Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Is KO Propo EX-1 Mars Still worth getting ? >

Is KO Propo EX-1 Mars Still worth getting ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is KO Propo EX-1 Mars Still worth getting ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Is KO Propo EX-1 Mars Still worth getting ?

KO Propo EX-1 Mars, is this controller still worth getting ?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Of course il probably get slammed for this, but i would go DX3R. This radio has the lowest latency available of any radio. Im not a touring car driver but it is packed with every feature id ever want. Only uses 4 bats, gets great batt life, is super light. Display is huge and not toyish looking like many of those txs. The screen on my 5yr old flip cell phone is bigger. And I guarantee no radio is easier to use. I just don't know how these other guys can compare with this new stuff. They look like they are stuck in the past when they release a new product.

lets face it, most guys running KO stuff run Spektrum modules.

DX3R is the fastest radio on the planet. Price is good too. Should find it for 280 or so.

I do like KO stuff servos, esc, etc. Even know guys who run with it. But the DX3R is the only radio to own.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

None of those new radios are within my budget.....

Aiming for 2nd hand or used radios instead...

Wondering if the EX1 Mars are still worth getting.....
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Initiate

I just got my hands on a spektrum DX2.0 for bout 110 used. should be able to find a DX3.0 for a little more used. What's your budget?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I still run a mars with fm crystals. This radio has all the features you would ever want or need for rc. I would definely get it over a Spetrum 2.0/3.0, the newer DX3R is a good radio however but like you said you are on a budget. You can usually get one with a receiver on ebay for around $50 or $60 w/o the drop down wheel extension. A Mars with a wheel drop down is going to be about $30 more dollars. If you have the time to wait and watch, I would look for a Mars R for around $100 typically. This version has the faster processor.

idbdoug
Old 05-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by idbdoug
I still run a mars with fm crystals. This radio has all the features you would ever want or need for rc. I would definely get it over a Spetrum 2.0/3.0, the newer DX3R is a good radio however but like you said you are on a budget. You can usually get one with a receiver on ebay for around $50 or $60 w/o the drop down wheel extension. A Mars with a wheel drop down is going to be about $30 more dollars. If you have the time to wait and watch, I would look for a Mars R for around $100 typically. This version has the faster processor.

idbdoug
Agreed, there's nothing wrong with the Mars, it's still one of the finest transmitters ever made(IMHO). I still have mine, & the only reason why I'm not still using it is because I want to keep it in good condition(I have no intention of selling it ever, but I want to keep the wear & tear to a minimum). Mine is now more for collector's value & as my backup to my EX-10 Helios(& if anything goes wrong with the Helios, I have no qualms about breaking out the Mars). If you can find one for a good price & like the feel of it, I'd suggest you jump on it......
Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default ...

which is better mars or sanwa m8 ?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Agreed, there's nothing wrong with the Mars, it's still one of the finest transmitters ever made(IMHO). I still have mine, & the only reason why I'm not still using it is because I want to keep it in good condition(I have no intention of selling it ever, but I want to keep the wear & tear to a minimum). Mine is now more for collector's value & as my backup to my EX-10 Helios(& if anything goes wrong with the Helios, I have no qualms about breaking out the Mars). If you can find one for a good price & like the feel of it, I'd suggest you jump on it......
+1
Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

If you can't find a mars r look at the Hitec CRX. Great radio just as fast as a
M8. I've seen these for about $50-$60 and spektrum capable. This is what I use as my back up radio. I refuse to sell mine also.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lil-bump
+1
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
My Mars R is working well after many years of weekly use and some races,nothing to complain about using crystals,as more people is getting Spektrum radios and modules,more frequencies become available.
I'm feeling perfectly safe driving a Pro10 (2S trackpower/ Novak7.5L) in huge 1/8 nitro tracks with an Fm system,i woudn't feel the difference in terms of fractions of a second latency as well as maximum range.
(one of the tracks i usually spend my week ends is Lostallo in Switzerland,one of the biggest tracks in the Planet)
Old 05-03-2009, 06:05 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

be hard to get rid of my m8 (tell my m11 that, never used in 2yrs as the 'backup' radio)...but the mars is a great radio. so what if its not new. i still see them. must be for a reason, same reason as the m8.

dx2.0, comparing a 2.0 to a mars or m8 is sadly....laughable. both of those 'seasoned' radios will go laps around that setup.

R
Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

So from reading all those posts up there I can conclude that both EX1-Mars and Sanwa M8 is still worth getting even if it has been outdated by newer versions ?

Is that right?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
So from reading all those posts up there I can conclude that both EX1-Mars and Sanwa M8 is still worth getting even if it has been outdated by newer versions ?

Is that right?
Yes, if it feels good in your hands, then I'd say go for it. The driver's comfort with it is more important than anything else nowadays, because the quality & features of the reputable brands is pretty equal to each other. You will most definitely NOT be wasting your money....
Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

i just got a ex-1 mars r + wheel extension , got my esavage traded to this radio with 2 rx .as wat ive read from the previous post i think i did the right thing.. i wanted to have a m8 or a 3pk, but i gues a ex-1 mars r is not so bad after all