Steering twitches!!! What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steering twitches!!! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Steering twitches!!! What to do?

Let me start by saying I am running a Traxxas Slash. I have a sidewinder 4600kv system in it running on 2s1p 20c 5000mah Lipo and 3s1p 20c 5000mah Lipo. From a dead stop if I give it full throttle the steering will twitch, sometimes pretty badly. Occasionally the throttle will sputter as well. When it originally was happening with the brushless I figured it was the 6 cell batteries I was using at that time. Now that I am on lipo and still having trouble I think the problem must be something else.

1 suggestion I was considering was getting a capacitor set up to plug into the receiver. Some people had suggested that it may be a receiver power issue and this capacitor:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXNRE0&P=K

should solve the problem. Other people suggested that I get a separate battery pack all together to run the receiver. Which if either do you recommend? If the battery pack is the way to go can you suggest one? Or maybe throw a link to one? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Also, if the the separate battery pack is the best option do I have to eliminate one of the esc wires?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you are not using a spectrum Radio you what you are getting is interference from the high frequency brusless system. Try routing the antenna farther from the speedo and the wires. Also try moving the receiver farther from the spedo.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

I do plan to get a new radio. This stock one just doesnt seem to be a very good quality. It's a little expensive though considering all the money I have spent lately so I may have to wait a little while
Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Where did you mount the Sidewinder? I've been running a Sidewinder/5700 on 2S with rest stock electronics and have not had any probs. My Sidewinder is mounted where the stock esc was located.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had such exact problem with my Novak GTB last time. To test simple, put the car on the stand. Press full throttle. You see the steering glitches slightly a bit. If you have a fan mounted on the motor. You notice it spins irrregulary.

After trying sometime the cap explodes. I contacted Novak for support. They had the issue fixed via replacement.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Where did you mount the Sidewinder? I've been running a Sidewinder/5700 on 2S with rest stock electronics and have not had any probs. My Sidewinder is mounted where the stock esc was located.
If you are facing the front of the vehicle it is mounted on the left side of the chasis toward the rear.

Originally Posted by Toh WL
I had such exact problem with my Novak GTB last time. To test simple, put the car on the stand. Press full throttle. You see the steering glitches slightly a bit. If you have a fan mounted on the motor. You notice it spins irrregulary.

After trying sometime the cap explodes. I contacted Novak for support. They had the issue fixed via replacement.
I am sorry maybe I am just reading your post wrong. What exactly was the problem in your case? the capcitor? I just didnt follow what you were saying. Sorry.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Lord

Your prob may be your Sidewinder is too close to the rx since Sidewinder is mounted on the same side. Take a piece of scap lexan or a plastic divider from a parts box and trim it and drill 2 holes so you can mount the Sidewinder in the middle rear of the chassis where the orig esc was mounted. My Sidewinder is mounted with the motor wires on the right side looking from the rear toward the front. Batt leads are on the left.

Feed motor wiring thru the shocktower/rear body mount. I zip tied the wiring in a couple of places to keep it bundled together. I've never had any glitches or probs, been trouble free.

I used that cap on my Emaxx, but that was to help lower EVX temps not solve glitching. It did drop temps, I was not having any glitching probs on that one either. It just plugged into an empty slot in the rx.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Your prob may be your Sidewinder is too close to the rx since Sidewinder is mounted on the same side.
I said if you are lookin at the truck from the front that I mounted it on the left. The OPPOSITE side from the rx. Maybe you got mixed up since you were talking about yours from the rear. Who knows. Either way mine is mounted on the complete opposite side from the rx and the servo and esc wires are routed as far from each other as possible.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Lord

Yeah, my bad, thought it was on the same side as rx. Obviously, you've got some other issue causing your probs.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im thinkin maybe some high frequency interference. How to fix it I am not quite sure though.