Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Help - Hitec Servos Incompatible with KO Prop EX-5UR? >

Help - Hitec Servos Incompatible with KO Prop EX-5UR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Hitec Servos Incompatible with KO Prop EX-5UR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Help - Hitec Servos Incompatible with KO Prop EX-5UR?

I'm going nuts. I had a couple HS-625MG NEW Hitec servos sitting around, and decided to throw one in a my buggy until I get something better. I use the KO Propo EX5-UR 2.4ghz radio, and the KR407S receivers.

I mounted it all up, everything looked ok...but when I started it up, the servo hummed like crazy, and just generally misbehaved. The largest issue is that it won't center. It's as if it there was serious resistance keeping it from centering...ok...so I:

- Took apart the servo saver, no binding, no issues
- Swapped out the servo with the other (new) servo, same behavior in both servos...hmm....
- Swapped back in the el-cheapo Spektrum servo, worked great, and pushed the wheels around better, with about 1/3 the torque.

Then the kicker, I put the Hitec servo in an old Jato which has a normal AM Traxas radio system...works perfect. No humming, no twitching, instant response, basically exactly what it's supposed to do.

Then I thought, maybe just that receiver is defective, so I put it in my SC10 which has the same KO Propo KR407S reciever...problems returned! Similar twitchy behavior, humming, etc. Even with no horn on it, and absolutely no resistance.

HELP! Is there just some sort of incompatibility here? I see no adjustments that I can make on the radio or receiver, I've read posts about frame rate but I've re-read the manual and I don't see how it can be adjusted...
Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

its probably just a setting that you missed. i have a 3pk and when i run it in hrs mode analog servos do exactly what you mentioned. hrs will only work with digital servos so i switched the radio into ppm mode and my problem was solved. check the manual again.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

will do, although I'm concerned that there isn't a setting to turn it off. I'm confirming with KO support but their first response was:

"Most hitec analog servos will not work. This is a high response system that requires digital servos."

:| I need to be able to run analog servos due to some box stock rules...
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey,
I've got the same issue with my Futaba S3003 servos and my EX-5UR. If you turn the steering rate down on the TX this will stop the 'buzzing', but will mean that the steering isn't as responsive. I'm pretty sure this is the only way around it, but please post up if there is any other way.

I guess there is a reason why the EX-5UR is so cheap, KO makes their money back on the sales of digital servos...

It states on the KO website under the EX-5UR "* Ultra High Speed Response requires the use of genuine KO products and digital servos."...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs down

It did not state this on the web site when I purchased the unit, or made this post, see screencap from 9/15/09.

I think this may be the result of me, and other customers sending in complaints. I think they did a very poor job of communicating this "feature", and I explained this to their support. There was no response, which I felt was pretty unprofessional. I guess them changing the web site was the response.

Although now I'm stuck with a radio that is actually pretty good, but just doesn't meet my purposes at all. And as a consumer, there was almost no way for me to acquire this information prior to purchase. The web site had nothing, the mag review had nothing, the box had nothing. The manual had a hint to "check compatible servos on kopropo.co.jp" in very small print on the front, but when you click English on the japan site it pops you back into the US site, which says nothing.

I am unlikely to purchase $200-300 in digital servos to make a $189 radio work properly.
Attached Thumbnails Help - Hitec Servos Incompatible with KO Prop EX-5UR?-kowebcap1.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Go easy on me, I know I'm gonna get flamed but you should know and I'm just trying to help out here.

aray-
Ultra Response systems require the use of digital servos due to the faster response rate and being a digital system. Page one states "be sure to use products compatible with 'Ultra High Speed Response'."

Our servos are listed on our website (KO America & KO Japan) with logos of the response rates that we offer. Ultra is listed on every current servo listed.

In the manual (page 2, second set of warnings) we state to only use genuine KO products and we cannot be held responsible for problems encountered when using with other manufacture's products.

I have stated several times on this forum that we only recommend using digital servos with this system. Some people have posted that they have used analog servos with no problems and this may be true, but I still don't recommend it.

I did add the info about the use of this system with digital servos because some do not read the instructions prior to use.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Hi, I have no intention of flaming, but do I do disagree on some points. Which I think is ok in this world. I do appreciate your response.

Here are my opinions:

"Ultra High Response" - it appears you may have a detailed understanding of what it is and it's limitations, but I don't find these limitations easy to access as a consumer. For example, I clicked around on the site and couldn't find an explanation of what it was, or what the limitations would be. Yes, the servo page has logos for these various systems, but it also lacks explanations of what they are. I may just be missing things while clicking around, but I still can't find it. I also wouldn't be looking at the servo page when purchasing a transmitter.

Warning on first page - The warning on the first page directs me to kopropo.co.jp, click english, redirects back to KO America, and there is no info.

Statement on page 2 - "Use a genuine KO transmitter, receiver, servo, speed controller, and optional parts. We can not be responsible for problems encountered when using other maker's products". That statement is fair and general warranty language, but I don't interpret that the way you do.

If I did, and this was the warning I should have heeded that things were incompatible, that statement is general enough to say that this unit is also incompatible with ~90%+ of the brushless speed control market, and ~90+% of the servo market. For example -- Mamba Max, Tekin, Excellorin, etc. customers can not use KO Propo products. I doubt that's what the author of that legal-eze page intends, it's more likely to protect against bad warranty claims caused by other vendors products. I imagine that's pretty standard.

My local hobby shop employees were also not aware of these limitations.

So yes - I did read the instructions, but no, I would argue there is no reasonable way for me to know that I should have either not purchased or returned this unit since it isn't fit for my purposes.

I think you took a step in the right direction by putting it clearly on the web site. This information needs to be clear to consumers so they can make educated decisions. I liked the KO Propo feel, and if I had known this, I probably would have purchased a more upmarket model with analog support.

At the end of the day -> I've got about 6 hours of troubleshooting and $190 spent for a product that just doesn't work for me. It is what it is. I'm writing it off and moving on. Not a big deal in the spectrum of things, I'll live.