Wiki Posts
Search

FM glitching problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default FM glitching problem

I have started to have a glitching problem. Is there any way to correct this? Maybe a capacitor in the reciever??????
I have a lynx 3d tx and different models of recievers in different nitro models, all are doing this. I did get new neighbors but they arent into cb that I know of.?????
Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Not real clear what exactly the gitch is but if all three models are suddenly doing the same thing I'd suspect the issue is the transmitter not receivers.

Here are some suggestions for troubleshooting AM/FM glitches:
Make sure both your transmitter and receiver batts are fully charged
Make sure your radio antanna is fully extended and not sloppy or loose
Always turn on radio before receiver, and turn receiver off before radio
Try a different channel or crystal
Twist /coil wires in the vehicle where possible to keep them from running parallell to each other: don't allow servo wires to cross antanna leads
Unplug items one at a time until glitching stops - servos or transponders may go bad

Take the cars to another location like an open field. If they all work fine there then the interference is definitely environmental at your home.

I've heard of lots of things other than CB's interfering with RC radios like low-hanging power lines, cordless land-line phones using 900-2.4ghx spectrum, even wireless routers.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

thanks ill try that, i just got a new n wireless router too, ill check that also
Old 10-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I upgraded from AM to FM to see if that would stop the AM glitching and run aways I was having in my backyard. I have a utility easement on two edges of my yard with overhead 10kva powerlines. The change to FM immediately stopped any glitching. I've never had another one. Unless the powerlines are diff, guessing they are not part of the prob.

I've seen weaving the wires make a diff too, thats worth a try, but the sudden onset makes me guess its a component prob. You might try removing and re-seating the crystals as well, they sometimes work loose and cause probs.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the help, I unplugged my router and that seemed to take care of the problem, untill I walked clase to the front door, and just a little glitch. Asked the neighbor if she had a wireless router too and she said yes. There are 4 of us right in a row that has wireless routers and 2 including mine are the expensive high powered ones. Plugged them back in and problem came back. I have decided though, since im serious about racing to just go with a good 2.4 setup, deciding beteween dx3s and m11. Airtronics is my all time fav but i like the idea of telemetry for my nitro stuff.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Lord

Have never heard of a router(s) causing a glitch, but a 1st time for everything I guess. There are 2 of us together here, me and my neighbor, with router setups, but I've never had any probs and do most of my bashing either in the back yard in the cul de sac in front of the house and run FM. Both of us use Linksys wireless G routers, just out of curiosity, what are you using?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

A new belkin wireless n+ on a unsecured network....wonder if the not turning security on has anything to do with it......funny thing is when i was showing off my mantis at my friends house she has a linksys g+ router and no glitching. Weird!!! Untill now I never heard of a router doing that. I havent had a problem since though if I unplug the router before i run.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Lord

There's little doubt you've ID'ed the source of your glitching. I don't know if the security bit would make any diff, I do run mine secured - you can't even tell its is on sitting at the curb checking for WiFi hot spots. I had to show my neighbor I could piggyback her connection before she let me turn her security on.

This is good to know though in case I run into glicthes at someone else's house all of a sudden.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Glad you found the issue Soundstream!

I run wireless-G also with no problem, but the N is a little more powerful and I assume has a longer wavelength since it's signal carries farther. I seriously doubt that security settings would help.