Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Just went LiPo.. now im shitting myself! >

Just went LiPo.. now im shitting myself!

Just went LiPo.. now im shitting myself!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Just went LiPo.. now im shitting myself!

I just bought a LiPo pack for my Futaba 3PM and have been doing some reading on LiPo's exploding etc. Its got me a little bit worried as im new to LiPo's. The battery i purchased is a 11.1 V 2200mAh 3Cells Li-Po Battery and have the following charger

Swallow 2 AC/DC

Input Voltage 11-15V DC or 100-240VAC
Battery Type NiMH / NiCad / SLA / Li-Ion
Charge Mode NiMH/NiCad Charge/Discharge/Cycle
Charge Mode SLA/Li-Ion Charge/Discharge
Battery Cells NiMH/NiCad 1-14 Cells
Battery Cells Li-Ion 1-5 Cells
SLA 2/4/6/8/10/12 V Packs
Charge Current (ALL) 0.1-5.0A (100mA Steps)
Discharge Current (ALL) 10-1.0mA (10mA Steps)
Trickle Charge (ALL) 0-200mA

Is this an ok charger. it doesnt have a balancer and was wondering how far i can discharge and charge the LiPo safely and what i need to watch out for.

Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Their is alot of info on the web. Try max amps for starters, but I think you not able to go bellow 3v. Anything after that I think the cells go bad.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

does it even do lipo?? what is sla?? as long as u dont let it go below 3v per cell ur good since its 3 cell i would say not below 9v but with my 2 cell i dont let it go below 6.2v or 6.3 just to be safe. as far as exploding just dont overcharge it and make sure u dont charge it more then 1c.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

SLA = Sealed Lead Acid ??

Li-pos require a charging protocol called CC/CV - they're charged at constant current (usually 1C) until max cell voltage of 4.2v is reached, then the charger switches to constant voltage and charges at diminishing charge rates until capacity is reached. Minimum cell voltage is 3.0v - you might get away with overdischagrging below 3v/cell, but I wouldn't advise it, can potentially damage/puff cell. A good lipo charger won't charge a lipo reading below 3v/cell - potentially dangerous.

Li-ion has slightly diff cell voltages 3.6v/cell nominal vs 3.7v/cell for Lipo. They also have diff max voltages - li-ion 4.1v versus 4.2v for lipo. Both my chargers have separate settings for lipo and li-ion and both are charged with CC/CV routines.

I'd think you'd be ok charging your lipos on your charger especially if you can only use the default li-ion settings which would be safe for lipo. I think the li-ion charge mode will be the CC/CV that both lipo and li-ion use. You may be able to reset cell max voltage to lipo values and likewise with the min. Can only tell from charger when you set up a batt - it either will or will not let you specify max voltage for charge and min voltage for discharge. Best way to discharge - just run them in your rc, let esc protect them from over disch.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Duster_360
SLA = Sealed Lead Acid ??

Li-pos require a charging protocol called CC/CV - they're charged at constant current (usually 1C) until max cell voltage of 4.2v is reached, then the charger switches to constant voltage and charges at diminishing charge rates until capacity is reached. Minimum cell voltage is 3.0v - you might get away with overdischagrging below 3v/cell, but I wouldn't advise it, can potentially damage/puff cell. A good lipo charger won't charge a lipo reading below 3v/cell - potentially dangerous.

Li-ion has slightly diff cell voltages 3.6v/cell nominal vs 3.7v/cell for Lipo. They also have diff max voltages - li-ion 4.1v versus 4.2v for lipo. Both my chargers have separate settings for lipo and li-ion and both are charged with CC/CV routines.

I'd think you'd be ok charging your lipos on your charger especially if you can only use the default li-ion settings which would be safe for lipo. I think the li-ion charge mode will be the CC/CV that both lipo and li-ion use. You may be able to reset cell max voltage to lipo values and likewise with the min. Can only tell from charger when you set up a batt - it either will or will not let you specify max voltage for charge and min voltage for discharge. Best way to discharge - just run them in your rc, let esc protect them from over disch.
Wow. Guru here! Thanks for that. Its not going in my car, its for the Futaba 3PM TX. Its making a little bit more sense now. I dont think i will discharge them just to be safe. Do i need a balancer??
Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Lord

No, lol, just been using them for about 4yrs! Getting more into them as they get better and hopefully cheaper. I use a 3S 3300 in my 3PK and another in my 3PJS - yes, I think you need a balancer. Both mine seem to get out of balance cell-to-cell between charges. For me, balancing is easy since I use a balancing charger that does both at once. If you have a dvm, you can check cell voltage at the balance tap and see how much they differ.

There are 2 kinds of balancers - passive and active. You use a passive balancer after charging and it balances by discharging cells at higher voltage and you wind up with cells balanced to the weakest cell. Active balancer works while charging and does its best to balance them at the highest voltage per cell, 4.2v. This gives you the highest capacity following a charge. LBA10 is a flexible balancer, also sold as Equinox, but its same balancer made by Hyperion, seems to have all the connections and adapters you might need. There are others out there that do just as well.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Renault_Tech
Wow. Guru here! Thanks for that. Its not going in my car, its for the Futaba 3PM TX. Its making a little bit more sense now. I dont think i will discharge them just to be safe. Do i need a balancer??
You should have considered the Swallow AC/DC EQ charger rather than the now outdated Swallow 2, as the later EQ model has a built in balancer. More so since the Swallow EQ is about the same price as the 2.

As Duster mentioned the Swallow does do CC/CV for either Li-ion's or Lipo's and the max voltage can be set for either battery type. So you should be good to go.

You wont necessarily need a balancer straight up as your only discharging your 3S lipo at a very slow rate using it in the radio but you will want to balance it some time in the near future and again the reason you should have opted for the Swallow EQ charger.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

got a ? is there a active balancer that can be used with the Duratrax ICE charger? I would rather charge and balance at the same time then charge then balance. lol
Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Super_Roo
You should have considered the Swallow AC/DC EQ charger rather than the now outdated Swallow 2, as the later EQ model has a built in balancer. More so since the Swallow EQ is about the same price as the 2.

As Duster mentioned the Swallow does do CC/CV for either Li-ion's or Lipo's and the max voltage can be set for either battery type. So you should be good to go.

You wont necessarily need a balancer straight up as your only discharging your 3S lipo at a very slow rate using it in the radio but you will want to balance it some time in the near future and again the reason you should have opted for the Swallow EQ charger.
what if you have a lipo battery that does not have the balancing ports can you still balance them?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackBart
what if you have a lipo battery that does not have the balancing ports can you still balance them?
You kinda answered your own question but that would also depend on the number of cells in your pack. If it was a 1S pack it would not have a balancing tap on it.

I have some old Kokam cells sitting around the shop that dont have balancing taps on them so when I make them up into packs I install some taps so they can be balance charged.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah now i am kicking myself i didnt get the EQ model. My LHS didnt stock the EQ and i only bought the Swallow 2 to do my NiCd and NiMh cells. I only stumbled across LiPo afterwards. I might just flog this one off and get the EQ.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

You kinda answered your own question but that would also depend on the number of cells in your pack. If it was a 1S pack it would not have a balancing tap on it.

I have some old Kokam cells sitting around the shop that dont have balancing taps on them so when I make them up into packs I install some taps so they can be balance charged.
I have a 3S lipo and no balancing taps, so how did i answer my own ? !
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

I have a 3S lipo and no balancing taps, so how did i answer my own ? !
You dont have balancing taps so therefore you cannot balance your lipo's.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Lord

got a ? is there a active balancer that can be used with the Duratrax ICE charger? I would rather charge and balance at the same time then charge then balance. lol
Believe the LBA10 can be run in both modes, passive stand alone, just connected to batt and active mode connected to charger and batt thru main power leads and the balance connector. Hyperion calls it connect mode - here's manual for better description -

http://www.allerc.com/Pictures/LBA10...Manual-ENG.pdf

I've had lipos with no balance taps too (integy), they don't intend for you to balance them for whatever reason. Just use them until they degrade and replace with better, this time with balance tap.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Believe the LBA10 can be run in both modes, passive stand alone, just connected to batt and active mode connected to charger and batt thru main power leads and the balance connector. Hyperion calls it connect mode - here's manual for better description -

http://www.allerc.com/Pictures/LBA10...Manual-ENG.pdf

I've had lipos with no balance taps too (integy), they don't intend for you to balance them for whatever reason. Just use them until they degrade and replace with better, this time with balance tap.
Thanks, that helps!