Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson) >

How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson)

Like Tree31Likes

How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson)

Old 01-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If it helps, I am glad.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Great information. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

I found this thread very informative...Thank you!!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Marine! Your explanation on the soldering in no doubt a good job and quite satisfactory but at the same time it looks little lengthy. If it was in brief then surely i wil read it completely.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you great post
Old 03-02-2017, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by soldertraining
Hi Marine! Your explanation on the soldering in no doubt a good job and quite satisfactory but at the same time it looks little lengthy. If it was in brief then surely i wil read it completely.
There is a shorter version in the beginner section, but it does not go into much technical detail.

Soldering isn't a simple subject, and has a lot of nuances.

The long post is because I wanted to provide as thorough and clear instructions and lesson that I could through the mechanics of a forum post. I am not there to teach hands on, so clairity and thoroughness is key.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Precisely. There isn't a single bit of this that is fluff. All of it is to the point and VERY important if you want to learn how to solder correctly.

Sadly not many people know how to solder properly and the poor practices are taught over and over. Marine is trying to help you guys (as did I) so that you have flawless solder points moving forward.

I mean, soldering is so important and can really add to the look of your electronics and it KILLS me to see even the Pros' equipment soldered up so awfully…

This is Mayfield's new YZ-2

Can you say…

Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
Precisely. There isn't a single bit of this that is fluff. All of it is to the point and VERY important if you want to learn how to solder correctly.

Sadly not many people know how to solder properly and the poor practices are taught over and over. Marine is trying to help you guys (as did I) so that you have flawless solder points moving forward.

I mean, soldering is so important and can really add to the look of your electronics and it KILLS me to see even the Pros' equipment soldered up so awfully…

This is Mayfield's new YZ-2

Totally agreed, the length of the post is necessary and is full of insightful tidbits that you may never have even considered when soldering. It's most definitely worth setting aside some time to read in full.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

That solder job hurts a bit...

The insufficient solder can affect power flow.

And thanks for the replies about the good quality of my post.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Deadly! Thank you. Been soldering (intermittently) for 20 years, and I still am honing the art!

Maybe Ryan needs a refresher course or needs to fire his soldering bud :P
Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Or maybe these Pro-Drivers can send me their vehicles so I can solder them up for $100 a pop!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:09 AM
Tech Regular

Default Ask for Information

Hi All,

I just installed Orion Vortex R8.1 Pro and stupidly cut on of the wire too short..

I tried to change the wire from the ESC Board but it seems that the solder tin is very very very difficult to melt.

I stopped my attempt to change the wire because I am afraid of burning the PC Board.

DO You guys have any suggestion?

Cheers..
Old 04-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

You need an iron that has a lot of thermal mass.

You need the iron to hold heat and put it out quickly to the wire.

You can't cheap out on the iron for this, and the tip shape needs to be wide and flat to maximize surface area.

Or you can use a bullet connector to add extra wire to the end you cut.

Originally Posted by stanleyw808
Hi All,

I just installed Orion Vortex R8.1 Pro and stupidly cut on of the wire too short..

I tried to change the wire from the ESC Board but it seems that the solder tin is very very very difficult to melt.

I stopped my attempt to change the wire because I am afraid of burning the PC Board.

DO You guys have any suggestion?

Cheers..
pphaneuf likes this.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Hello marine6680,

Thank You very much for Your concern and replying my question.

At the moment I am using OKI Soldering System PS-900. I would say that this Soldering Iron is pretty good. I am honestly a beginner but I could solder the other joints motors and battery plug with ease, I would say, very easy.

But to melt the solder tin on that ESC Board is suspiciously difficult. So, that is why I was thinking maybe the factory is using another type of Tin, maybe?

And the most importantly, do You recommend changing the Factory wire or not?

Is it common to change the wire, I ask this because this is my first time doing a serious Electric Car for serious racing. I spend most of my time on Nitro Class.. Haha..

Cheers..

Originally Posted by marine6680
You need an iron that has a lot of thermal mass.

You need the iron to hold heat and put it out quickly to the wire.

You can't cheap out on the iron for this, and the tip shape needs to be wide and flat to maximize surface area.

Or you can use a bullet connector to add extra wire to the end you cut.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:58 AM
Tech Regular

Thats a fixed temp iron.

From what I can see, tip selection controls the actual working temperature of the tip. I can not find info on the type of heating element.

It is possible that the factory solder is a high temp type... Or its simply the large mass at the connection preventing the solder from heating quickly before the heat conducts down the wire and away from the solder connection.

Getting the heat to move into the connection quickly is the key.

Getting a new tip seems like a likely first step. Soldering is all about heat control and nuance.

Changing the wire is the best way to repair it to where you need it to be. But extending the existing wire using a high amp bullet connector to join an extra length piece, is the easiest method.

Originally Posted by stanleyw808
Hello marine6680,

Thank You very much for Your concern and replying my question.

At the moment I am using OKI Soldering System PS-900. I would say that this Soldering Iron is pretty good. I am honestly a beginner but I could solder the other joints motors and battery plug with ease, I would say, very easy.

But to melt the solder tin on that ESC Board is suspiciously difficult. So, that is why I was thinking maybe the factory is using another type of Tin, maybe?

And the most importantly, do You recommend changing the Factory wire or not?

Is it common to change the wire, I ask this because this is my first time doing a serious Electric Car for serious racing. I spend most of my time on Nitro Class.. Haha..

Cheers..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.