Search

17.5 bl motor specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 17.5 bl motor specs

Hey all.

Can someone help me regarding 17.5 brushless motor specs and performance. Over here in New Zealand it looks like we will be adding 17.5 bl motors to our pro-stock (27t) class. Basicly I'm after some sugguestions as to what anyone thinks are the best ones to use. I'll be using an LRP sxx with it. At the moment looking towards the Lrp stock spec, trinity pulse or Speed passion.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:29 AM
Tech Master

Heya,
I'm fom NZ too
There isn't a lot of choice down here for brushless gear, as i'm sure you know!
I'm running 13.5 this year and have a Novak SS which is surprisingly good. I'm not sure about their 17.5 counterpart though.
I'd talk to the likes of Speedi in Ak and see what he stocks. It's always good to get from NZ with electronics if you can, as if you get from OS and have issues, it's a drama to send back for warranty repairs!
I've got Tekin esc's, so will probably go with a Tekin motor for my next one, but for no other reason than their ESC's are solid as hell, and i'm hoping the motors are of the same standard.
On paper, the LRP Stock Spec motors look pretty flash
Old 06-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have been using a Tekin 17.5 in my SC10 and it is a good solid motor that dissipates heat very well. The LRP SS motors are very good as well and I have used three different ones over the last couple of years but the only one that I have now is a 10.5 and it rips.

The brands that you listed are all top notch manufacturers of BL motors and I would use any of them without a second thought.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Have run Novak, Orion, Hacker and Trinity Duo motors in 17.5. Definitely consider the Trinity Duo to be the best "open design" motor. The Hacker is best "closed design".
Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Have run Novak, Orion, Hacker and Trinity Duo motors in 17.5. Definitely consider the Trinity Duo to be the best "open design" motor. The Hacker is best "closed design".

Thanks for that advice. Could you please explain the difference between "open and closed design".

Thanks again
Old 06-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bumpy

Thanks for that advice. Could you please explain the difference between "open and closed design".

Thanks again
The Duo is "open" (vented) in its design for cooling. The Hacker is "closed" to keep dirt out of the works. The Duo usually needs to be taken apart for a cleaning after 2-3 races (bearings and inside the can). The Hacker would be my choice for off-road or really dirty on-road tracks.

Bill
Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Ah I see. Thanks for that Still Bill. Is there any info around for performance figures for the trinity bl motors. Cant find it anywhere.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bumpy
Ah I see. Thanks for that Still Bill. Is there any info around for performance figures for the trinity bl motors. Cant find it anywhere.
Look at the list of ROAR approved motors for one rating spec related to various stock motors. Go to www.roarracing.com