Wiki Posts
Search

3PK / HRS reciever problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 3PK / HRS reciever problems

My reciever (I think) is playing up. It just cuts out and stops responding at all, and it wasn't doing anything like this (in this car, or others) previously so I can't imagine what is causing it. It cuts out and comes back, very on/off, but it mostly only happens when the engine is running. Sometimes it just stays off.

I did put a different engine in at the same time, but I've used it in the car previously without this issue, so it doesn't really make sense that that would cause it.

I have also tried two different hump packs, so it's not the batteries.

It is the original 3PK, original HRS reciever, and 2x futaba digital servos (9350/9451).

Any suggestions appreciated (any known issues?), bit annoyed because I expected this gear to be reliable for a long time. If it matters, I'm using a switch (also futaba) but I've never had a problem with it/them in the past.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Check the servos for frayed wires that might be rubbing against the chassis. Had a problem with glitching before that would only happen when the engine was running. Turned out to be a frayed servo wire.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would isolate the switch just to be sure its not the cause of the prob. I run pretty much only Futaba stuff and haven't had an rx go bad. I use a 3PK and 3PJS txs, but with PCM and PPM rxs or a FAAST setup. I have a HRS rx, just have never used it.

Just a comment - the price of the r203 has come way down, these used to be about $100, now about half of that so if you have to replace it won't be quite as painful.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Try different crystals also, they do go bad from vibration over time.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Just an update, I tried a new switch (known to work) which didn't fix it, so with the battery and switch isolated I decided to try a different reciever (and radio) altogether.

It fixed the problem... so there's something wrong with my poor R203HF

I will try your suggestion JonnySocko, with a spare set of crystals, and report back. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Just tried new crystals, same problem!

Guess my reciever is dying... am I the first person this has happened to? I'm so confused, it goes crazy when the engine is running, but behaves itself before it's been fired up. It's never been wet or had petrol on it, but might have copped a decent amount of vibration and shock (1/8 buggy).

Oh well, if there's any other suggestions (happy to pull it apart and inspect) I'd be keen to give it a go, otherwise it's new reciever time...
Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You need a new receiver. There is a ceramic filter inside that will go bad from vibration over time or crack in a hard crash.