DSM 2 RX bad? What are the odds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DSM 2 RX bad? What are the odds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default DSM 2 RX bad? What are the odds?

Well,
I have posted this in some other forums. And no luck. So, why not complete the circle and ask in here. I can't find an email address for Spektrum/Horizon Hobbys so here is it goes.

First up, my set up.

Tekin FXR ESC, CC BEC, 7.2v 3800 nimh battery, two MG995 high torque digital servos, R2-2speed tranny. DX3R radio.

A couple of nights ago. I had the "aux" channel working with the tranny. I had it on 2p as directed. My EPA's were at 100 H, 100 L. It was cold in the garage, so , being the moron, I unconnected everything and took the radio, esc, and rx in the house.

2 nights pass, hook everything back up. Test steering, good. throttle , good. test aux channel, Nothing. I did plug in the second servo in wrong before testing. I caught that before I tested. It was hard to get out. And I finally got the servo plug out. Only the wires came out, not the plug? Took the needlenose pliers and got the plug out. Tested the second servo on the steering channel and it worked still. So, that is good. Replug back into Aux channel. Nothing. I then rebind the radio to the rx. And nothing working on the Aux. I changed from switch D to Switch E and upon returning everything on. The servo centers. Cool I think. I go to test, nothing. I return my Aux channel to the D Switch, turn everything on. And the servo ONCE again, centers but, nothing after that.

Help. Anyone? Do I need a new RX? I don't think it is the EPA cause I have gone from 20 to 150 and still nothing. I am lost. I hope this doesn't sound confusing.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I had an issue with one of my Rx with my DX3.0. it wasn't the AUX portion, but the throttle. Sounds kinda the same, it would send some info to the ESC but wouldn't go. I ended up sending it in to Horizon, and in about two weeks I had a new one on my front door. When I opened the package, the tech had left a note explaining the issue with one I sent in. Haven’t had issues with the new one. I must say I was very happy with the way their customer service operated. Give them a call, so they can get a ticket going for you, makes things faster once they get the old one.

Here's a link to their Contact Page.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/About/Contact.aspx

hope that helps ya
Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info man.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B-man
Well,
I have posted this in some other forums. And no luck. So, why not complete the circle and ask in here. I can't find an email address for Spektrum/Horizon Hobbys so here is it goes.

First up, my set up.

Tekin FXR ESC, CC BEC, 7.2v 3800 nimh battery, two MG995 high torque digital servos, R2-2speed tranny. DX3R radio.

A couple of nights ago. I had the "aux" channel working with the tranny. I had it on 2p as directed. My EPA's were at 100 H, 100 L. It was cold in the garage, so , being the moron, I unconnected everything and took the radio, esc, and rx in the house.

2 nights pass, hook everything back up. Test steering, good. throttle , good. test aux channel, Nothing. I did plug in the second servo in wrong before testing. I caught that before I tested. It was hard to get out. And I finally got the servo plug out. Only the wires came out, not the plug? Took the needlenose pliers and got the plug out. Tested the second servo on the steering channel and it worked still. So, that is good. Replug back into Aux channel. Nothing. I then rebind the radio to the rx. And nothing working on the Aux. I changed from switch D to Switch E and upon returning everything on. The servo centers. Cool I think. I go to test, nothing. I return my Aux channel to the D Switch, turn everything on. And the servo ONCE again, centers but, nothing after that.

Help. Anyone? Do I need a new RX? I don't think it is the EPA cause I have gone from 20 to 150 and still nothing. I am lost. I hope this doesn't sound confusing.
Try the 11m/s Frame rate. If you're trying to mix it won't work on the 5.5 m/s mode.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay, Update

I had my mix A and B set. Something I don't need to use. I put both on inhibit and tried again. Got nothin.

Then I set the rate to 11ms. and BINGO. servo for tranny works.

My next question was, I thought I was supposed to run at 5.5ms with digital servos? My servos are both Tower Pros MG995's digital high torque servos. ?

If I am not gonna scorch anything with running at 11ms, I will leave it. If not, Should I look into getting different digital servos? I am told these Tower Pros are voltage hogs. I am also running the CC BEC? I think it is set at 6v? Maybe 5v? Whatever the default is. Could that of been an issue? Being that the my servos are hogs and the CC is at 5v or 6v? Making the 5.5ms not work both servos?

I am stoked that it works. THANKS for the help on that.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Okay, Update

I had my mix A and B set. Something I don't need to use. I put both on inhibit and tried again. Got nothin.

Then I set the rate to 11ms. and BINGO. servo for tranny works.

My next question was, I thought I was supposed to run at 5.5ms with digital servos? My servos are both Tower Pros MG995's digital high torque servos. ?

If I am not gonna scorch anything with running at 11ms, I will leave it. If not, Should I look into getting different digital servos? I am told these Tower Pros are voltage hogs. I am also running the CC BEC? I think it is set at 6v? Maybe 5v? Whatever the default is. Could that of been an issue? Being that the my servos are hogs and the CC is at 5v or 6v? Making the 5.5ms not work both servos?

I am stoked that it works. THANKS for the help on that.
You don't "Have" to run digitals with the 5.5m/s mode, it's just an option for the fastest response. I don't know the exact reason why but I know the mixing just isn't possible with the 5.5m/s mode.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hmmm...as far that i understand the 5.5 ms only work for steering, ami rite gary?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Umm. That maybe be correct, but, the first time I got everything dialed up and working, I was the 5.5 setting. Then, I mounted the servo on the tranny and tried it all again, and nothing.

As long as I am not gonna fry anything on 11.5. I will take it. I am crawling with this rig so, the 11.5 is sufficient.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by patricklui
hmmm...as far that i understand the 5.5 ms only work for steering, ami rite gary?
Actually it will work on throttle and steering if you have a throttle servo capable of the faster framerate.

Umm. That maybe be correct, but, the first time I got everything dialed up and working, I was the 5.5 setting. Then, I mounted the servo on the tranny and tried it all again, and nothing.

As long as I am not gonna fry anything on 11.5. I will take it. I am crawling with this rig so, the 11.5 is sufficient.
I'm surprised it worked at all at the 5.5m/s mode, it shouldn't have. No, you won't fry anything. In fact you could even use the 16m/s mode and it'll work fine, just less responsive.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

11.5 it is. Cool. Very happy to have this figured out. I suppose one day I should upgrade to some better servos. The ones I have are torqy and all metal gears, but, cheap.. You can get two on ebay , new for 20 bucks.