R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Lipo Charger VS. Lipo/Life Charger

Good morning guys,

I am currently in the market for a new charger. I have been reviewing the top brands already Venom, ICE, Orion, Hyperion etc. Now I really don't see the need to to have a charger that does NiMh and NiCd. As I feel NiCd is if not already extinct is going to be. And I only have one NiMh pack. So finding a charger that does these isn't really a concern. Now some of them charge Life batteries. Is anyone using these? Or is it even worth having a charger with a Life setting? It looks appeeling not having to charge Life packs in a lipo sack and all. But I was just curious if I should keep it in mind or not. One more thing is it worth it to find a charger with a built in balancer? I am not a hard-core racer I don't need the best of the best. I mean my last charger was a Black Wido peak charger. Any help is always appericiated. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

yes, you want balancing

also lots of charger support lfe they just call it A123
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
yes, you want balancing

also lots of charger support lfe they just call it A123

I am sorry I should have worded better. I know I need a balancer,I wanted to see if its worth it to find a balancer/charger in one unit. As apose to having to plug a balancer into the bottom of the charger. Which I am pretty sure that is how most balancers work.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You can get stand alone balancers that will balance and let you charge and balance. Its so much easier to just get a balancing charger. No extra wiring andjust 1 piece of equip.

I'm not aware that you're going to find a charger that lets you pick and choose what chemistries you want to pay for. Most chargers are going to offer NiCd, NiMH, Lipo, LiFe (a123), Li-ion, and lead acid. They are just made that way as all encompassing chargers.

The only chargers I'm aware of that do only lipo are meant for special purposes like heli lipos. They are intended for smaller lipos (less than 1000mah). Example of this is the Eflite lipo charger - 0.65amp, fixed rate with no options at all, period. HC offers a few like that with limited capabilities.

Good charger will also have a storage mode and usually a fast lipo model so you can cut charge time to minimum and charge your lipos to something less than 100% if you're not going to be using it soon.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
You can get stand alone balancers that will balance and let you charge and balance. Its so much easier to just get a balancing charger. No extra wiring andjust 1 piece of equip.

I'm not aware that you're going to find a charger that lets you pick and choose what chemistries you want to pay for. Most chargers are going to offer NiCd, NiMH, Lipo, LiFe (a123), Li-ion, and lead acid. They are just made that way as all encompassing chargers.

The only chargers I'm aware of that do only lipo are meant for special purposes like heli lipos. They are intended for smaller lipos (less than 1000mah). Example of this is the Eflite lipo charger - 0.65amp, fixed rate with no options at all, period. HC offers a few like that with limited capabilities.

Good charger will also have a storage mode and usually a fast lipo model so you can cut charge time to minimum and charge your lipos to something less than 100% if you're not going to be using it soon.

Oh I am not by any means looking for a charger that only does LiPo's. I was just wondering if the charger says it will charge Life(A123). It is a selling point to buy that charger. I was asking if anyone is using A123 packs and are they worth the money?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrekito View Post
Oh I am not by any means looking for a charger that only does LiPo's. I was just wondering if the charger says it will charge Life(A123). It is a selling point to buy that charger. I was asking if anyone is using A123 packs and are they worth the money?
LiFe packs are starting to come out more buy a charger that will do these. Go with the Hyperion chargers it will do everything you need.
Everything you need for a brushless.........Hyperion, Tekin and RC Monster.........we are stocking all of the best!!!!!!!
jnfweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Back when you could still get the genuine a123s in the 36v Dewalt power pacs, they were a heck of a deal, thats why I got them. My 5S1Ps cost about $55 and my 6S1ps about $60 since I was getting cells at about $10/cell. With the weight diff and how big a123s are though, I wouldn't buy them again. Dewalt has downgraded the cells in the 36v power packs after realizing how over engineered they were for the application.

I don't see a LiFe charge capability as a big selling point. They do offer some benefits though - you can charge them at high charge rates - I do mine at 10amps and they're charged in about 20min. They are overdischarge sensitive like lipos are - I turn lvc off when I run them and stop when I see them starting to slow. They are supposed to be safer, not that I've ever had a lipo safety related issue. Mine are the orig 2300mah cells and are big, the newer clls are smaller, have about half the mah and weigh less.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links