Wiki Posts
Search

High dollar radios

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default High dollar radios

What's so special about high dollar radios that I cant live without? I got my EPA thats all I need right? or am i sadly mistaken?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

well adjustability, model memory and i guess more stuff that can be used as a professional rc racer to set up a car. almost forgot response. other than that i really dont know.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Try a $100 radio and then try and a $300 + radio and tell me there isn't a difference.

They feel better, have more features ( some usefull, some not) , and actually feel faster ( response time).
Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think a lot of the "feel" to a radio is what you want it to be... You spend $300 to $400 on a radio and you make it feel better.. lol

I've used everything from back 17+ years ago an Airtronics VT2P Vector to my current Airtronics M8 Spektrum setup... ya there are some nice things on higher end radios.. sub trims.. model memories and the godsend of them all 2.4ghz!!

I had used an Airtronics 3P Caliber for nearly 10 years of my racing career... that was until I let a little buddy of mine drive my car and he dropped it... broke it.. so that's when I just said oh well and bought my M8 around 4 years ago... *sigh*

The only radio I may go to next is a Spektrum DX3R.. I like the feel.. not like the M11 very heavy.. or that Futaba Sledge Hammer Mallet thing!

Even more budget oriented radios have more than enough settings and model memories these days..

Jerome
Old 08-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smb17
What's so special about high dollar radios that I cant live without? I got my EPA thats all I need right? or am i sadly mistaken?
If you must ask then you either don't want one or need one.

If you ever get a chance to try one out then you'll never go back to cheap radios.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I made the move to a high end radio this year. I had always used mid ranged radios like the DX 2.0. They worked great but as my driving improved I wanted more of a precise radio and features like expo. I bought a DX3R and love it. So if you don't feel you need a high end radio then you don't. But if you feel you need one then get one. There are guys at my track who are as fast and faster than me that use mid range radios...so a high end radio won't make you faster, but it will give you more options for your setup.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I made the move to a high end radio this year. I had always used mid ranged radios like the DX 2.0. They worked great but as my driving improved I wanted more of a precise radio and features like expo. I bought a DX3R and love it. So if you don't feel you need a high end radio then you don't. But if you feel you need one then get one. There are guys at my track who are as fast and faster than me that use mid range radios...so a high end radio won't make you faster, but it will give you more options for your setup.
Right, feel means EVERYTHING when it comes to radios & a car's handling traits. That's why there is no single radio(or chassis design) that's best for everyone. Some guys will feel a noticable difference between budget radios & a high-end one, while others won't(& those who generally can't usually won't benefit from an expensive one, so they really don't need to waste their money on it). So in the end, YOU are the only one who can answer that question, best thing I'd advise is to talk to your fellow racers localy & see if you can try a few different ones for yourself. If one in particular feels "right" to you, & you feel you can understand its menu system, then by all means, go for it, it'll probably help you(simply by being more comfortable for you, the more comfortable you are, the less likely you'll make any mistakes in a race because of distractions), but if they all seem to feel the same to you, then I wouldn't worry about it too much....