Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading Rustler Lots of Tech Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Upgrading Rustler Lots of Tech Questions

Well as the title says I have a bit of a project I am working on but need a few tech questions answered. I have a old rustler, it was my dads and im pretty sure he got it in the late 90's because it has a stock XL-1 on it. I have always just kind of used and abused it, taking it out in the neighborhood and just messing around. I want to overhaul it but I am kind of lost when it comes to the esc. I want to put an XL-5 on it but I would like to know a few things.

-How does the esc connect to the on/off switch?

(Only question left, all others answered)

Last edited by Rusty_187; 04-07-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Answered questions removed
Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

servo tape would work. You can mount the esc anywhere te wires will reach. I also use a strong zip-tie, that way it's easy to swap / reposition. The xl-5 probably comes with a tamiya for the battery and cheap bullets for the motor.

But I have to ask.... why upgrade to an xl-5? Are you getting one for free? If you're going to buy the esc, why not save a little and get a slash.... which comes with an xl-5... and a new motor.... I've seen used ones for $100.

Or you could pony up for an entry level brushless system like the novak havok for $150 which is programmable and could later be moved to a better car.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Well I want to do it with my Rustler. I love this car and it has been through a lot with me. Im spending a nice chunk of change on this overhaul (about $350) and am getting almost all stock parts replaced with alloy parts. And the combo I can get (XL-5 + Titan 550 12t) for 50 bucks brandnew.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rusty_187
Well I want to do it with my Rustler. I love this car and it has been through a lot with me. Im spending a nice chunk of change on this overhaul (about $350) and am getting almost all stock parts replaced with alloy parts. And the combo I can get (XL-5 + Titan 550 12t) for 50 bucks brandnew.
STOP!!!! you don't want to buy alloy parts!!! they will bend the first time you crash and your left with a worthless chuck of alloy, and they add wight, witch causes the motor to overheat
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by whitrzac
STOP!!!! you don't want to buy alloy parts!!! they will bend the first time you crash and your left with a worthless chuck of alloy, and they add wight, witch causes the motor to overheat
Ummm, the other rustler I had did just fine with almost all of the same parts. They were pretty tough for me, they had some pretty good scratches but none of them ever bent. And that truck went throuh hell, I wish I could show you a pic of the body...

And anyway, I found an answer to one of my questions on an old youtube video where someone happened to mount an XL-5 on the same RPM esc mount I am.

So the only question I have left is how does the esc connect to the on/off switch?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm pretty sure the XL-5 has a switch built into it's case, if that is what you are asking.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Rookie

How Sure?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

After looking at all the photos I can, it is mounted on the speedo. Though I am unsure where.
Nick

Edit- The set button is the on/off switch.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by The Fox
After looking at all the photos I can, it is mounted on the speedo. Though I am unsure where.
Nick

Edit- The set button is the on/off switch.

Thanks man. I trying to get a pic of it mounted but on the Traxxas site but they all have sealed receivers and I figured if there is a swith under there I can't see it. Thanks everybody.