Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
REVERSE POLARITY ON 12V GELL CELL??? >

REVERSE POLARITY ON 12V GELL CELL???

REVERSE POLARITY ON 12V GELL CELL???

Old 11-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default REVERSE POLARITY ON 12V GELL CELL???

I have a new q-world starter box and i needed the wheel to spin in opposite direction so i swapped the polarity around on the 12v gell cell so the red lead goes to the negative and the black lead goes to the positive.

I'm just wondering if it's ok for the gell cell or am i going to blow it up? Or even the motors. Should i have swapped polarity at the motors instead?

Any help is much appreciated
Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If it is conecting straight to the motor it shouldnt matter but if there is any thing else in between you have a problem
Old 11-17-2008, 04:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by freestyles
I have a new q-world starter box and i needed the wheel to spin in opposite direction so i swapped the polarity around on the 12v gell cell so the red lead goes to the negative and the black lead goes to the positive.

I'm just wondering if it's ok for the gell cell or am i going to blow it up? Or even the motors. Should i have swapped polarity at the motors instead?

Any help is much appreciated
can you just mount the wheel 180deg rotated?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by keavze
can you just mount the wheel 180deg rotated?
For some reason my gell cell doesn't fit properly if it's rotated so i thought swapping polarity was the easiest and quickest way to over come it

So i take it that it's no good?

DRIFTING101: What do you mean by anything in between. I have a standard set up with the push down contacts and a switch is that ok?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

As far as operation it should not cause a problem. Where the problem will come is when you go to charge the battery. If you hook into an external jack to charge you will need to make your hookup in reverse. If you hook straight to the battery you will have to remember that the red wire in the starter box is not positive any more it got hooked to the negative battery post.

Ed M.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I dont know what a "normal" starter box is as i have never used one......if it has a swith then i might worry
Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bentgear
As far as operation it should not cause a problem. Where the problem will come is when you go to charge the battery. If you hook into an external jack to charge you will need to make your hookup in reverse. If you hook straight to the battery you will have to remember that the red wire in the starter box is not positive any more it got hooked to the negative battery post.

Ed M.
I take it out and put the charger straight onto the battery terminals, no wire harness. Will i still need to connect it reverse polarity to charge? I'm thinking not but i just want to make sure.

I started my buggy about 5-6 times this afternoon and it seemed to go ok but time will tell i suppose or maybe i'm worrying for nothing.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Pos + lead from the charger should always wind up connecting to the Pos + terminal of the battery. Neg - to Neg -.

As far as when the starter is in use as a starter the battery does not care how the motor is hooked up. All it knows is that a connection has been made and it is being asked to supply current.

Ed M.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bentgear
Pos + lead from the charger should always wind up connecting to the Pos + terminal of the battery. Neg - to Neg -.

As far as when the starter is in use as a starter the battery does not care how the motor is hooked up. All it knows is that a connection has been made and it is being asked to supply current.

Ed M.
Cheers mate i will sleep easier knowing my starter box is ok now