Lipo Questions

Old 06-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the official link to the rules is here : http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

it's a fun class and the cars run at speeds my old car can actually handle

I race at MSI Raceway in Roseville. Racing is Wednesday and Friday starting at 7pm. Classes are the afforementioned VTA, Touring car (6 cell/2s LiPo w/ 13.5 or 19T motor on rubber tires), 1/12 scale, and various oval classes (novice, mod truck and 4cell NASCAR).

Feel free to PM me if you want to know any more - happy to help!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
the official link to the rules is here : http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

it's a fun class and the cars run at speeds my old car can actually handle

I race at MSI Raceway in Roseville. Racing is Wednesday and Friday starting at 7pm. Classes are the afforementioned VTA, Touring car (6 cell/2s LiPo w/ 13.5 or 19T motor on rubber tires), 1/12 scale, and various oval classes (novice, mod truck and 4cell NASCAR).

Feel free to PM me if you want to know any more - happy to help!
I didn't know that track was there. I just had back surgery so once I am on the mend I will get my RS4 pro set up to run the VTA class it sound like fun. How many cars end up in the VTA class on a given night? Is it a large class?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Most nights it is running 10-14 cars. Always nice to get new racers hooked BTW, Wednesday nights is starting another points series in 2-3 weeks. You'll know me by the Year One camaro I drive - white with Orange Stripes and black trim.

I'm going to guess the springs for your car would be white rear with yellow on the front would be a good place to start (and providing you are still using the original RS4 springs). Lower weight oil - like 40 or so with 2 or 3 hole pistons - it's been forever since I've set one up though!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

I am running a set of Blue Star Aluminum threaded shock made for the Nitro RS4.

It will be a while before I can make it out there. I'm on a lot of medicine that prvents me from driving...

Are there any rules/limits on custom or aftermarket parts in that class? Also is there any restrictions on ESCs also just wnated to verify, you can run 2s lipo correct. Can you run brushless motors, if so what is limit?

When does the fall/winter points season get under way?

Thanx!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Hey active, more Michigan racing info can be found at:

http://www.rcracingextreme.com
Old 06-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Thirty,

Do they run 6 or 4 cel NiMh? What is a majority of the guys running, lipo or Nimh. Bruched or Brushless. If a brushed setup is fairly competative, I would love to run my old "Stock" setup, just need to know what the cell config is for NiMh.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

we use the national rules for power options

4 cell/27T brushed
4 cell/17.5 brushless
2s LiPo/21.5 brushless

from experience (having run it for 5 weeks), the 27T option isn't as competitive as the other two. There are no restrictions on ESC's, and noone should have any complaints about any custom parts on your car. I'm personally curious to see how that aluminum top deck of yours works - I remember my RS4's used to have pretty bad chassis sag in the middle which made setting ride height troublesome.

Fall points will probably start a couple weeks after this series runs out about 10-12 weeks from now I would guess
Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

we use the national rules for power options

4 cell/27T brushed
4 cell/17.5 brushless
2s LiPo/21.5 brushless

from experience (having run it for 5 weeks), the 27T option isn't as competitive as the other two. There are no restrictions on ESC's, and noone should have any complaints about any custom parts on your car. I'm personally curious to see how that aluminum top deck of yours works - I remember my RS4's used to have pretty bad chassis sag in the middle which made setting ride height troublesome.

Fall points will probably start a couple weeks after this series runs out about 10-12 weeks from now I would guess
The only issue with the aluminum top deck is it is a bit heavy, however, if I remember correctly, I had to add weight to the RS4 to run spec class as it was always too light... This puts the weight up higher, Never a good thing....... I am going to try and redesign/lighten the upper deck and maintain stifness. Also make it look nice. he first one functions well, but looks like my 7 year old made it......

I will try the brushed setup at first and see how it does, may have to make switch to brushless if I aqm getting dusted....Hopefully I will be able to run the fall season in full, physical condition permitting.

Thanx for all of the infor, I look forward to getting back into racing, and the VTA class is right up my alley. I will most likely run the HPI Camaro body as I am a Chevy guy....

Later.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by active_sport
The only issue with the aluminum top deck is it is a bit heavy, however, if I remember correctly, I had to add weight to the RS4 to run spec class as it was always too light...
The weight for the VTA class is lower than the other classes - 1450 grams

When I ran 4 cell/27T I came in at 1458 without adding any weight whatsoever (using a 15g house transponder).

When you get topdeck 2.0 finished, lets see some pictures

I've always been a Trans Am guy - Camaro is close enough, but I may just have to order that 1977 Trans Am body I saw posted in the main USVTA thread - my first car was a 1978 TA
Old 06-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

The weight for the VTA class is lower than the other classes - 1450 grams

When I ran 4 cell/27T I came in at 1458 without adding any weight whatsoever (using a 15g house transponder).

When you get topdeck 2.0 finished, lets see some pictures

I've always been a Trans Am guy - Camaro is close enough, but I may just have to order that 1977 Trans Am body I saw posted in the main USVTA thread - my first car was a 1978 TA

My first car was an 82 Firebird (although it had the 2.5L Iron Duke..) It was still a bird.....
Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

I will start a new thread in the on-road section. I will post pics of the current upper deck and the new deck as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Here is link to the thread on the upper deck. Keep in mind the first attempt was made in about 15 min out of scrap aluminum....
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...pper-deck.html

Last edited by active_sport; 06-23-2009 at 08:15 PM.