Wiki Posts
Search

High end radio = Better Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by jamminnay
once you learn to keep it off the pipe start considering buying a higher end radio... i recommend the 3pk fasst!
OK don't laugh
But back some 20yrs ago there were acouple of guys from Japan that came to race in the ROAR Nats, They use the old 2 stick radios not the newer pistol grips like everyone else.
Does that mean just because they cleaned house that everyone go out and buy one. NO
I still have my old M-8 for a back up
Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sure it helps but if your radio has the stuff Indy said you really don't need to upgrade. Unless something goes wrong with it what is the point? I'm still using my M8 with Spektrum and its fine. Has everything and more than I need and its not new at all.

What is the point in have features you don't use when you can get a cheaper radio with the features you will use for cheaper?
Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

its not even about the settings. hold a diffrent radio and feel the diffrence if you fighting yourself while driving you will never get good i bought a m11 because the way it felt i like d the fact to go full break my finger wasnt straight out.(why i dont like spektrum radios) try some one elses radio and see how it feels in your hands thats the biggest thing
Old 12-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its not about the features or the screen at all. Most good radios will have all the settings you want--expo, subtrim, trims, EPA, dual rate. Its about the comfort and feel and about how the wheel and trigger feel. I have been through about 4 pro radios in the last year before finally settling on the m11. Its a very subtle thing but with the M11 your hand doesn't move as much, the trigger has a better shape and is a better location than any radio I have ever felt. The steering wheel is more progressive and has much less travel--your hand moves less. But as rb5 said--you will go faster when you find a radio that suits you--and its not because of the big fancy screen or tons of features--its how it feels and how the car reacts to teh controls.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

As far as features a real good driver can take the radio/receiver out of a TMaxx and win with it in any class they might enter. Would it become their radio of choice, doubt it.

Are the features of high end radios nice, yes. I would bet that better than 75% of the people that have them don't have a clue what most of the "features" do or how to adjust them.

I agree with the folks that say the most needed feature is how it feels in your hands. What good are bells and whistles if the button to control them is not in a good place for your hand? Maybe everything feels good for location, but the steering has too heavy of a spring and no adjustment, etc.

If your current radio feels good, has the adjustments you need and works correctly, why get a new radio?

Ed M.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

naa na how it "feels", not so much in your hand but how the car feels and interacts with you.

I would be dog poo with a traxxas radio. I would prolly over shoot corners and struggle with consistancy. I have tried to help noobs with there rtr radios and lemme tell you it's frustrating.

It's all good though. If someone is happy with what they got then thats all that matters.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

In other words there is no point for me to upgrade from a MX-3S ?
Unless there are thigns about my controller i hate ???
Old 12-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

yup just stick with what ya got
Old 12-22-2008, 02:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like my mx-3fhss but I don't like how it drains batteries. I have a big hand but the wheel on my mx-3 feels pretty good. I tried my brothers spectrum dx2 and it took some getting used to but the bigger feel was kinda nice, but i felt the spring in the wheel was a bit too tight, as if i were fighting the car to steer.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IMO, How a radio feels in your hand does matter but even that isn't 100% of it. I went from a DX3.0 to a DX3R mostly because I liked the way it felt in my hand and for some of the features it has. Did it make me any faster don't think so. I was able to afford it so I bought. Do I think not having it would be costing me races NO. Unless you are a pro or have the skills to drive as smooth and consitant as one I don't think any high end radio is going to show you a huge improvement. Pro drivers and the fastest of the fastest local guys have a natural "feel" for what a car is doing and can "feel" very small changes to a set-up that most drivers would never notice. Your skill level plays a big part in what part of your program could most help you. If you haven't allready, let a local hot shoe driver your stuff and see what they say. I have never driven anybodies car and told them that their radio is the reason they're banging of the boards.. Sorry for rambling on.

