Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100 or 200 amp rating??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 100 or 200 amp rating??

ok, so im looking for lipo's, as mentioned in another thread. im running a CC monster mamba 2200kv set up in emaxx. according to CC the amp rating for this motor is 120. i have found some good SPC packs at a decent price that everybody says are good packs; they are 3S 5000mah 20C packs. so the amperage for those would be 100amps. correct? now, if i am running two 3S packs in series, i know the voltage doubles, but would the amperage double as well? so would it be 200 as opposed to 100?

i ask this because i have been told that the amperage of the pack is the amps that it can safely put out without over heating. if i am drawing 120amps with this set up, i dont want to overheat any packs.

thanks for any help!! hope i was clear. im sure this is an easy question for anyone with experience.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

No, in series the amperage capability would not double. Only voltage doubles.
Parallel would double the amps available, at the same voltage. You either get one or the other doubling, but not both, with 2 packs.

Now whether it would be OK in your setup I do not know.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

no it will not be OK for your setup... get somthing with 150amp rating or better...