Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airtronics MX3-FHSS receiver lock up issues after a hit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Airtronics MX3-FHSS receiver lock up issues after a hit

I did some searching but didnt see anything about this so I thought I would pose a question.

At my local track, a fellow 1/12th racer and I have nearly the exact same setup for hardware - Novak GTB 4 cell ESC, Futaba 9650 Servo, Airtronics 92324 reciver (that came with the MX3-FHSS radio). On hits, roll overs, slight bumps we both have issues with our recievers going dumb for a few seconds. Sometime they come back to life on their own and we are OK, other times you need to power down the entire car for 5 to 10 seconds to get it to link back up and work.

At first I thought this was power, but power was still flowing to the ESC and transponder, and since the transponder was lit, the reciever obviously has power.

The red light stopped flashing and was just dark on the reciever.

This a common issue for these? or are we just two very unlucky folks who have the same exact issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

This lock up issue killed one of my qualifiers and killed the A Main for me tonight.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

if the red light is flashing the receiver is trying to bind to the radio. the light should be on all the time when it's ok to run. i've had about ten of these receivers and never had a problem. i ran them in off road also and you know what kind of hits they take.

if the red light is on but flickers or something, maybe you have a loose connection inside the receiver somewhere.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by LOW ET
if the red light is flashing the receiver is trying to bind to the radio. the light should be on all the time when it's ok to run. i've had about ten of these receivers and never had a problem. i ran them in off road also and you know what kind of hits they take.

if the red light is on but flickers or something, maybe you have a loose connection inside the receiver somewhere.

The issue myself and another guy are having is the red light just goes dark and wont come back on until the reciever is powered down for a time. Odd Hu?

I just sent an email to Airtronics support asking them what they think... I had an issue a LONG time ago with a FM receiver (Futaba) that would freak out in a 1/12th but was good in everything else... the conclusion we came to (folks at the track and Futaba) as that it was probably an issue with static build up on the chassis from the carpet. Dont think that would manifest itself like this all of a sudden for us though.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

almost sounds like it's over heating. it works fine, turns off, wont turn on for a few minutes (cool down time). i don't know.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by LOW ET
almost sounds like it's over heating. it works fine, turns off, wont turn on for a few minutes (cool down time). i don't know.
Only in a hit though, I mean it can be as small of a hit as driving over the edge of a plow disk, rolling over, or just tapping a wall... Never a glitch or an issue any other time. Now I know its best practice to avoid any of those things, but tonight in our A Main a competitor punted me into the wall coming onto a straight... thats all she wrote for the receiver until a friend of mine who knew this issues was happening power cycled the car for the right amount of time.

If it was just mine I would write it off as a bad receiver - it happens - but the fact another competitor ( the only other guy who runs this radio at the track) has this issue leads me to believe theres something else going on.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I've had similar issues with both of my FHSS RXs. I've found it to be a binding issue in as far as the on/off switch gets bumped enough to momentarily turn the power off if only for a fraction of a second. The lag time is the Rx trying to re-bind with the Tx.

My solution has been to zip-tie my switches when racing.....works like a charm.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM

When I went testing the rx after cleaning it out i didnt have any issues. I did move the switch to a different position and maybe that helped.

I think you are onto something about it trying to rebind. I am thinking its a power dip caused by something thats causing the "fail safe" to kick in on the rx and not let go.