Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Xcelorin LOS9515, low voltage comes on and stutters >

Xcelorin LOS9515, low voltage comes on and stutters

Xcelorin LOS9515, low voltage comes on and stutters

Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy Xcelorin LOS9515, low voltage comes on and stutters

This is my first post to this forum, it looks like there are tons of smart people here! Maybe you can help me.

I have a Traxxas Rustler VXL. I'm running the stock Velineon brushless motor and my stock ESC finally smoked with my 3s1p 5000mah 25c battery.

I just purchased the Losi Xcelorin LOS9515 ESC. This controller seems pretty nice but I have one big problem.

If I hit full throttle the red light starts blinking and the car stutters really bad when the throttle is pegged. If I let off and hit it again sometimes it will discharge 100% and other times it will stutter really bad. The car is pretty much un-usable because of this.

I'm using a TP-610C charger and never had this issue with the Velineon ESC. I have pretty much perfect solider joints and connections. I've tuned the Xcelroin every which way, set everything conservitively, maxed everything, timing, initial start, thorttle curve, etc...

Also, the low voltage cutoff is set to 9volts. I put a volt recorder on the power the source and under max load (car flipping over), the battery never drops below 10.9 volts. Why would the red light start blinking?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This may sound bad, but did you set for your radio? You can't just pull it out of the box and put it in the car. It needs to be setup for the radio.If you did that what motor are you using and are you sure the motor is any good?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes,

I went through all the of configuration and calibration of the transmitter.

I'm using the stock Velineon motor. Everything ran fine with the Velineon ESC.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Would you mind posting your setup
Old 10-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Not at all,

Rustler VXL
stock motor (Velineon 3800kv I think).
Xcelorin LOS9515 ESC
HECELL 25C 5000mah 3s1p pack
original transmitter and receiver
23/76 gearing

The ESC is set to:
0% drag
40% brake
no limit throttle (i've set this to all settings)
forward/pause/reverse
reverse rotation is selected (the motor was going in reverse when I wired everything. This seems to be a common problem. I followed A to A, B to B and C to C.
Lipo 3s 9V cuttoff
Initial Accel is set to high, (i've tried every setting in this group)
Motor timing is set to high (i've tried every setting in this group)
deadband is set to 3, i've tried 4
My transmitter is set to legacy as I do not have a 2.4GHz system yet.

I read somewhere that setting the ESC to nimh no voltage cutoff fixes the problem. I just gave it a shot and the car seems to be receiving the correct power now but the red light still blinks and the car doesn't respond very quickly.

Last edited by brianmiller; 10-20-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Angry

I just got off the phone with Horizon Hobby (Losi). They said they're not releasing any new firmware and they don't really support LiPo batteries on the LOS9515. What the hell is that?

They say Lithium Polymer batteries are intended to be used with their race ESCs. Bunch of shit if you ask me.

Two down with Losi. I bought their LOS5000 LiPo charger and it exploded on the fifth charge and now this ESC.

I doubt I'll ever buy Losi again.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brianmiller
I just got off the phone with Horizon Hobby (Losi). They said they're not releasing any new firmware and they don't really support LiPo batteries on the LOS9515. What the hell is that?

They say Lithium Polymer batteries are intended to be used with their race ESCs. Bunch of shit if you ask me.

They must have been confused on the ESC in question. It appears you have the sensorless 10th scale esc. If this is the ESC you have it does and is intended to run 2S and 3S lipo.

Looking at your setup it seems your running the stock gearing, and i would initially suggest to drop the timing to at least LOW, the inital start MED and Possibly HIGH.

When in NiMH mode (beside the Red Light) what problem are you having.

New firmware will be released again believe there was confusion on what ESC they were discussing.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, I am running stock gearing. I am more than willing to mess with the gearing but everything worked fine with my old sub-par Velineon ESC. I've set the timing to all possible options with the same result.

When in NiMH mode, the car seems better but whenever I come to a complete stop and go into reverse it doesn't do anything. I have to hit forward and reverse a number of times before reverse works.

Is there an estimated time for the release of the next firmware? Is there a bug list for the existing .34 firmware? I'd like to diagnose the problem has firmware or hardware so I know if I need to send in the ESC for repair or not.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

LOSB9515 is what comes with the Speed-T, so they have recommended LiPo's all over the box......
Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

try setting the timing to LOW and for NOW ONLY test battery in NiMH with no cut off.
Reverse - when the truck/car stops reverse should be active on the 2nd push. Trying to prevent sudden reverse which is typically very hard on the drivetrain.

Last edited by rocketron; 10-29-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down Done......

FYI, - Finishing the thread I started....

I returned my LOSB9515 and purchased a Castle Creations Mamba Max.

I love it. Amazing difference between the LOSB9515 and Mamba Max. Roughly the same price too.

I should have listened to my brother in law. He bought the Mamba Max first.......

I first purchased the LOS5000 (LiPo charger), it blew up on the fifth charge.

Then the LOSB9515 ESC. It never worked right and the capacitor finally smoked on the 4 attempted use.

I just bought the Spektrum DX2.0. It seems to be working quite well. I hope it continues to. I've also only used the DX2.0 3 or 4 times.

2 down, I won't buy Horizon stuff anymore. I've been very patient with Horizon and they do have great RTV (return to vendor) support for repair. But the products are definitely sub-par.

-Brian
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey,

I picked up a used Rustler VXL with a Losi Xcelorin LOS9515 ESC. It has the same issue that the original poster described.

I don't have the USB cable and software to reconfigure the ESC. Does anyone know if there was a newer version of the firmware released or is it still at .34?

Does anyone know a fix? Should I get the Castle Creations Mamba Max like the original poster?

Thanks for any info.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, I guess I am going to remove this Losi Xcelorin LOS9515 ESC from mu Rustler VXL.

What motor should I pair this Losi Xcelorin LOS9515 ESC up with?