Wiki Posts
Search

Duratrax Ice Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Duratrax Ice Help Please

I just bought a new Ice charger and the temp sensor and as soon as I plug in the sensor the charger starts beeping and the bat temp too low message keeps flashing on the screen.I'm using this in my house and it's around sixty eight degrees inside.The bottom of the screen says that the temp is like -80 something degrees.I have tried plugging it in before giving it power,after and after the battery is warm and with the sensor in my hand but it keeps doing the same thing.Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on with this thing?Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sounds like a faulty temp probe. It may be shorted
Old 02-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Weird. I can plug mine in while turned on. Well, start by checking the obvious, apologies if this is redundant. Mine is white wire in front, red middle, black in back. Check the plug carefully, make sure the leads are all fully seated. I just tried putting the plug in at angles, sure enough at least once, when I think I was connecting the white/front side first, I got the beeping and too low temp mess. I started to try and pull the wires from the connector to really figure it out, but couldn't seem to get them out. And I'm willing to help, but only to a point!

If the connectors all check out, perhaps the sensor itself is not right somehow. These chargers are sorta common, especially at a race track. Try that if you can, find another one and plug your sensor into it.

Do you have a multi-meter, or access to one? I checked resistance on my sensor. I'm getting around 1.7Mohm from white to each red and black. Between red and black I'm seeing 47kohm.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

I went back and checked the voltage of the charger side connections, be damn careful if you try this, don't touch two pins at the same time! Checked for DC volts, I'm seeing nearly 5V on the front to back, front positive. About 0.7 middle to back, the remaining 4.25 or so front to middle. Positive was always towards the front.

Oh, and in case you are not familiar, the resistance I mentioned earlier might be the funny looking upside down U on the meter, if it doesn't say ohms. If I'm stating the obvious, my apologies, just trying to help.

Cheers
Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks for the help guys I think that I'm going to buy another sensor and try that and I hope that takes care of the problem.

Last edited by HWYSHREDDER78; 02-24-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: missed a letter