Wiki Posts
Search

HT Starter Box Batt

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default HT Starter Box Batt

I got a box with a HT Lipo in it, I went to charge it with a Venom Lipo charger and it will only recognize that it is a 3S pack when it is a 4S pack. Any ideas?? Dead Cell? or did I let it get too low?? Do I dare try charging it at 3s?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

So what voltage does the Venom charger say it has, how low did you run it?

If its under 3v/cell, I would try to charge it as a NiMh at 0.5 - 1amp. Only charge it until the voltage is back up over 12v and maybe a little more. Stop charging and then try charging with proper 4S lipo settings. If you haven't damaged it, this will work. This technique has saved a lot of overdischarged lipos.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think it worked, it was at 12.1 v and I charged at .5 amp for about 10 min and when to charge as a lipo it saw the 4s again and I am charging it right now. Hopefully this will have it.

Thanks

Eman
Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Lord

You need to watch the batt for the next few cycles to be sure its not going to puff or otherwise go bad. Sounds like the overdischarge was not that severe though and I'm guessing it'll be ok.

Need to change the way you use it so you don't overdischarge it again - could be as simple as just checking voltage a few times while you're using it. Once you see what using it takes out of it, you'll have a better idea when its time for a charge. Remember, with lipo you can charge whenever you want to and that doesn't hurt anything.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

I agree, I have no one to blame but me. It is in a starter box and it can go forever between charges, I will just have to charge it on a regular basis. I think it will be fine, it was down to right at 12 v. so is want way over discharged
Old 06-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

I use two diff boxes myself and know how easy the batts are to forget about, so I can relate.

Glad you didn't lose it, they are more expensive than a gel cell.