA. I own it, and it's awesome. You won't find more features on a radio for that price.
Great, thanks for clearing that up for me!!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

what about sub-trims on the mx-sport?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:37 AM
Tech Addict

Steering and Throttle Dual Rate
Steering and Throttle EXPO
Old 11-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
what about sub-trims on the mx-sport?
If you mean steering and throttle trim, yes it has those as well.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

If you mean steering and throttle trim, yes it has those as well.

okay so it doesnt have steering sub-trim.

The 2pl does, at least thats what it says i think.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
okay so it doesnt have steering sub-trim.

The 2pl does, at least thats what it says i think.
What is steering sub trim and why would you need it if you already have standard steering trim?

I have a 2PL, I don't recall any subtrim...where did you hear it has subtrim?

Here is the manual.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/2pl-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

Even the MX-Sport is better than the 2PL since it has EXPO which the 2PL does not.

Last edited by PaPeRo; 11-29-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

sub-trim is a finer adjustment of any trims, be it steering or throttle. Onroad cars are really sensitive with trims and one movement of the regular trim one way or another can be too much, thats when the finer adjustment from sub-trims come in handy.

but you're right i cant seem to find that feture on either the 2pl or sport. Guess my eyes were deceiving me last time i checked.

i dont understand why the mx-sport doesnt advertise it has EPA if it does though.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

The latest ad I saw in RC Car Action says it has EPA. They really could do more and better ads though and have more info on their website. The MX Sport isn't even on the site.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

They really could do more and better ads though and have more info on their website. The MX Sport isn't even on the site.
Agreed.

The MX-Sport has pretty much the same features as the MX-3FG with the only difference being the number of model memories and the ability to name models on the Sport. Why they don't properly list the radio on their website is a mystery.

Looks like they have a new site up, but from the looks of it..it's worse than the old site...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.