Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Info on Turnigy Accucel 6

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Accucel-6 has a 50watt limit, 14.8v x 5a = 72.5watt - above output power limit, 14.8v x 3.5a = 51.8watts - close enough to limit that charger will allow it.

The Accucel -8 has a 150watt limit and would do 5amps.

These 50watt chargers use slightly diff ways to stay under their power limnit. This one is limiting the current.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Ya I meant to say 50W not 150. I figured that it was maxed out none the less though. Thanks for the confirmation Duster.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hi guys... i have this charger and started using it recently. i'm charging bnew packs of flightmax 2S 5000mah lipos. i notice the balance charge does not finish... i keep reaching my time limit of 90minutes and even though the charge amps is 0.0 or 0.2A it still does not stop balance charging.

i read thru the discussion forum in hobby city and a guy also had the same problem. anyone has an idea about this? help. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff_o
hi guys... i have this charger and started using it recently. i'm charging bnew packs of flightmax 2S 5000mah lipos. i notice the balance charge does not finish... i keep reaching my time limit of 90minutes and even though the charge amps is 0.0 or 0.2A it still does not stop balance charging.

i read thru the discussion forum in hobby city and a guy also had the same problem. anyone has an idea about this? help. Thanks.
Change your time limit or even shut it off.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

but isn't it supposed to automatically finish when fully balance charged?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

but isn't it supposed to automatically finish when fully balance charged?
Yes it will finish when it is complete, but the charger has a built in timer that will shut off the charger no matter what, even if its not done, so you need to up the time limit or disable the timer so the pack can finish. Or you can just restart the charger. Your call there.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

i don't think i explained myself well... I'm charging at 1C = 5A for a 5000mah 2S lipo. around 60 minutes, the charging amp rate has gone down to .2A already... sometimes i see it reaching 0.0A. at that point isn't it supposed to stop charging because it's fully charged and no more amps are going in?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Ok now we're on a different track! You will periodically see that happen when it gets down to the end of the balance charge. When you're balance charging you can push your right arrow button and it will show you individual cell voltages so you can see how well your pack is or isnt balanced. I def suggest doing this as soon as you have ran the pack to see how evenly your pack is discharging just so you know.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

yeah i know about the right arrow. it is balanced..... 1 cell has 4.19 the other has 4.20. sometimes both have 4.20... but the balance charging just doesn't stop. even if it's 8.4V (4.2 both) already and amp charging have gone down to 0A
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Mine does the same too. I just let it. If you want you can stop it at any time you want. That's the beauty of lipo. I personally let mine go till it says it's done.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Lord

Anybody know the calibrate procedure for the Accucel-6? There's supposed to be a button sequence you can hold at start up that lest you calibrate the voltage.....

If your lipos are coming off a under max voltage by more than just a little this is suposed be the way to resolve issue.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

duster... what does that calibration do? can that fix the problem of the balance charge not finishing? is there a documentation somewhere about this calibration... i hope my charger is not defective but just needs calibration.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Anybody know the calibrate procedure for the Accucel-6? There's supposed to be a button sequence you can hold at start up that lest you calibrate the voltage.....

If your lipos are coming off a under max voltage by more than just a little this is suposed be the way to resolve issue.
I have owned this charger for a few months now (very, very happy with it) and until now I have never even heard of a calibration menu, but after MUCH digging I found how to access it...hold Start and the - buttons at power-up and continue to hold them for about 6 seconds.

duster... what does that calibration do? can that fix the problem of the balance charge not finishing? is there a documentation somewhere about this calibration... i hope my charger is not defective but just needs calibration.
Having the ability to calibrate the charger is a good thing, but I would be EXTREMELY careful with messing with the factory settings. A high-quality, accurate voltmeter is a MUST, and even if you are able to determine that what the charger is telling you and what is actually happening with the battery are not the same, I have found no reliable documentation for what to actually DO in the calibration menu to fix the discrepancy. Enter at your own risk...

-rocky b
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Lord

If your lipos are not finishing, look at what you have your "safety timer" set for. Its in the User set up and defaults to 120min. set it to something higher like 180min or set it off. Some lipos can take quite a while to come into balance, so I think you may not be letting it finish. I've seen lipos take several hours to balance completely. There is some round off going on with teh display, so when you see 4.2 and 4.2, they could still be off mor ethan charger will allow, 4.199v and 4.186v - both would round to 4.20 and yet still be diff by .013 - thats 13mv. I'm not sure I've seen spec for what it accepts as "balanced" but its usually less than that.

What brand and what size??

Calibration has nothing to do with balancing so that won't help you there.

flatspunout - Thanks - I knew the combo, but wasn't holding it when powered on long enough. I'm not doing anything fancy and have access to a uber expensive DVM if I need it, and the guy who owns it if I need them, lol! I want to set it so I get the same voltage that my Hyperions charge too, right now its a little low.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

duster and flat.... thanks guys for the inputs. i went into my calibration menu and the voltage is off by +.01. a good VM reads 7.67 but the accucel reads 7.68. so i calibrated and will now try to charge it.

duster: if you set to charge at 1C, isnt' that suppose to finish in an hour or a little after an hour? my time limit is 90minutes and i see the amps going down to 0.0A already, but still the charger is not finishing.

anyhow.. i will try to balance charge it for 120 mins. and see. i have the accucel 6 and charging flightmax 5000 2s1p. it's funny that the total charge amps surpassed 5000mah during balance charging. that scared me and i stopped the balance charging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.