R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Partial Lipo charging (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/307601-partial-lipo-charging.html)

active_sport 06-26-2009 06:02 PM

Partial Lipo charging

If balance charging, does it negativly efffect your battery if you stop the charging process?

Example:

Charging battery after heat race and need battery for main. It has not compltly finished charging, SO you need it now, can I pull it off the charger?

nutz4rcyktw 06-26-2009 06:45 PM

Shouldn't hurt anything. I did this three times last week because due to small crowd there wasn't enough time between heats to finish charges. It was the same lipo each time and ran fine at end of night. I charged it today with balancer and it seemed to come up without any issues.

active_sport 06-26-2009 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw (Post 5990464)
Shouldn't hurt anything. I did this three times last week because due to small crowd there wasn't enough time between heats to finish charges. It was the same lipo each time and ran fine at end of night. I charged it today with balancer and it seemed to come up without any issues.

Did you charge @ track w/balance each time as well?

So far I have only balance charged my new packs. My charger has an option to fast charge as well. I have not used that option yet.

I am very new to LiPO.

Raydee 06-27-2009 08:26 AM

I actually only charge my cells to 95% most of the time anyway. I was told by the manufacturer that the cells will last longer that way and charge faster. The last 5% takes pretty long to charge. As long as you are balance charging them you should be in good shape.

Duster_360 06-27-2009 08:27 AM

Bakance charging is dynamic - cells may not be balanced when you interrupt a charge like that, but they should be pretty close so I don't see anything negative from doing it.

Fast charge mode for a lipo just eliminates the CV part of the charge sequence (charges at constant current (1C or etc) followed by the constant voltage part, CC/CV as its labeled). The CC part puts about 90% of the charge in and takes the smaller amount of time, maybe 20min depending on lipo capacity and charge rate, 1C or 2C, etc. You should try it and see if you have enough time for it to finish.

active_sport 06-27-2009 08:36 AM

I won't be racing anytime soon, just curious. I did have to interupt charging on a pack yesterday and was wondering if that would have negative results. I am happy to hear that it sohouldn't. Thanx guys for the help!!!

NEVADAGARY 06-27-2009 11:16 AM

I just bought two of the Hyeprion charge/balance cables and adapted them to my Accucel balance port and they work MAHVELOUS DARLING!:blush::nod: