Wiki Posts
Search

batterys gettin to hot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default batterys gettin to hot?

well guys i have a question. Im charging SMC 3800 nimh at 6 amps using a checkpoint 1030 and my batteries are getting really hot. Is this normal?
Old 08-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Suspect thats normal for a high charge rate. Why so high?

If temps are hotter than you can hold, you're prob damaging them (shortening life). I don't charge anything over 5amps except a123s. I realize racers charge batts at higher rates, but I don't recall reading rates much above 5a. Did someomne recommend 6a?
Old 08-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A lot of folks like charging at 6amps.. dunno why.. sure it makes charging the pack faster, but typically just over heats the cells.. then they don't last as long..

Even charging at 5amps they get warm.. keep a fan on them.. and I would definitely try a lower rate...

Jerome
Old 08-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

yes charging at 6 amps does heat the cells up but, you will get more punch with a higher charge amp, but when you charge at 5 amps it will not have as much punch, it might not be noticeable so my guess is that maybe you could charge them at 5 amps and see if you notice a difference but go from 5 to 6 because that will most likely show you the difference, and if you don't see any or feel any difference I would just charge them at 5 amps then I they stay cooler
Old 08-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default charging

well the reason im charging so high is because that is what SMC says to do. I race at a club level so a little more punch dosent really matter. ill try 5 amps and see what happens. Thanx for the help guys Also what would be a good diischarge rate?

Last edited by draggin87; 08-31-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
A lot of folks like charging at 6amps.. dunno why.. sure it makes charging the pack faster, but typically just over heats the cells.. then they don't last as long..

Even charging at 5amps they get warm.. keep a fan on them.. and I would definitely try a lower rate...

Jerome
Never charge a pack with a fan blowing on the pack. You will get false peaks and you can possibly ruin the pack. You can use a fan when you discharge packs.....

check the pack temp it shouldnt go above 130 F
Old 08-31-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by draggin87
well guys i have a question. Im charging SMC 3800 nimh at 6 amps using a checkpoint 1030 and my batteries are getting really hot. Is this normal?
Ditch the nim and get a lipo, problem solved!!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by draggin87
well the reason im charging so high is because that is what SMC says to do. I race at a club level so a little more punch dosent really matter. ill try 5 amps and see what happens. Thanx for the help guys Also what would be a good diischarge rate?
I would say when done running them let them cool then discharge at 30 amps then put them on a smart tray or balancing device and drain the cells to .9 for each cell that way you know that they are all down to the same voltage. but if you get any ep packs do not discharge them right when you get done running them they discharge themselves, but before you use them discharge them at 30 amps and then smart tray them, then you can charge them because If you discharge the ep's right a way you can damage the cells