Starter Box Battery and Charger Questions >

Starter Box Battery and Charger Questions

Starter Box Battery and Charger Questions

Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)
Default Starter Box Battery and Charger Questions

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR Buggy. It comes with a starter box that needs to be powered by two 6-Cell 3600mAh 7.2V batteries.

The recommended Losi product is LOSB9900, but it is also ~$45 plus shipping for one.

There seem to be identical replacements on ebay for much less:

here for $37 shipped for two.

here for ~$63 shipped for two.

Now clearly these aren't apples to apples, but what am I giving up going from one to the other to the next?

I aam also looking at the Vision Peak 2 charger to charge the batteries. Will this also be able to charge the receiver battery in the Losi?

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

those batteries will do just fine, and that charger will charge your receiver pack
Old 06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Just about any nimh pack will work. The higher the MAH the longer they will run. Personally I would go with a 4s lipo but it is more expensive and does require a special charger. I would get a charger that will charge 2 packs at the same time or you need 2 chargers. The super brain 977 works great for this.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Frank L
Just about any nimh pack will work. The higher the MAH the longer they will run. Personally I would go with a 4s lipo but it is more expensive and does require a special charger. I would get a charger that will charge 2 packs at the same time or you need 2 chargers. The super brain 977 works great for this.
Hmm. How many times will these two batteries allow me to use the starter box to start the car? If they are fully charged will they run out before the end of a racing day?

If not, I don't see why I need two chargers. Not trying to be difficult or question advice - more just trying to understand.

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
Hmm. How many times will these two batteries allow me to use the starter box to start the car? If they are fully charged will they run out before the end of a racing day?

If not, I don't see why I need two chargers. Not trying to be difficult or question advice - more just trying to understand.

Thanks a lot.
Anyone?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You should be able to get a full day out of them. I know my 4000 lipos last for the weekend as well as practic in the evenings.

If the engine is running and starting good you are alright.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

I would go with LIPO when you get a chance
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
I would go with LIPO when you get a chance
+1 on the 4s 2200 lipo. I have the losi one and it will last through at least 3 days of racing before I have to charge it again. a€nd it sounds like they are about the same price as 2 nimh packs.

Here are some suggestions.

Losi 4s

Protek

HT Batteries

AE 4s

And yes there are cheap ebay alternatives. But I like to stick with the name brand. Lipo is so much easier and it gives the box a lot more power you will be pleased. Plus the box is light almost like there are no batteries in there.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? EZ-start battery?

Could I just use two 7.2v 1500mah ez-start batteries for the starter Box? Or should I go with what the manufacturer recommended I kind of feel like Losi is just trying to get more of my Money. If I was not able to us the ez start batteries could I get some and just use the ez-start battery charger my Jato came with?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Sure.

But it's still best to get a lipo charger and a 1000mah 2s Rx pack and a 4s 5000mah for your starter box.

The stinky thing about Nihm is mine would fail from topping off my Rx pack before the main. Lipo's have no such problem. My starter box only needs charged once a year. But I have to remember to unplug my lipo or the battery dies overnight.

I like my Turnigy chargers as much as my Hyperions.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Rookie

So for the starter box what battery and charger should I use if I got a Lipo? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

just get into hobbyking.com and get yourself a lipo battery. they're so cheap its not even funny.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

For me personally, I use NiMH in my starter boxes because I have forgotten to unplug batteries and/or left the switch on at the end of the day. I have also seen a couple of swelled LiPo's in starter boxes where guys have had tuning issues and cranked on engines for way too long. I just feel more comfortable with NiMH and have not had issues with lack of power or running out at the end of the day. I use twin 7.2V 3200 mAh Venoms that I got off the clearance shelf at my LHS for cheap.

That being said, most people I see run LiPo with no problems. Just be absolutely certain that you unplug the LiPo at the end of the day and that you are careful with storing the battery, etc. If it overdischarges, it can become unstable. As long as you know that and pay attention to what you are doing, you should be able to safely run LiPo in your starter box.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

+1 on lipo. get either 2 7.2v packs, or a single 14.4v 4S. I use the 4S and love it, lasts several outings and has plenty of punch for the starter box motor.
Avoid no-name brands on Lipo though... I live in China, most Lipos are made here...and can tell you not all Lipo batteries are created equal. some are plain junk, and dangerous as well. hobbyking turnigy batteries are the best bang for the buck.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i have a 14.4 v turnigy lipo in my starter box and its really nice.. box is light, has lots of torque, starts the car on the first bump most of the time. i have to charge it once/month. much better than my old box with lead acid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.