Lithium Ion vs LIPO vs NiMh vs NiCd vs Alkaline vs Lead Acid

Old 10-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Lithium Ion vs LIPO vs NiMh vs NiCd vs Alkaline vs Lead Acid

As per the title, which one baby!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

well the ones that pertain the most to RC is Lipo (lithium polymer), NiMh and NiCd, however you did neglect to mention LiFe(a123) cells.

Lipo is the most advanced and offers the most power, however they can be volatile if not treated correctly. most are 2s and 3s packs with capacity going over 10,000mah. for more power simply add more cells! 4s and above is some pretty high voltage stuff.

NiMh is probably the most common with packs ranging in size from 4 cells up to 7-8+ cells. Their capacity is maxing out it seems at around 5000mah and unless you get very good quality, bad cells tend to develop quicker as the capacity increases. these are much cheaper than Lipo, easier to care for, and are much more stable.

NiCd is the older standard. why you would run it is beyond me. they are older tech that is very similiar to NiMh but cheaper overall.

The rest really dont matter (lead acid maybe for field charging at 12v but past that i cant think of an application)