Wiki Posts
Search

Need help converting PC ATX to DC power supply

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default Need help converting PC ATX to DC power supply

I have most of this figured out, I followed some instructions I found online. I have all the wiring correct so that the PSU stays on without any load. I have all six yellow wires (+12v DC) going to a positive pole and six black wires (ground) going to a negative pole.

I switch the PSU on and the fans run, but when I connect my DC charger to the poles, the charger gets a brief moment of power then the PSU cuts off. If I turn the PSU off for about 20 seconds and back on it will turn on again, so it sounds like an overload protection kicking in.

The only thing is that this is a 300w power supply with 18 amps on the 12v rail. The charger is a Hyperion EOS5i that wants an input of 12v 60w, so it should not be overloading. Any thoughts on what could be wrong here?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Ok a little update on this.. I found that the problem was the surge when I connected the charger while the power supply was running. If I connect the charger to the power supply while it is off, then turn the power supply on, everything works fine.

I can live with this but I would like to be able to get around this if anyone knows of an idea of what might work.

Side note - pretty easy other than this one issue. I have less than $30 invested in a 300 watt, 18 amp power supply with fans.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

get a 10ohm 10watt+ resistor from radio shack, and hook it in between a red and black wire, it should solve the problem.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

I do have one and I tried it both ways. Voltage without the resistor is 11.96 and with it inline it sits nicely at 12.00v - no load. However the surge issue happens with or without it. I can live with it like this, but it would be better if I could connect and disconnect items from the power supply without having to shut it off and on each time.

I'm also going to have to test how the power supply handles a load without the resistor, I took it out to reduce the heat. I have charged 2s lipos at 5 amps without issue, but the real test will be my 4s lipos at 6 amps.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Perhaps a nice bigger capacitor from + to - to eliminate the spike? Personally unless your trying to run multiple chargers, why not just connect them together in a more permanent manor?