Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba BLS servos and 2s lipo

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Futaba BLS servos and 2s lipo

I know that they aren't rated to handle 7.2v-8.4 but i goggled it and found some Helli guys testing and using them with out a regulator and with great results.My question is anyone on here using these servos a FASST 2.4 RX at this voltage and if so for how long?Secondly can an AMB transponder handle the voltage?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

they say 7.2v max but that is pointless. i run 2s lipo, 9452 futaba servo and amb transponder no problem.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by not home
they say 7.2v max but that is pointless. i run 2s lipo, 9452 futaba servo and amb transponder no problem.
How long have you bin running an unregulated 2s and what receiver are you running.
The other thing how is everyone monitoring the voltage of there there lipo (as RX batt)
Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

fasst 3pm radio, been using it for quite some time now.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by not home
Are you powering the servo and transponder directly from the battery, or through a speed controls BEC?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

I run the Futaba BLS451 in my drift car using the 4pk with 2s no issues.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Tech Addict

i won't risk it.
i'm using a 6v 5A regulator for my 2S lipo with bls451...
Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RC nut
I run the Futaba BLS451 in my drift car using the 4pk with 2s no issues.
Are you powering the servo directly from the battery, or through the speed control BEC?

If it's through the speed control, the BEC feature is lowering the voltage, the servo isn't seeing the full battery voltage. Speed controls normally provide 5 to 6 volts to the radio and thus servos in a typical electric car.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have seen guys run 25v with a 3pk and transponder. The speedie eliminates un-need voltage when send it to the receiver
Old 01-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dave H
Are you powering the servo directly from the battery, or through the speed control BEC?

If it's through the speed control, the BEC feature is lowering the voltage, the servo isn't seeing the full battery voltage. Speed controls normally provide 5 to 6 volts to the radio and thus servos in a typical electric car.
It's through the receiver via ESC BEC . Buggydad asked if anyone was using these servos with a FASST 2.4 RX at this voltage and that's what I've done. I doubt I would risk the servo or the receiver with a stright 7.4. I don't know what an extra 1.4 volts would do the servo. I think the application would be the determinig factor as to weather it would be able to withstand the extra curent under load. Drift cars don't see hardly any load when it comes to steering and BLS servo is overkill for this app. just thought it would be cool to give one a try.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by buggydad
I know that they aren't rated to handle 7.2v-8.4 but i goggled it and found some Helli guys testing and using them with out a regulator and with great results.My question is anyone on here using these servos a FASST 2.4 RX at this voltage and if so for how long?Secondly can an AMB transponder handle the voltage?
Guys, the reason I chimed in is because buggydad was asking if anyone was using these without a regulator, which is what the BEC is. Of course it works with a BEC.

Has anyone used these at the higher voltage, without a BEC or regulator?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Guys, the reason I chimed in is because buggydad was asking if anyone was using these without a regulator, which is what the BEC is. Of course it works with a BEC.

I Bence tested this today for about 10 min with no ill effects.Nothing got hot or warm even with constant servo movementWhat this meens probably not much
Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

My bad I guess I didn't read it well enough

I Bence tested this today for about 10 min with no ill effects. Nothing got hot or warm even with constant servo movement. What this meens probably not much
And you would be right with out a load it doesn't really give you the whole picture. I can't remember from my electronics 101 days but as voltage increases current should drop I think... I can't remember if that applys to reactive or capacitive inductance... I don't know some one chime in and correct me.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RC nut
My bad I guess I didn't read it well enough

And you would be right with out a load it doesn't really give you the whole picture. I can't remember from my electronics 101 days but as voltage increases current should drop I think... I can't remember if that applys to reactive or capacitive inductance... I don't know some one chime in and correct me.
You are on the right track, the mechanical load on the servo needs to be considered. But in this case the current will probably go up, because the electrical reactance of the servo hasn't changed, more voltage causes more current generally (unless the servo circuit controls current, in any event it won't go down, and there will be more heat to dissipate).