IMO not all pro drivers are the best around. Many of them where at the right place at the right time and met the right people. Do you really think those 42 guys you watch on sunday are THE 42 best in the country I DON'T! just my opinion
Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xpertpredator
I like my mx-3fhss but I don't like how it drains batteries. I have a big hand but the wheel on my mx-3 feels pretty good. I tried my brothers spectrum dx2 and it took some getting used to but the bigger feel was kinda nice, but i felt the spring in the wheel was a bit too tight, as if i were fighting the car to steer.
Agreed I like my MX-3S, tell you the truth its the highest end Remote my hands have ever touched.
I'd normally use the RTR AM ones or a 1998 Futaba. But they broke on me and one got lost during a storm.
I am still trying to figure out how to adjust my trigger travel. There is this LiL trigger adjsutment gauge LOL

I guess i can hold out on this matter and stick to my MX-3S and jstu get antoehr Synth reciever ^^
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I'm kind of agreement with most of the other people here...

A high-end radios functions WILL help... But only if you're skilled enough to actually "feel" what those functions cause your car to do differently.

I've owned everything from the DX3R, M8, M11, 3PKS, and have settled on the 4PK...

Reason - It just FEELS right in my hand.

I loved my M8 as well... and will probably be trying another one. But my M11 felt WAY wrong in my hand. I'm going to try the M8 again just so I know that I've made the right decision with my 4PK.

With the M11 the throttle trigger even after adjustment for position would never fit my hand... I'd go to tag the brakes and my finger would just slip out of the trigger. Never had that problem with my M8.

As such when I switch from the M8 to the M11 my lap times suffered horribly... One thing it did teach me though while trying to make it work was to drive smoother. Guess I can thank it for that.

As for the DX3R... It just felt cheap in my hand... The plastic they use, the dimensions... etc. Just didn't inspire confidence for me and once again.. The ergonomics just weren't right for me.

I finally got me a 4PK and LOVE this radio! - I doubt I'll be getting anything different for a long time...

The main thing is... a $500 radio IS NOT going to improve your driving... PRACTICE is what improves your driving.

But you question was IS THERE A DIFFERENCE.... Well Yeah... There is a big difference. But until you are good enough to be able to NOTICE that difference... There is no point in owning a super high end radio for just the features.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jube
Is the "better" feeling radio going to keep you off the pipe and from being marshalled? Until you can do the Im not sure radio matters except if you TRULY know how to use its functions. The nice thing about the upper end radios is that you can fine tune the radio and car to your driving style.

+1

Compared to some of the crap stock radios that come with kits I'd have to agree that the "feel" of a better radio system is worth the comparative cost difference.
But seeing as xpertpredator already has a mx3 I can't see much of a difference other than more whistles and bells.

I can't tell you how many times I've read about, or talked to, some of the big name pros and other than setting their expo and other basic adjustments literally none of them use all the other doodads and leave them on the stock settings.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fla racer57
OK don't laugh
But back some 20yrs ago there were acouple of guys from Japan that came to race in the ROAR Nats, They use the old 2 stick radios not the newer pistol grips like everyone else.
Does that mean just because they cleaned house that everyone go out and buy one. NO
I still have my old M-8 for a back up
Masami (sp?), who has probably won more worlds titles than anyone alive, STILL uses a stick radio.

hell I saw a video where he was driving with his feet and got the car around the track better than most weekend racers WITH their highend systems, and I don't think it was because his "feel" of grabbing the sticks with his toes was superior.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Masami (sp?), who has probably won more worlds titles than anyone alive, STILL uses a stick radio.

hell I saw a video where he was driving with his feet and got the car around the track better than most weekend racers WITH their highend systems, and I don't think it was because his "feel" of grabbing the sticks with his toes was superior.
He did an interview years ago and attributed a lot of his success to his father having him drive on every type surface they could find. Didn't matter if it was sand, dirt, rock, asphalt, carpet, slick floor,ice, etc. for long periods of time. When he hit the track it didn't matter the condition, he had already driven on it and was able to adapt quickly. He has also practiced more with his feet on the sticks than most people practice in their whole lifetime with a wheel radio.

Feel of the radio is also important with a stick radio. Ask some flyer's. While wheel radios are predominant here in the States that is not true worldwide. It all depends on what you started with.

Ed M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.