Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Charging at 1A vs 2A vs 4A >

Charging at 1A vs 2A vs 4A

Charging at 1A vs 2A vs 4A

Old 06-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)
Default Charging at 1A vs 2A vs 4A

What is the difference and how do you know the recommended charge rate to use for your particular battery?

In case it matters I am using:

1) Vision Peak 2 Charger
2) 2 X 3600 mAh 7.2V 6 Cell Batteries (for starter box)
3) 1 X 1400 mAh 6V unknown cell battery (for receiver)
Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
What is the difference and how do you know the recommended charge rate to use for your particular battery?

In case it matters I am using:

1) Vision Peak 2 Charger
2) 2 X 3600 mAh 7.2V 6 Cell Batteries (for starter box)
3) 1 X 1400 mAh 6V unknown cell battery (for receiver)
for a starter box i dont think it will matter too much, some people say the safe way is to charger a 3000 battery at 3 amps, 4000 at 4 amps and on. i believe the vision 2 only goes to 4 amps so throw it at that. i used to charge a 3300 pack on my ice at 6 amps, no danger there.

it would be nice to know what type of receiver pack you have.

Which nimh and nicd the lower amp you charge at the slower it will take to charge fully but you will have a longer runtime.
If you charge at a higher amp you will get more rip on the throttle and slightly less runtime.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Thanks for the response. My receiver pack is the one that came with the Losi 8ight 2.0 Buggy RTR.

It's part number is LOSB9951. I took a closer look at it and it appears to have 5 Cells.

I charged one of the two starter box batteries at 1A and the other at 4A. The 4A battery got noticeably hotter than the 1A battery. Without knowing the difference for sure, I am charging the receiver battery at 1A.

[EDIT
The 4A battery also charged significantly faster.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

With rx NiMh batts its typical to charge them at either 0.5 or 1amps with 1 being a fast charge rate. They will last longer being slow charged.

The effect of charge rate has is to increase batts ability to dump current as its charged at higher and higher rates. Racers will charge at high rates since they want asmuch current as they can get. They also used their pacs up in short order too.

As you've noted, the cells get hotter at the higher rates. WHat you want form s starter box batt is a long duration or run time. I'd stick with lower rates, I'd try 2amps and see how that goes just to cut the charge time down. The pacs shoudn't be getting so hot you can't hold them - that sign rate is too high.