Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Radio Shack Digital Soldering station ?? >

Radio Shack Digital Soldering station ??

Radio Shack Digital Soldering station ??

Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Questions?? Radio Shack Digital Soldering station ??

I was curious, its time to replace my old 50W Weller, and seen this when buying some Solder. Anyone use this or know anything of it? http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3132686
Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have a cheap $8 soldering kit from radioshack and it works fine. Based on the reviews, the only con of that station seems to be that it doesn't come with tips. Seems good
Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

at that price, just buy a hakko and call it a day? With that being said, I have the cheaper 40w Radio shack soldering station($20) and it does everything I need it to.

--pakk
Old 06-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They are both 60watts, the gripe I'm seeing in their reviews is about tips. Also looks like cord between iron and power supply is shorter than the Hakko.
Presets are a so what since its set it once and just use it - don't see need for changing.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

PM sent!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

As stupid as this sounds. I actually had a Radio Shack solder gun come "un-soldered" recently. I was using it an then it all of a sudden came apart, and the front of the gun fell off, and fell towrad my legs (I was wearing shorts). Fortunatly I moved fast enough and didn't get burnt. I looked at the end and sure enough it came unslodered. I returned it and the geek behind the counter could not believe it. It was a gun not an iron, but that was enough for me. I won't buy another "tool" from radio shack again.......
Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by active_sport
As stupid as this sounds. I actually had a Radio Shack solder gun come "un-soldered" recently. I was using it an then it all of a sudden came apart, and the front of the gun fell off, and fell towrad my legs (I was wearing shorts). Fortunatly I moved fast enough and didn't get burnt. I looked at the end and sure enough it came unslodered. I returned it and the geek behind the counter could not believe it. It was a gun not an iron, but that was enough for me. I won't buy another "tool" from radio shack again.......
Agreed, while I didn't have an experience quite like that, I DID try one of RS's $80 soldering stations, & I was NOT impressed. Didn't hold its heat very well, there was little to NO choice of heating elements or tips, & mine also had sensor problems within 3 months of getting it(couldn't sense the temperature, so it wasn't heating up properly). The Hakko 936 is a MUCH better station for the same price(in fact, it's what I use at work too, in large part because of the wide variety of tips available for it, VERY handy for what we work on). And I keep mine running for near 8 hours per day, EVERY day, & I've been using my current one for over a year & a half, only things that's needed replacing have been tips & solder sponges....
Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

oops, wrong thread! But while I'm here, if you're going to spend that kind of money just go for the Hakko and be done with it.

Last edited by Dave H; 06-25-2009 at 07:11 PM.