Wiki Posts
Search

DIY Power Supplys

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default DIY Power Supplys

Hey guys I was searching around the net on making your own PSU. Now I have here a Xbox Psu that its OutPut is 150watts the 12v rail is @12.1A and the 5v is @ 1A ...... What do you guys think? It will work? Also inside was 3 black, 3 yellow, 1 red, and 1 blue wires. Im thinking that I gotta put a 10 watt resistor between the red n blue wires? And I should be good for my 2s lipos under 5000 mah?

I also have one that is 203 watts 12v @ 16.1A
Old 09-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by killatoyota4569
Hey guys I was searching around the net on making your own PSU. Now I have here a Xbox Psu that its OutPut is 150watts the 12v rail is @12.1A and the 5v is @ 1A ...... What do you guys think? It will work? Also inside was 3 black, 3 yellow, 1 red, and 1 blue wires. Im thinking that I gotta put a 10 watt resistor between the red n blue wires? And I should be good for my 2s lipos under 5000 mah?

I also have one that is 203 watts 12v @ 16.1A
Do not try this.......!!!!!!

Lipo's require smart charging... constant amperage and constant voltage charging.. with the proper voltage cutoff...

DON'T
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer
Do not try this.......!!!!!!

Lipo's require smart charging... constant amperage and constant voltage charging.. with the proper voltage cutoff...

DON'T
I think he means to power the charger with.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Why go through all the BS to build one? Just buy one and be done. While you're trying to find a way to power your chager I'm turning laps figuring out how to kick your a$$. That's just my $.02 for all you MIT grads.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have seen t done real cleanly out of a PC power supply it had female banna plugs dremmeled into and every thing I can't remember what site I say it on though
Old 09-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812
Why go through all the BS to build one? Just buy one and be done. While you're trying to find a way to power your chager I'm turning laps figuring out how to kick your a$$. That's just my $.02 for all you MIT grads.
free power supply vs spending money on one maybe?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb ATX Desk top power supply - converted rc charger power supply

This is what I was shown by an engineering frind of mine .
And you probaly have one at home right now .
If not , you can build this one for about 20 to 25 dollars .
Dual 12 volt 20 amp rails , 5 volt ,7 volt , can be configured 17 volt and 19 volt with the combined amperage from the 5 volt 12 volt rails , or the 12 and 7 volt rails .
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply
Old 09-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Here is something from my starting of this conversion .
It is STUPID SIMPLE to complete .
Keep you money in your pocket , educated your self .
Greg
Attached Thumbnails DIY Power Supplys-hpim1690.jpg   DIY Power Supplys-hpim1691.jpg   DIY Power Supplys-hpim1692.jpg  
Old 09-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

You guys are all wrong.

I have a xbox 360 power supply and IT DOES WORK!!!

I dont know if it has enough power, but It did work and charge my battery. There was 3 yellow wires, and 3 black wires, thats the power and the ground. then you have red and blue, just connect them together, and BAMN!!! there you go you have a power supply,. I will make pics to show you guys it works.

I just need more info on the amps, and the power one charger needs. thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

The power supply you are refering to has the output written on the adapter .
The current draw of your xbox is about 1000 milli-amp.
I am sure if you over load it , it will get hot .
There should be a warning written on the power supply about overload , heat and the possibility of a fire risk .
I explained this to my 5 year old , there is a snake in the wall behind that plate .
Given the chance it will bite you .
He learned the hard way .
Old 09-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The power a charger needs depends on what you are charging and at what amps. I can charge a 1s lipo at 5 amps and it only draws about 2 amps from the supply (my power supply has adjustable voltage, volt and amp meters). 4 cell NiMH at 5 amps draws about 5 amps. 6 cell at 5 amps draws about 6 amps. A 2s 300mah pack at .3 amps doesn't even move the meter
Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by msbeckysboy
The power supply you are refering to has the output written on the adapter .
The current draw of your xbox is about 1000 milli-amp.
I am sure if you over load it , it will get hot .
There should be a warning written on the power supply about overload , heat and the possibility of a fire risk .
I explained this to my 5 year old , there is a snake in the wall behind that plate .
Given the chance it will bite you .
He learned the hard way .
Don't mean to laugh but that is funny.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

The real funny of that snake bite was this .
For about two weeks he could not sleep or sit still .
I was wondering if the boy needed some ritlen or something .
He has a pace maker , and once a month by telephone , we have a machine the heart center checks it for beats .
It had an abnormaly high rate of beats .
The shock caused the pace maker to reset it,s self . And now it was at a rythmn of a sprinters pace .
It was reset by the center and life went on .
Needless to say , he tells everybody about that snake in the wall .
And his pace maker .
And his heart beeping real fast
Greg
Old 09-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by msbeckysboy
This is what I was shown by an engineering frind of mine .
And you probaly have one at home right now .
If not , you can build this one for about 20 to 25 dollars .
Dual 12 volt 20 amp rails , 5 volt ,7 volt , can be configured 17 volt and 19 volt with the combined amperage from the 5 volt 12 volt rails , or the 12 and 7 volt rails .
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply
Based on this post, I just finished doing this today with a power supply I had at home out of a computer in a closet collecting dust. It works, and is dead simple to do! An absolutely great way to save money rather than going out and buying a power supply from Radio Shack or somewhere else (that will set you back more money, for sure).

Since I didn't need all the various combination of voltages and was fine with the power supply being off if there was no load on it (e.g. a charger or some other device hooked up to it), I did what the guy did in the embedded video at the page above. I didn't put any fancy "posts" on the PS, didn't incorporate another switch or LED (the existing switch will work fine), etc. The only things coming out of the back of the case are four black wires (ground), four red wires (5v), and four yellow wires (12v). Each same-color grouping of four is then soldered to one alligator clip (so three clips in total).

Because of this approach, I had to do zero modifications to the power supply case at all, and I just used the various gear I already had lying around. So, in total, $0 spent. That's a price I can get behind (and perhaps more important, the Wife Acceptance Factor is very very high ).
Old 09-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yeah I might have to try this build. The power supply I have used for the last 20 years won't work with some new chargers, since it puts out a tic over 15 volts. Plus I have another PS that drops below 11 at higher charge rates. All my old chargers never cared but some of the new ones just start beeping errors at you at those voltages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.